Boots....high end used or new low end??

$150 I would get the proven Alpinestar Tech 1. Don't buy someone else's clapped boots with foot fungus when you can buy a new pair of good quality astars. Your boots can save your feet/legs from serious injury so get the best pair you can afford. Guaranteed any boot will be cheaper than your first visit to the ER with a mangled leg.

• Like 3

Of all the gear I wear my boots get tested and proven the most by far, banging into rocks, stumps, under fallen bike.  I've spared myself numerous likely trips to the E.R. b/c I invested $500 on a pair of Crossfires.  Well worth it in my opinion.

• Like 4

I bought used. The G12's your looking at, and a pair of 10's, both about that price. Spray with Lysol, good to go. Gearne's are really well built boots. I've had them both for over 4 yrs., still going strong. My friend bought Fox Comp 5's and said they were falling apart after a couple rides.

• Like 1

You get what you pay for.  I bought some Sidi SRS in winter 2103, paid a bunch for them, but am still wearing them as I can't seem to ruin the boots.  My brother, who insists on buying 130-150 dollar boots, has bought sometimes a pair every year.  By my calculations he has spent over 700 dollars to be unhappy with his ragged out boots for the last 5 seasons, my Sidi's are still going strong, replaced the soles once, and they still keep out the water.

I wouldn't be afraid of a quality used boot, provided they are in reasonable shape.

• Like 5

I'd buy used good boots Ina second, if I could find my size. I'm a 7, but most I've seen on CL or eBay are size 10's.

It's funny, people's experiences with boots are as varied as with bikes. Back about 4 years ago when I was just starting to get seriously back into riding, I bought a pair of the cheapo Mavericks just to "get me by." Well, I'm still wearing them lol. They're getting worn out now, but no breaks or soles falling off. The main problem is they're becoming uncomfortable as the upper is weakening and creases across the front are digging into my shin. I will admit that I don't ride as often as many others here, being a family head with a busy schedule. But I'd say I've probably got between 150-200 hours out of them. They did their job, but my next pair is going to be more expensive for the comfort level.

For OP, check RMATV. They have a clearance section and you can find $200 boots for $99.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drumiv said:

I bought used. The G12's your looking at, and a pair of 10's, both about that price. Spray with Lysol, good to go. Gearne's are really well built boots. I've had them both for over 4 yrs., still going strong. My friend bought Fox Comp 5's and said they were falling apart after a couple rides.

Thats what i was thinking, my last pair of cheap fox boots were starting to come apart on the second ride. Took them back where i got them and they basically said what do you expect for $175 bucks, then tried selling me a pair of gearnes for over 600 bones. 

I've got a pair of Fox Comps that I've used for a couple years.  They looks well built (for the price point) and unless there was a manufacturing problem I can's see them just falling apart after a couple rides.  With that being said they are stupid stiff and never break in.  I would only recommend them as a last resort.  

My other boots are Alpinstars and they are much better.  I forget what I paid for them but I don't remember them breaking the bank.

New vs used is a gamble.  If I was strapped for cash I might consider used but I'd have to see them in person first.  Buying used on eBay is a big gamble.  You might make out great or you might get junk.

Doc

2 hours ago, poldies4 said:

You get what you pay for.  I bought some Sidi SRS in winter 2103, paid a bunch for them, but am still wearing them as I can't seem to ruin the boots.  My brother, who insists on buying 130-150 dollar boots, has bought sometimes a pair every year.  By my calculations he has spent over 700 dollars to be unhappy with his ragged out boots for the last 5 seasons, my Sidi's are still going strong, replaced the soles once, and they still keep out the water.

I wouldn't be afraid of a quality used boot, provided they are in reasonable shape.

I just bought the same boot. You never see them used, or I would have done that instead of new. Worth the money, very nice boot.

• Like 1

If you have to scrimp on gear buy $300. boots and a $50. helmet. Boots are your most important piece of safety gear, if you can find good used boots in your size that's OK, but don't accept anything less than a proper fit.

Worst advice of the day. As a firefighter/Aemt who, I’m sure sees head trauma more than most people do, I can’t disagree more. I’m not saying you need a $500 helmet but please don’t take this guy’s advice. I see his point albeit ignorant and off the hip , but a ankle or tib/fib will heal.... you crack your head and you’re getting coloring books for the rest of your life or holding down a hospital bed until your family decides you can finally die.
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, YAMAHA NICK said:

Worst advice of the day. As a firefighter/Aemt who, I’m sure sees head trauma more than most people do, I can’t disagree more. I’m not saying you need a $500 helmet but please don’t take this guy’s advice. I see his point albeit ignorant and off the hip , but a ankle or tib/fib will heal.... you crack your head and you’re getting coloring books for the rest of your life or holding down a hospital bed until your family decides you can finally die.

I understand your issue here for sure but I think what he was saying is that you can buy a SNELL/DOT approved helmet at very reasonable prices. Buying expensive helmets doesn't necessarily mean you are getting more or better protection. It usually means they are lighter, better venting, removeable pads to clean, etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, YAMAHA NICK said:

I'd say that calling my post "off the hip" shows your ignorance. I'll wager that I have a LOT more years of observing dirt bike injuries than you do of head trauma.

For the record I don't suggest buying cheap protective gear of any sort, but if you have to prioritize you should consider that boots can prevent crippling injuries and will likely be called upon to do so on a regular basis. A helmet will likely be tested far less often, and then the difference between a cheap helmet and a top quality will very rarely make a difference. Obviously any rider who wants all the odds in their own favor should buy the best gear they can find.

I should mention that in my decades of experience I did see one rider die from head injuries. His helmet was not a cheap model but was found to have a worn out liner and should have been replaced.

Edited by motovita

I got a $50 helmet on closeout back in 2012/13 but its more like a $300 helmet when it was new. But that was some pretty dumb advice.

IMG_0687.jpg

12 hours ago, Shields164 said:

I recommend fox boots I think the comp 5's are on sale. 

Fox Comp 5 are CRAAAAP.  They offer no more protection than a pair of running shoes.  Before I knew any better I wore a pair of Comp 5's for years.  Make the switch to good boots and you will quickly understand how bad those Fox boots are.

• Like 3