Trials Crosstraining

7 minutes ago, Survivor said:

What is the best way to "break in" a brand new 2018 Beta Evoe 200.

Thanks

Ride it exactly how you normally would. This will ideally create the conditions for even wear and fitment of all moving parts. Then change your oil after the first 2 hours of riding, metal shavings are normal. Break-in periods are a myth for the most part, especially with modern engines. 

15 hours ago, jacob429 said:

Ride it exactly how you normally would. This will ideally create the conditions for even wear and fitment of all moving parts. Then change your oil after the first 2 hours of riding, metal shavings are normal. Break-in periods are a myth for the most part, especially with modern engines. 

Right on. Don't baby it. The most important part of break-in these days is to get the rings to seat which requires brief periods of full load over a range of revs. Normal trials riding should do that.

9 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

Right on. Don't baby it. The most important part of break-in these days is to get the rings to seat which requires brief periods of full load over a range of revs. Normal trials riding should do that.

I asked my dealer about break in of my Beta 300rr when I got it. Small town owner operator super nice guy with a long history of racing. Anyway, he basically told me to ride the shit out of it. And the last thing you want to do is baby it.

I've quoted this before, but here it is again. The bike I bought (2014 RR300) was broken in  at the Romainiacs by someone in Gold class. Did 20 odd hours on it. I then bought it and did another 220 hours before pulling piston and rings. So at 244 hours nothing had been done to the motor and it had 165 psi compression when cold. Can't fault that!!!

What Can you guys tell me about the Oset electric trials bikes?  I know Yamaha is coming out the TY-E.  Are their any other electric Trials bikes on the market?

Electric Motion is a bit more of a real trials bike than the oset.  Gas Gas also has a very limited model you can buy with a transmission and a real clutch.

I got into trials a couple years ago to up my enduro game and it has really paid off. Last year I also bought an EM Sport to ride silently around on the mountain trails by my home. Outstanding bike.

7 hours ago, jpbova said:

What Can you guys tell me about the Oset electric trials bikes?  I know Yamaha is coming out the TY-E.  Are their any other electric Trials bikes on the market?

OSET's are for kids. 

I believe the only one you can go out and buy right now in the US is the EM. 

At this point I really don't get it though. Unless it's extremely important to be quit (like riding somewhere you shouldn't be) there's no advantage. Trials bike are really quite to begin with. I have a little over an acre with with close neighbors all around it.  When we ride we can't hardly be heard by the neighbors. When my kids ride I can barely hear them in the house. Our neighbors law mower is louder. 

OSET's are for kids. 

At this point I really don't get it though. Unless it's extremely important to be quit (like riding somewhere you shouldn't be) there's no advantage. Trials bike are really quite to begin with. I have a little over an acre with with close neighbors all around it.  When we ride we can't hardly be heard by the neighbors. When my kids ride I can barely hear them in the house. Our neighbors law mower is louder. 
Understood. I was thinking with an electric trials bike. I could ride the mtb jump line they have near my house. However, I found out there is a trials training center by my house. A private one. I believe I am going to pick up an older trials bike. Anything to avoid?

OSET's are for kids. 

Oset 24 is skinny adult sized. The specs are lower than the EM, but they are 4k vs 8k plus

I thought same as you till my township passed an ordinance (unknown to me) and the jerk neighbor a few houses down called and reported me for riding my gas dirt bike with my son (kuberg start electric). I have 1.25 acres and 1.0 jerk neighbors and an electric would be good....not dropping 10k on one though
On 07/03/2018 at 0:19 AM, ccullins said:

When Sherco first recommended taking 3 springs out on my oldest son's Ty's 125 Sherco (he was 9 at the time) I questioned it too.  He then pointed to Cody Webb's 320cc Sherco fourstroke that he was riding at the time and said that's the same clutch, it'll be fine. 

From my experience with both Sherco's and Beta's, taking two springs out haven't noticed any slipping. 3 and it will slip under heavy loads/heavy rider. Best thing is it's really easy to do so if it doesn't work out you can always put them back in. For my own bike I don't like the feel of taking springs out. One of my riding buddies has a messed up left hand. When I sold him his 300SS Evo I took two out and it works great for him.

CCullins and everyone else welcome to reply and thanks in advance, does mushroom washer do the same?

On my new 2018 Beta Evo 200, the gas cap is incredibly hard to screw or unscrew, can you cc me your business contact as I would like you to sell me and send me a gas cap to my USA address. Are all the 2018 that hard to screw or unscrew? Also someone suggested to buy a Gas Gas front fender as being more solid, do you agree? CCullins, the Evo starts at first or second kick all the time but yesterday, I dropped it and it took like thirty five kicks to get going (done in a sequence of three tries as I was out of breath), what did I do wrong? When I dropped it, it took maybe 5 second to shut it down with the stop button and then I iimmediately lift the bike. When kicking the bike, there was no spark so I thought it was flooded and walk away for a few minutes between each of the three try. Finally got spark or response and got going after +/- 35 kicks. Love the way the Evo 200 power is delivered and the handling of the bike. I find the Trial riding incredibly fun as it was only my second ride ever.

For whatever dumb reason Beta switched to a plastic cap for 2018. Worst part is the threads are also different so you can't just use an older cap! However Ray Peters is making these. 

https://www.facebook.com/ray.peters.dsm/posts/10208799629468440

As far as the starting, sounds like it was flooded. If you didn't try it, best way to cure that is kick it with the throttle wide open

11 hours ago, ccullins said:

For whatever dumb reason Beta switched to a plastic cap for 2018. Worst part is the threads are also different so you can't just use an older cap! However Ray Peters is making these. 

https://www.facebook.com/ray.peters.dsm/posts/10208799629468440

As far as the starting, sounds like it was flooded. If you didn't try it, best way to cure that is kick it with the throttle wide open

Ccullins, thanks again for your help. This gas cap is crazy hard to screw or unscrew on my 2018 Beta Evo 200. Lucky we have your support! :thumbsup:

Anyone from vegas ride trial bike ?