Anybody Running a Shorty Exhaust?

Hi Guys,

Is anybody running the FMF Shorty Q Stealth exhaust available through Beta parts? Any thoughts? After cleaning up the bike I noted the stock exhaust is getting knocked around and I like the idea of a more protected/lighter exhaust. Is the shorty quieter than the stock exhaust? 

I also saw that the shorty is more than half the cost (AUD300) of a replacement stock muffler. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Ic0nic said:

Hi Guys,

Is anybody running the FMF Shorty Q Stealth exhaust available through Beta parts? Any thoughts? After cleaning up the bike I noted the stock exhaust is getting knocked around and I like the idea of a more protected/lighter exhaust. Is the shorty quieter than the stock exhaust? 

I also saw that the shorty is more than half the cost (AUD300) of a replacement stock muffler. 

Thanks!

Im running the shorty on my 17' 250RR.  People often comment on how quiet my bike is.  I never ran the stocker so I can't compare the two.  

IMG_6960.jpg

• Like 4

I got one. I think it sounds the same as the stocker. I like that it's lighter. Little snappier, but not much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Baxter67 said:

I cut 3 inches off my stocker, I hardly notice a difference with the sound.

I considered this but the price of a replacement stock exhaust has well and truly scared me away. 

I see new stock mufflers on eBay for 75$ all the time. Take offs from the guys that require sparkys. We require them here in the PNW, so my stocker is just collecting dust on the shelf, untouched.

• Like 1

I have the Stock, Q Stealth shorty and the PC Shorty. Q Stealth has a Spark arrester in it, I feel it does not rev out as well as the stocker but does have a nice sound to it. The PC shorty is the best for over rev but it is obnoxiously loud (I love it but others do not), it is way smaller than the other options too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

I see new stock mufflers on eBay for 75$ all the time. Take offs from the guys that require sparkys. We require them here in the PNW, so my stocker is just collecting dust on the shelf, untouched.

That's why I cut mine down, i had to get a sparky and the stock exhaust was just sitting around, then I read that some guys were cutting about 3 inches off so I just did it to mine to see how it was, I only use it when I'm riding in the high desert or adobe hills in late fall, winter and early spring.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ic0nic said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Im running a pc shorty. It’s atiny bit louder than stock and it’s cheap and way lighter. Moto9 had it on his beta 300 weight loss thread and theres a vid of a Beta 300 running a pc shorty on an mx track so you can hear how loud. If I remember right his name has a kx in it. It didn’t need a jetting change. It’s just bolt on.. I figure the stealth might be better as far as quiet? Idk.

Are you dudes just marking it and cutting the shell with a hack saw?!

1 hour ago, NW_drZ said:

I cut mine awhile ago, works great and not loud.  It has a lot of packing area, more so than a typical MX round shorty.

Put some masking tape around the can centered in the area of the cut, 3" back from the current edge.  Measure 3" from edge in 1/2" increments and make a dot on the tape.  Take the can apart, connect the dots and cut.  This retains the stock angle.  Mark and drill holes for endcap.  Cut core 3" to match.  Smooth edges and reassemble.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NW_drZ said:

My friend with a race 300 did exactly that . I wanted to keep my stock slip on though

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

20 minutes ago, randysoo said:

Wow good price!  Best price Ive seen!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

I used a band saw. Did it back in early 2013 before the shorty was even available. Saw FMF built Cody Webb one so we had to have one too. I cut it down a little shorter than the ones they sell. 

Funny thing was when a repacked itni did it  too tight. Bike was too loud and didn't pass sound test at an Endurocross. They let him ride anyways, but you could really hear it everytime he got on the pipe!

If you don't need a Sprarky the Scalvini mufflers have been working great. Even the long Scalvini is small and a lot lighter than the Shorty FMF. 

IMG_2907.thumb.JPG.0824dcd8dd22761e7bd1d03dd48c5eeb.JPG

image.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

So does a shorter muffler affect power in any way?

Should increase low-mid power...however, from past experiences with my yz, the difference was negligible.