YZ250X in the crate...

Where do I go these days to get a new bike still in the crate? I don't like the local dealer, they're overpriced and arrogant... I can do set up better than them....

I want a new 250X!

Do something plumb crazy, call some other yamaha dealers.

Good luck, I tried hard. I told them I’d waive the 30 warranty. Yamaha is strict on this. You have to know someone. This is as close as I got..

IMG_7111.thumb.jpg.2a85404290dbe94ab18279bbf908d7eb.jpgIMG_7109.thumb.jpg.2b33a4919ce20021050f26787aa577c2.jpg

It’s pretty hard to get any bike in the crate still unless you specifically ask and put a deposit down before they get them, or you know someone. 

I know for a fact that KTMs have to be uncrated, programmed, registered with KTM, and ran before they are sold.

Yamaha probably requires it as a liability thing.

The person who prepped mine put the right side wheel spacer in backwards didn’t oil the air filter, and handlebars installed with no regards to the grid that would make it real easy to get right.

2 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Where do I go these days to get a new bike still in the crate? I don't like the local dealer, they're overpriced and arrogant... I can do set up better than them....

I want a new 250X!

Talk to the guys at MOTOCITY in Athem. I know they have none, but thats not to say they cant get you one if you special order. 

I think all the other dealers in Phoe have Cranial Rectum Idis... 

1 hour ago, MaybeMe said:

It’s pretty hard to get any bike in the crate still unless you specifically ask and put a deposit down before they get them, or you know someone. 

I know for a fact that KTMs have to be uncrated, programmed, registered with KTM, and ran before they are sold.

Yamaha probably requires it as a liability thing.

I had a 08 SM610 shipped to me back in the day, and uncrated it myself. Oh what a feeling.

I've been lucky enough , to uncrate and assemble two . My -X ,and My daughter and I got to put together her 2014 YZ-125 . I picked her up from school and took her to the back of the dealership and showed her the crate and then we went to it . Now that was a special father daughter moment . And it's very true , you have to have a great relationship with your dealer !

It’s against the rules for dealers to sell bikes uncreated and prepped as far as I know....

28 minutes ago, ckny said:

It’s against the rules for dealers to sell bikes uncreated and prepped as far as I know....

Well , I worked at this dealership for about 10 years in total . And used to do most of the PDI . Some dealers at one time the next big town over used to pay a company to do all assembly work to save money . As far as I know they never let anyone else do it , unless they had worked there at the dealership .  I had to fill out the PDI sheet as I was the one who assembled it . And saved $100.00 in the process . 

6 minutes ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Well , I worked at this dealership for about 10 years in total . And used to do most of the PDI . Some dealers at one time the next big town over used to pay a company to do all assembly work to save money . As far as I know they never let anyone else do it , unless they had worked there at the dealership .  I had to fill out the PDI sheet as I was the one who assembled it . And saved $100.00 in the process . 

My local dealer offers a racers prep option for people that are concerned about lack of grease, etc. They will grease all points with Belray waterproof grease and set up the bike for you personally. They always set my sag when I pick up the bike. They charge $50. They will not sell you a bike in a crate. A friend just bought a 250X in another province and they sold it to him in the crate. 

Who cares. Take the front wheel and handlebars off when you get home and pretend you got it crated. Who wants to deal with the packing materials anyway. Every bike I buy gets some level of tear down and prep by me before it is ridden anyway.

2 hours ago, mikedabike said:

Who cares. Take the front wheel and handlebars off when you get home and pretend you got it crated. Who wants to deal with the packing materials anyway. Every bike I buy gets some level of tear down and prep by me before it is ridden anyway.

In the crate, you’re already a few steps into teardown, plus sometimes you can get the assembly and prep fees waived. On top of that, you get the feeling of getting a bike straight from the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, MaybeMe said:

In the crate, you’re already a few steps into teardown, plus sometimes you can get the assembly and prep fees waived. On top of that, you get the feeling of getting a bike straight from the manufacturer.

And you get to insure grease is ooozing out of joints. 

Because it's just so fricken sexy... Good friends with shop owner, so when my BYOB came in, I was there to uncrate, and help prep. My SM610, I had to pick up at FedEx office in the crate and got to do it at home. Was from a back east dealer like I said. 

