Hello, 

I’m going to buy a new bike but I dont know wich one to pick. 

I am 5,7 feet tall (1m75) and 190lbs (85kg) and I am 16 years old. I have experience on a 125cc 4stroke pitbike and I was tired of riding with such low torque and power (and yes, it was a pretty agressive pitbike for its kind) . I drove it very hard so Im not afraid to give some gas in the corners.                                 I want to start with motocross as a hobby, and maybe a little competition in the future. Right now, I’ve only ridden in the woods or at an bmw parcour to hit some jumps.

so can you help me wich bike I should pick? I am doing all maintenance on my own, but a 250 requires less than a 125 so thats already an advantage.

All tips ale welcome!

thanks a lot! 

I think a 250 will be too much for you if you plan on racing or hitting jumps. It can be a little sketchy with the power.

You would be able to wring a 125 for all it’s worth and they are a lot more confidence building imo.

• Like 1

There is not a significant difference in maintenance between the two.  The 125 may wear engine parts a little faster because the rpms are greater, but the 250 will wear out consumables (tires, brakes, chain and sprockets, etc) faster because it weighs more and has more power.  

I would make the decision based on your skill level, and what you enjoy riding.  Since you are relatively new to the sport, a 125 is a great way to learn skills without constantly fighting the power of a 250.  

As for the fun factor, that is a matter of opinion.  I have been riding over 40 years, and I much prefer riding 125s (although I own both 125s and 250s).  However, a lot of guys just like the "twist and go" power of the bigger engine.  Only you can make that choice.  

• Like 1

Have a Honda CRF450x that is plenty fast...amazingly fast for this old Husky 390 desert rider. Just picked up a Honda 125 for the kids and wow is that thing fun. Flickable and so darn light...starting to wonder if I can sneak another 125 in the door. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pierre Legrand said:

Have a Honda CRF450x that is plenty fast...amazingly fast for this old Husky 390 desert rider. Just picked up a Honda 125 for the kids and wow is that thing fun. Flickable and so darn light...starting to wonder if I can sneak another 125 in the door. 

That’s when you buy one and say you’re fixing it for a friend! :ride:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

That’s when you buy one and say you’re fixing it for a friend! :ride:

I see you have some experience...heh.

I bought a bike off a guy once that had several bikes of different brands, and all had black plastics and no graphics or even stickers.  I asked him what was up with all the bikes that look the same, and he said that he could buy new bikes without the wife noticing...

• Like 3

heh...Was working on the CR125 last night and realized that none of my kids or wife ever visits me in the shop. Hmmm...realized that maybe a Trials bike would be a good idea. Started looking for one...hey the Wife is busy spending money on god knows what and she is probably happy I stay in the shop. 

I started my motocross life on a 2003 KX250 two-stroke. I was familiar with riding motorcycles but not motocrosses. Sure the bike had a lot of grunt and snap but I managed just fine on it even though people were telling me to get a 125. I just used my brain and common sense and survived the first two seasons on that bike. After that I went to a new 2007 KX450F. Power was incredible... could leave it in 3rd for the entire track it seemed... but it was heavy and not nearly as exciting as the two-stroke... I spent 2 years with that then took an 8 year hiatus.

Bike of choice for my return was a Yz125 (actually a 144 but they are very close). I am 240lbs and even with a 1 tooth larger front sprocket I'd say that for a small displacement bike it has NO PROBLEMS hauling my heavy butt around. I have no issues keeping up with most people and clearing all the jumps at my track... but it takes effort.. and that is the reason I wanted a 125..  for the involvement and excitement. I am constantly switching gears up and down between 2nd and 6th and the bike is pinned on any straight section. It's so much fun to wring this thing out. Jumping it is amazing... it's so light... I no longer fear getting a little squirllely in the air on this bike. The whole jumping thing has become an obsession with me now as I no longer have a a heavy 450 under me.

So.. like others have said... depends on what youre looking for. I'm not at the track to win any races or pass guys... I'm there to enjoy myself and have as much fun as possible... I am going on my 3rd season with this yz now. I love it.

Edited by YZ144FirstTimer
  • Like 1

At your age and size you will learn more and better riding techniques on the 125. You will still be able to go fast but you will need to learn how.

• Like 4