New rear spring...Factory Connection

So I emailed Factory Connection today to see what spring rate I need for the rear as I’m about 6’2” 220 lbs without gear. I also asked for a baseline front fork PSI to start at. This is what I received:

Nicholas, 

The spring series we made for your bike is limited when it comes to larger/stiffer rates.  

The spring rate you need is 5.9/6.0 range. We don’t sell that over the counter as it requires special installation process.  So we can’t sell the spring “over the counter”.  It would have to be installed at our shop.  

Fork PSI I would recommend:

Inner 160 psi

Outer 11 psi

Balance 160 psi

Are they blowing smoke up my ass? What kind of ‘special installation’ could a spring take? I’ve changed and removed them before but not on a 16’ CRF before.

Also, aren’t those psi settings for the Kawasaki KYB? I don’t think the psf2 have inner/outer/balance do they? Maybe he was having a bad day...or maybe I’m an idiot. FC’s website list there spring as ALS-0059. Can I not just order this spring and install it to set my sag correctly? Help?

19 minutes ago, NickC18 said:

So I emailed Factory Connection today to see what spring rate I need for the rear as I’m about 6’2” 220 lbs without gear. I also asked for a baseline front fork PSI to start at. This is what I received:

Nicholas, 

The spring series we made for your bike is limited when it comes to larger/stiffer rates.  

The spring rate you need is 5.9/6.0 range. We don’t sell that over the counter as it requires special installation process.  So we can’t sell the spring “over the counter”.  It would have to be installed at our shop.  

Fork PSI I would recommend:

Inner 160 psi

Outer 11 psi

Balance 160 psi

Are they blowing smoke up my ass? What kind of ‘special installation’ could a spring take? I’ve changed and removed them before but not on a 16’ CRF before.

Also, aren’t those psi settings for the Kawasaki KYB? I don’t think the psf2 have inner/outer/balance do they? Maybe he was having a bad day...or maybe I’m an idiot. FC’s website list there spring as ALS-0059. Can I not just order this spring and install it to set my sag correctly? Help?

We do...

https://thumpertalk.com/shop/Factory-Connection-Shock-Springs-5-9kg-mm-ALS-0059-p4155944.html

As of NOW, 2 in stock.

• Like 2

Should’ve been a little more clear...I can definitely get the spring. I’ve found multiple places that I can get it from. I actually live down the street from their PA office. Just thought it was odd and wanted to see if there was something special about the 16’ that needed this ‘special installation.’ Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, NickC18 said:

Should’ve been a little more clear...I can definitely get the spring. I’ve found multiple places that I can get it from. I actually live down the street from their PA office. Just thought it was odd and wanted to see if there was something special about the 16’ that needed this ‘special installation.’ Thanks guys!

Well, if you put the spring on yourself, they dont get paid...so...it's special. Your move.

The only "issue" I can see is that the collar's dont go down very far, so at full loose, you may have to muscle the spring down to manipulate the retainer free.

• Like 1

Ive heard of guys collapsing the spring a little bit with a bunch of zip ties. A BUNCH of really BIG zip ties. Little bit at a time, around and around a couple of the coils. The spring gets shorter, you mount it...cut the ties...

8 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Well, if you put the spring on yourself, they dont get paid...so...it's special. Your move.

The only "issue" I can see is that the collar's dont go down very far, so at full loose, you may have to muscle the spring down to manipulate the retainer free.

This makes sense, but still I can't believe they don't sell it over the counter.  Some money is better than no money.

1 minute ago, Fenmore said:

This makes sense, but still I can't believe they don't sell it over the counter.  Some money is better than no money.

• Like 1

I bought my rear spring over the counter.  I did the same thing, called them up asked what spring rate then bought it on eBay (can't beat free shipping) to get through the first few weekends (I'm 6' 1" and 220).  I did end up sending my suspension to FC (which was pretty damn good considering the limitations of the PSF II).  I now run 2013 CRF250 Forks set up by FC, they are amazing.

The install is just a standard install, I've removed it and replaced it many times.

IMG_1020.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks ATC. Exactly what I was looking for...I can get the spring for $98 shipped on Amazon so I’m gonna place my order. 

Were almost the exact same height and weight...do you remember what psi you ran in the forks? Just looking for a baseline as I think the psi acts as the ‘spring rate’ for the forks if I’m not mistaken...

8 hours ago, atc250r18 said:

I bought my rear spring over the counter.  I did the same thing, called them up asked what spring rate then bought it on eBay (can't beat free shipping) to get through the first few weekends (I'm 6' 1" and 220).  I did end up sending my suspension to FC (which was pretty damn good considering the limitations of the PSF II).  I now run 2013 CRF250 Forks set up by FC, they are amazing.

The install is just a standard install, I've removed it and replaced it many times.

IMG_1020.jpg

If I remember right 36.5 seemed to work the best with stock valving and balance springs.

• Like 1

That person is just trying to make money on you as said before,  call them or stop by and maybe another person will sell it to you.  If not, it's not like it has to be a FC spring...Does it?

On 1/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, HRC27 said:

That person is just trying to make money on you as said before,  call them or stop by and maybe another person will sell it to you.  If not, it's not like it has to be a FC spring...Does it?

Attaining the spring is not the problem...I was only after the spring rate when I emailed them. The point of this thread was to see if I was missing something with the 16’ and FC telling me it needed a ‘special install.’ 5.9 spring is already ordered and should be here soon!