3 hours ago, mikedabike said:

IMG_0434.JPG

Ya, you're not saving much getting it in the crate as far as assembly goes, it's basically bars and front wheel, then you have to discard all the left over crate trash, and a bike out of the crate is easier to load and unload when you pick it up.

For liability reasons dealers have to pdi every unit sold and no real dealership would risk their business to move one unit in the crate to make a sale.

Freight and assembly charges are usually 90% profit, so if you can get a bike out the door at msrp + tax you're doing good, especially on a limited production model.....which is the norm these days.

Each year dealers have to submit sales projections for the next following year, so a dealer might project selling 10 yz 250x for the year 2019 but only get 5 and your larger dealerships with higher sales numbers get more units.....so a smaller dealer ship that also projects 10 yz250x may only get 3 and receiving them is spread out through the first 6 to 8 months dealers don't get all the units in one crack...all to keep margins up and avoid overstock.

Get on the phone and call the larger dealerships in your area or how far you're willing to travel to save some coin, find out how many units they have in stock.

You'll have a better chance of getting a better deal at a dealership that has more units.....but then maybe not....we all know the game, no different than car shopping.

I don’t care if it’s crated or not..   I just don’t want it to have been started  (2 stroke).  Just keep calling dealers till one is agreeable to your terms and pricing... be prepared to drive..  

When I bought my bike I specified just that I wanted the bike with zero hrs.  After I picked mine up I took it home changed the plastics, wheel set, greased everything, changed Jets, changed air filter, changed handlebars, changed case fluid, changed sprockets,  set sag ect..  went through whole bike.. Then did break in.   I still have the brand new 250X wheel set..lol

So I don’t mind it being out of the crate but I won’t pay for setup either..   After searching for two days, I picked mine up for 6800 OTD no extra fees.....I payed NV sales tax when I got home..  I was willing to pay MSRP and that’s it.  They can jockey the numbers however they want but that’s all I will pay...  Locally, they wanted 8300$ after all the BS and fees...

Also, It helps your negotiating platform if you have outside financing or cash in hand...  I showed up loaded the bike wrote the check and left took a total of 20 minutes.   It’s your money, make them compete for you business.  Whether I buy a bike or an ATV.  I’m buying a product, not a relationship.  I will never see that dealer again.  If they play ball I will give them a call for the next purchase..

About two yrs ago a VET A racer friend told me he buys all his Yamaha’s from a dealer in Indiana that drop ships the bikes new in the crate directly to him super price too.   He had just gotten a new WR450 that way and was about to order a new YZ250.  He gave me the name of the place and I looked em up at one point.. should have written that down..

5 hours ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

And you get to insure grease is ooozing out of joints. 

Because it's just so fricken sexy... Good friends with shop owner, so when my BYOB came in, I was there to uncrate, and help prep. My SM610, I had to pick up at FedEx office in the crate and got to do it at home. Was from a back east dealer like I said. 

IMG_0434.JPG

Save that little strap on the swingarm, best rear wheel tie down ever. And it only cost $10,000!

I've had my last several bikes shipped to me.  Most dealers insist on opening the crate, then putting the bike back in the crate.  I don't really care as long as the OTD price is fixed at purchase and it gets shipped to me by a date certain.  Any dealer should be able to ship bikes to you for $200-$400.  You can shop on Cycletrader.com and then follow up with phone calls.  As long as you're professional about it, most knowledgeable dealers will ship.  Bikes will arrive with the handlebars, front wheel and sometimes footpegs off.  

It makes no difference to me if a bike is in a crate or not,  I'm going to disassemble it a lot farther than it is in the crate anyway. Every bearing and pivot point will get grease, brakes will be bled, torque will be checked on every fastener,  etc...

Been looking on CT. I could just rebuild my 90 YZ-WR, but I want a new one....

My 03 WR450F is getting heavy....

You may want to check with Port Yamaha. They are very competitive on parts and they do ship bikes. I almost bought a bike from them a few years back as they had a better price shipped to me in Texas than anything I could do locally. There is also no tax since buying it out of state. I ended up buying a used bike locally.

https://portyamaha.com/Dealer-Info/About-Us

https://portyamaha.com/Motorcycles-Yamaha-YZ250X-2018-Port-Washington-WI-7cb02854-7fba-4e24-bfaa-a7900134c15c