DRZ-400 fishing rod holder

So I was looking for a way to mount a fishing rod to my DRZ.  I had been carrying break-down rods on the side of a backpack, but wanted to set it up so I could take long one piece rods with me.  I wanted something inconspicuous, solidly mounted, and easily removable.  I looked all over for ideas, but didn't find anything that struck me as awesome.  So I set off to the hardware store for a length of pipe.  Got the pipe and started positioning it all over the bike for ideas.  The I noticed the weird open bracket behind the passenger footpeg and the small hole in the plate next to the helmet lock.  Eureka!

So I cut the pipe to hold a rod, bolted some velcro to it.  Made a bent bracket that hooks over the opening on the passenger footpeg bracket.  Made another metal bracket that hooks into the hole by the helmet lock and is held in place by a wingnut for easy removal.  The result is a sturdy rod holder that can be affixed or removed in under a minute, and hangs the rod out the back of the bike at about a 45 degree angle.

I covered the whole thing with black duct tape so it would match my ride, and am very happy with the results of a few hours work.

Posting this in case anyone else is looking for ideas.

20180129_170120.jpg

20180129_170126.jpg

20180129_170132.jpg

20180129_165731.jpg

20180129_165800.jpg

20180129_165722.jpg

Edited by Bret Morey
  • Like 16

Nice, I used zip ties and Velcro to hold mine on my TW.

Pretty cool!  I fish a lot, and with my luck, I'd get all the way to the fishin' hole to discover the bale opened and all my line gone!  I find fishing gear too fragile to think about strapping a rod to my bike, I bought a 'pocket fisherman' years ago that I'll throw in a backpack and pedal-bike down to some remote ponds. It's just for fun, the pocket fisherman isn't the greatest gizmo for serious fishing

DUDE! we have almost the exact same license plate, same state, two #s off lol. i was looking to do the exact same thing with some tubular rod holders i got at wally world on my 250l. finally a use for those back pegs!

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Bret Morey said:

...  I wanted something inconspicuous, solidly mounted, and easily removable. 

Pretty cool, but I'm on the fence about inconspicuous.

fishing.jpg

• Like 2

I meant for the mount alone to be inconspicuous.  Obviously I want to be noticed when I am flying the Jolly roger.

• Like 1

are you near pittsburgh at all?

that could probably work for a hockey stick too.

I lived north of Pittsburgh (Leechburgh, Kittanning, then Butler) my whole life until I moved to central PA 4 years ago.  I am now in Central PA between Altoona and Huntingdon.  

Nice

I grew up in Allegheny twp and went to kiski area. I played hockey with a bunch of guys from kittanning/Ford city and Butler.

We would run 66 from leechburg to kittanning all the time then run 28 back from kittanning to harmarville (about 20- 25 miles) in 8 minutes. It was a good time lol.

Small world.  I grew up 2.5 miles from Kiski highschool on Mcgeary Hollow Road until I was 12 in, but them moved to Kittanning area.

I put many miles on that same route over the years, but always on 4 wheels back in those days, and I never made that kind of crazy time for those distances.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 0:25 PM, Bret Morey said:

I meant for the mount alone to be inconspicuous.  Obviously I want to be noticed when I am flying the Jolly roger.

I LIKE the Jolly Roger 

So I was looking for a way to mount a fishing rod to my DRZ.  I had been carrying break-down rods on the side of a backpack, but wanted to set it up so I could take long one piece rods with me.  I wanted something inconspicuous, solidly mounted, and easily removable.  I looked all over for ideas, but didn't find anything that struck me as awesome.  So I set off to the hardware store for a length of pipe.  Got the pipe and started positioning it all over the bike for ideas.  The I noticed the weird open bracket behind the passenger footpeg and the small hole in the plate next to the helmet lock.  Eureka!
So I cut the pipe to hold a rod, bolted some velcro to it.  Made a bent bracket that hooks over the opening on the passenger footpeg bracket.  Made another metal bracket that hooks into the hole by the helmet lock and is held in place by a wingnut for easy removal.  The result is a sturdy rod holder that can be affixed or removed in under a minute, and hangs the rod out the back of the bike at about a 45 degree angle.
I covered the whole thing with black duct tape so it would match my ride, and am very happy with the results of a few hours work.
Posting this in case anyone else is looking for ideas.

20180129_170120.jpg.5b1b97a8fcc2402199cfcaa82db400a8.jpg
20180129_170126.jpg.d01ee8016143bae5dedf2b89baa4517d.jpg
20180129_170132.jpg.edde90dd2dd271f7812fda242c21395d.jpg
20180129_165731.jpg.6927848a79f5dbef384a295e266fba85.jpg
20180129_165800.thumb.jpg.7762b95152a9de6ff42cb7e6e4d50257.jpg
20180129_165722.jpg.eedfad0f57fa621ebc820341e7b2500d.jpg

I like your concept. I have a metal detector and I have been thinking of ways to carry it. Maybe I can build on your idea to mount in this location. I was originally looking to mount on the handle bars, but now I will look at the side mount. Excellent innovation to a problem. Keep up the good inventions and sharing! Thanks