M.Roman

Trials Crosstraining

137 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Survivor said:

What the best way to carry a Beta Evo 200 Trial Bike without damaging the fork seal and making sure the bike doesn't move in the trailer?

I'm not convinced that fork seal damage is a real issue, but it is talked about on the Internet. I use moderate pressure on the straps to the front fork, and some hardware store turnbuckles and carabeners on the pegs. It does not move

Beta_At_Bakers.jpg

2 people like this

Even only torqued down half ways, the bike will stay put. For it to lean either way, the forks would have to compress further, which isn't gonna happen.

If you're one of "those guys" who really torques things like a gorilla, I've seen guys cut soft wood (for ex. pine 2x4) to length and place between the bottom triple clamp and the fender. Gotta be careful with that, too, so as to not bend the mount. Lots of different tricks out there.

I've never had a bike come loose just from torquing to about half compression. Especially a lower, light trials bike.

I'm not convinced that fork seal damage is a real issue, but it is talked about on the Internet. I use moderate pressure on the straps to the front fork, and some hardware store turnbuckles and carabeners on the pegs. It does not move
Beta_At_Bakers.thumb.jpg.66108b75bc1a33f7574e4cd3cc9f2e18.jpg

Pat, that bike looks awesome!
1 person likes this

There's two key elements I've noticed with the Beta trials bikes verses all the other brands when we're talking about 2T models...

Although no one has been able to confirm the rake of any of the bikes I've ridden, the Beta has a noticeably steeper rake. The steering angle of my Betas have been tighter than the Serco, GG, and Scorpa. I can't say from experience for Honda, TRS, or Vertigo but Beta USA does claim they have the tightest angle on their site. For me, Endo-ing Betas are damn near effortless, but always seems to be challenging on any other brand.

The next is the power delivery. On my Sherco 125 vs Beta 125, straight out of the box the Beta felt smoother but less powerful. The Sherco has good snap, and power but was twitchy in comparison. After riding the Beta for a few weeks I got the titanium header pipe ( which is no longer available from Beta  :thumbsdn: ), and the bike came alive! I expected it to have lost its smoothness in sacrifice for power but it didn't. That same smoothness I grew to love was still there, but when I needed more top end I knew it would deliver.

I think S3 makes a titanium pipe for the Beta now, I have one for the Sherco, and its a really nice quality add on. Next upgrade will be their Double-Hi Comp Star Head :eek:

57 minutes ago, M.Roman said:

There's two key elements I've noticed with the Beta trials bikes verses all the other brands when we're talking about 2T models...

Although no one has been able to confirm the rake of any of the bikes I've ridden, the Beta has a noticeably steeper rake. The steering angle of my Betas have been tighter than the Serco, GG, and Scorpa. I can't say from experience for Honda, TRS, or Vertigo but Beta USA does claim they have the tightest angle on their site. For me, Endo-ing Betas are damn near effortless, but always seems to be challenging on any other brand.

The next is the power delivery. On my Sherco 125 vs Beta 125, straight out of the box the Beta felt smoother but less powerful. The Sherco has good snap, and power but was twitchy in comparison. After riding the Beta for a few weeks I got the titanium header pipe ( which is no longer available from Beta  :thumbsdn: ), and the bike came alive! I expected it to have lost its smoothness in sacrifice for power but it didn't. That same smoothness I grew to love was still there, but when I needed more top end I knew it would deliver.

I think S3 makes a titanium pipe for the Beta now, I have one for the Sherco, and its a really nice quality add on. Next upgrade will be their Double-Hi Comp Star Head :eek:

Yeah the Beta front ends are way tucked in compared to other brands. One of the reasons they can turn the tightest. I always put it like this. If you use proper technique it's a huge advantage. If not it can get you in trouble. 

On the power, we found that the Beta 125's have more bottom end and mid range power than the others. However they won't rev out as far. By that I mean the kind of stuff where you hold it WFO for 3 seconds before launching. Nothing is normal Trials riders do. I also recommend using a 110-112 main jet. That may be why the one you rode/have isn't as lively? I know that's a huge jump from stock, but it works well. Between my two kids we've had 5 EVO 125's and my oldest son Ty won the 125cc Expert National championship a few years ago. I've spent a lot of time tuning them! Also the Factory Edtion 125's do run stronger than the standard version. 

We have a full Arrow titanium exhaust system for the 125 EVO. It makes the bottom and mid even stronger. Plus it's cool looking and a lot lighter. 

