FCR MX Slide Roller Replacement

Hello all, 

I appreciate the help this forum has given me over the past couple of years. I recently picked up an '01 DRZ400s and decided to do the FCR carb swap. I feel pretty confident that I managed to read almost all of the valuable threads regarding the CV to FCR swaps on this forum and others. 

Being a fairly competent mechanic, I opted to pick up a local FCR MX off of a YFZ450 from Craigslist. I've rebuilt quite a few carbs and I feel like I now have a greater appreciation for why the experienced group recommends people go for the new FCR swap kit or something that's off of a validated running bike. There are so many moving parts inside of the FCRs that are prone to wear, the margin for issues can grow pretty large. It was my first time inside of one, so I know for the future. 

Regardless, I have a used MX that was worked on with heavy hands and I'll do my best to make it run for me. Moving parts are in pretty fair condition as far as I can tell, but I'm having some issues with the rollers on the slide. There are 3 rollers which are fixed with bearings and 1 that's removable. 2 fixed ones with bearings have a little drag and you can feel that the bearings have some wear. It's not terrible, but I'd like it sorted while it's opened up. 

Prior to replacing a slide, my questions are:

Could these bearings be gently removed and replaced with the rollers that don't have bearings? https://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/021_027_su.html

Are there replacements for just the sealed bearings? I assume you'd have to take measurements and just find aftermarket ones, which is likely not worth it at all. 

Has anyone found any good tricks for cleaning these bearings? I believe they're sealed, which is generally a tough one to fix. I've heard of people soaking sealed bearings in solvent for 24 hours and then heating the bearing before spinning the solvent out. 

Thanks for your help,

Flick the cap off & take some bearing measurements - see if you can match something up

yz.jpg.eeb571e0ea8109afeb0851736a5b1809.jpg

Thanks, SOANZ. My head went there too. 

Since I don't have small precision pullers I think I'll support the bearing from the bottom with thin metal plate and tap the 'axle' shaft with a small punch.

2 minutes ago, odyssey said:

Thanks, SOANZ. My head went there too. 

Since I don't have small precision pullers I think I'll support the bearing from the bottom with thin metal plate and tap the 'axle' shaft with a small punch.

Yeah something like that   :thumbsup:

I always appreciate a good follow-up so I'm returning to report my failure. 

The bearings were very difficult to fixture due to the minimal clearance between them and the slide so I opted to carefully pry them off. The shaft that the bearing rides on is not integral to the slide body, but rather a steel (I think) shaft that's pressed into a hole. The fit was tighter between shaft and bearing than shaft and slide so the shafts came out with the bearings... so I was kinda shafted.  

Upon close inspection, I could see that even gentle prying around the edges caused the hole to expand and lose concentrically. The bearings appear to be 3mm ID x 4mm width x 10mm OD, which is standard. I think that if you really wanted to do this it could be done should you fixture it just right, but it's probably a waste of time. I'd recommend being patient and sober too. 

I bought a used slide on eBay for $40 shipped and the seller said the rollers spun freely - if I'm not satisfied he'll take it back. 

It was worth a shot