CRF250R Rebuild?

I have a 2006 crf250r that has a bad (blown) top and bottom end. My local shop quoted me $1500-$2000 to rebuild it. Is it worth payng that much to rebuild it? Or should I try to sell it blown? A friend offered me $800 as is. Thanks.

I'd take the $800,

even with $2000 invested in the engine, there is still a 12 year old chassis around it

that likely needs some investment as well: suspension refurb, bearings, cables etc. etc.

IF the rest of the bike is in great shape AND, you could do all the work by yourself it may be an option

but adding shop fees (for engine and suspension work) will bump up the costs considerably.

As some members describe it, older 250F's are unfortunately disposable bikes,

more often than not costing more to rebuild (reliably, not just patched up) than the whole bike is actually worth.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

I understand. I was also thinking of putting a cr500 motor into it but I hear that gen 4 aluminum frames are difficult to use for a 500 swap. Is this right?

Myself having a spare rolling chassis like that would attempt to custom fit a CRF230F air cooled engine.

Ultimate recreational trail bike: 

-simplicity of a low maintenance air cooled engine

-wide ratio 6 speed gearbox

but in a good handling well suspended chassis with good brakes.

• Like 1

If you can't do the work yourself its not worth it, if you can it usually depends on the condition of the head and cylinder as that can easily add another $800 to the rebuild.

I have an 04 crf250f and its been great. How long have you had the bike and of you sold it what would you get to replace it?

56 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Myself having a spare rolling chassis like that would attempt to custom fit a CRF230F air cooled engine.

Ultimate recreational trail bike: 

-simplicity of a low maintenance air cooled engine

-wide ratio 6 speed gearbox

but in a good handling well suspended chassis with good brakes.

Even better if you send it to Terry Miller so it will end up a 270 stroker with Keihin PWK carb...

On 1/31/2018 at 10:11 AM, CRFRida1605 said:

If you can't do the work yourself its not worth it, if you can it usually depends on the condition of the head and cylinder as that can easily add another $800 to the rebuild.

I have an 04 crf250f and its been great. How long have you had the bike and of you sold it what would you get to replace it?

I have had it a little more than a year. Recently after blowing it up, I bought a 300 xcw.

I would take the 800 then, no point in rebuilding it if you have a better replacement already.

I eventually want to build a cr500af. I figured that I could keep the 250r for a few years, and when I get rid of my 300 buy a cr500 and complete the swap. Why sell this bike with a bad motor, and have to buy another one for the 500 swap? Im all over the place whether to sell it/rebuild it/or swap it. Thanks for all the positive imput.

• Like 1

I ride a 05 CRF250 with a KX500 motor and love it.  If you got the fab skills I'd stick with your plan or just pick up a 500 now and build the bike up while your still riding the 300. 

My plan sounds great in my head, but in reality I can't afford to pick up a cr500 right now. 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:01 PM, VortecCPI said:

Even better if you send it to Terry Miller so it will end up a 270 stroker with Keihin PWK carb...

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of putting a 230 eninine in in the first place?

If you are goining that route, why not do it right and use the CR500 motor. 

• Like 1