IMG_3130.PNG

Edited by ccullins
2 people like this

On 2/3/2018 at 4:08 PM, kawagumby said:

I'm getting a Gas Gas 250 Contact next week.  It comes with the larger tank (3.7 qt) the seat, and an....Electric start.  Here in the US the MSRP is $5999, which is considerably less than most trials bikes out there.  The tank, seat add-on's I've priced were fairly expensive, so that cooled me to that idea on a std trials bike. I have read a lot of reviews on this bike, and virtually all that have ridden the bike have nothing but good to say about it.  The only drawbacks noted are the non-adjustable suspension (other than shock preload) and the tires are tube-type rather than tubeless.  The engine, tranny are the same as the more expensive 250 model.  Those same reviewers, all trials riders, say the suspension is good as-is, and will only be noticeable for those who are experienced intermediate or better, but even then, the result is not a bad ride, simply less accomplished at that level. One fellow who was heavier said a change of fork oil was all he needed to make the forks work for him.

If you're like me and often end up with upside-down bikes that have a habit of being harder to start as a result, the electric start is golden. It also has the kick start, BTW.  I have a great local Beta dealer who sells trials bikes (I bought both my Beta's from him), but the Beta trials bikes are pretty expensive, IMO, for someone who is not yet ready for prime-time, such as myself.

Here's one review with some spec's :   https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/08/18/2017-gas-gas-contact-250-review-dual-purpose-motorcycle/

Here's a video of some of Dirtrider mag's mx testers trying out the GG contract - you can get a feel for how the bike runs watching it.

https://www.dirtrider.com/fast-moto-guys-on-trials-bikes-video

I have been talking to a few dealers about the Gas Gas Contact ES as I am very interested.   Getting mixed information on whether 1. I can tuck the battery in the frame so I can more easily remove the seat as desired and 2. whether the GP/TXT upgraded shock can be installed on the Contact.   Anyone have ideas ?

17 minutes ago, Survivor said:

Is there any other protection recommended beside hand guard for the Trials bike?   

No on the hand guards unless you are inclined to taking big risks in respect to serious wrist injury or worse.

I have a 2018 Beta 200 pretty well done deal but as my age (getting closer to 70) and knee conditions (many surgeries and permanent damage) and my light weight (146 pounds in street clothing),I am wondering if I would not be better with the 2018 Beta Evo Factory compare to the 2018 Beta Evo 200. I am sure the dealer would not mind if I buy one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Survivor said:

I have a 2018 Beta 200 pretty well done deal but as my age (getting closer to 70) and knee conditions (many surgeries and permanent damage) and my light weight (146 pounds in street clothing),I am wondering if I would not be better with the 2018 Beta Evo Factory compare to the 2018 Beta Evo 200. I am sure the dealer would not mind if I buy one or the other.

Get the best because your not gonna take it with you.The most prolific rider in our club just turned seventy,btw.

Edited by widebear

23 minutes ago, Survivor said:

Is there any other protection recommended beside hand guard for the Trials bike?   

Not the usual serious hand guards that we use on enduro bikes. Some trials guys run "bar ends" which are pieces of aluminum that go into the end, so you have something hard to land on the ground. Might add 1/2" or so to each end, so also keeps some lever damage away.

1 person likes this

Just now, widebear said:

Get the best because your not gonna take it with you.

3 minutes ago, Survivor said:

I forgot to specify the 2018 Beta Evo factory would be a 125 not a 200...

1 hour ago, MotoMarty said:

I have been talking to a few dealers about the Gas Gas Contact ES as I am very interested.   Getting mixed information on whether 1. I can tuck the battery in the frame so I can more easily remove the seat as desired and 2. whether the GP/TXT upgraded shock can be installed on the Contact.   Anyone have ideas ?

Regarding relocating the battery, it is not possible (IMO) to tuck it in the frame anywhere.  The battery is exceptionally small,  2.25 X 4.25 X 3.375 inches +/-, but there is nowhere in the frame that is open enough to take it, further, the starter relay is attached to the battery directly which is clustered with some other wiring items, so it's a no go.  Although I'm a beginner trials bike rider, I think the seat is situated low enough that it really won't matter for nearly any maneuver. I can lean the bike way over with no contact issues at all.  If you are in a situation where you really don't want the seat or need the starter, you can always install some electrical disconnects to make the removal quick and easy (it uses a single bolt at the rear).

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, MotoMarty said:

No real place to put the battery. Trials bikes are so small every inch is used up. That's why coils and CDI boxes are often hanging out in weird places. Since it is a very light weight battery could probably mount it on the forks behind the headlight or something. I don't think you would really notice it much while riding. 

I'm sure you could swap out the shock. Not sure there's a real reason to though. The shock it comes with isn't bad or anything. Just not as top notch as the normal model. If I had a contact and rode it in competition like I do I would bother changing it out. 

The biggest thing I would do is put a real tubeless Trials tire on

Edited by ccullins