Hey everyone, new member here.

I recently traded my 2001 Honda 250EX for a 1985 XR200R. The bike is tight all around and looks like it wasn't used much in its life. However, there is a noise coming from the engine that's not from the crank. It's up in the head somewhere. I adjusted the vales and started the bike up, only to hear a slightly quieter noise which led my father and I to believe that it's the Cam chain. If the bike ends up needing one, where can I find an aftermarket chain? I've checked eBay, xrsonly, and the normal part sites and I am not able to find anyone who has a chain in stock. I called my local dealer and they said they could get one for $70, but I just think that I can find it online for cheaper. It doesn't have to be OEM.

Try rockymountainatvmc.com
They had one for my dads 87 xr200. After 30 years or so, my dads broke and messed some things up.

I was going to suggest bikebandit.com, but I looked for you. The oem cam chain isn't listed in the microfiche at all, which would usually mean oem isn't available any longer. If the dealer says they can get it, that might be a different story. BB doesn't list any aftermarket chains. 

One place you might look for aftermarket, is Amazon. 

I still have the bottom end from the '85 I picked up and it has the cam chain I'd say you can have, but I couldn't guarantee anything on it. Doesn't seem to have any play in it though.  

Good luck on your search 

The '84-'85 200r is becoming a pariah due to unavailability of top end parts. Camshaft and rocker wear have sidelined most of these otherwise nice bikes.

Sometimes parts pop up on ebay, snap them up quick if you find them.

your motor is a two year only deal, so that link is the wrong chain.  you need to make sure that the parts are for the RVFC motor.

If your cam isn't trashed Web cam can rebuild it for you, and maybe the rockers if they are not too bad.  Its expensive, but what can you do.

This is why the general feeling is to run not walk away from the '84-'85 200R

How many links is your old chain ?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, chadzu said:

The '84-'85 200r is becoming a pariah due to unavailability of top end parts.

Because they didn't sell well, because there were a bad design.
A good running 4 valve XR200 is worth $500 at best, why toss money at a non running example.

18 hours ago, arthur6 said:

Because they didn't sell well, because there were a bad design.
A good running 4 valve XR200 is worth $500 at best, why toss money at a non running example.

This one runs and rides, but I just believe it's the chain. The whole bike is very tight everywhere and nothing is loose, so I'd value this one over $500..

20 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

How many links is your old chain ?

Don't know yet. Haven't taken it apart.

its not the chain.  The tensioner on the rvfc bike is pretty slick and keeps the chain tight.

My guess is that you find very worn camshaft and rockers.

I hope not, and that it will be good to go.

2 hours ago, Avorocks said:

Don't know yet. Haven't taken it apart.

Why dont you count them while its still on there  :facepalm::D

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Why dont you count them while its still on there  :facepalm::D

Haven't taken the bike apart yet