Barn Find

IMG_20180129_101325.jpg.5faec18a75e8710565e995528446f99b.jpgIMG_20180129_101403.jpg.82fdc266034650492e6f3ea1273ce591.jpg

IMG_20180129_101341.jpg.8dcbd16b29b5dd5196a005a121a11e6f.jpgHi, l I just ended up with an 87 XL600R.

Not in the barn, leaning on the outside of it.

It's been sitting outside, leaning on a barn, for 20 years.  It seems that a friend of a friend's father, bought it new,  rode it for less than a year, got hurt and leaned it on the barn.  Knowing the guy, I'm pretty sure it isn't BS.

The good. 

2700 original miles.  Complete and pretty much 100% stock. 

It hasn't been registered (CA plated) since '88 (No back fees, should be off the books).

My buddy was going to do a restore on it, but just bought a house and  had to move, now, no money to fix it. He did rebuild the front caliper. 

The bad.

It started after a fuel change, oil change and carb clean, but smoked, I'm going to assume the valve seals are hard and crunchy, and with 2700 miles, I'm thinking the bore is still in spec, and the bottom end and trans is still fine.  Maybe, just maybe, the cylinder might have rusted, and that would have wiped the rings out within 2 seconds of startup, but the engine was closed up (plugs and everything were still in, it just got parked for 20 years), and I hope it's just the seals, I'll find out shortly, I'm going to pull he head off.

What do you guys think, is it a fine start to a concours project bike, is it a "quick and dirty" style fix it and ride it until it dies, or is it a part out candidate?

I’ve had 2 1981 and 1982 XR500Rs, and an 88 XR600R, I know how to start them, ride them and maintain them.  I realize that motorcycles aren't an investment, they're just toys.  Are they worth the time and effort?

Edited by corndog6700

The motor is out so pull the head and see how everything looks.  You'll have a fine bike after you clean it up a bit.  Too bad it wasn't left inside but hey, its a dirt bike.  Ride it!  

Motorcycle values depreciate to a point then start to go the other way as they become collector age, point is they can be an investment if they are clean enough. I bought the same bike with 8700 miles, perfect tank paint, plastic normally scuffed, just going to ride it occasionally for a few years and try to maintain its condition. The 70's bikes are bringing good auction prices now but they have to be clean.

Edited by DPete

the tree growin on the brakes an triple tee is awesome pic if ya ever get this thing goin 

In all seriousness ... it may be a part bike unless youre willin to donate your time and money to all the people that're gonna help ya with it. 

Bright side is all those parts are valuable! from the frame on down to kick starter. heck I could use a few to tell you the truth.

edit - Duh - L no kick - ok down to the gear shift

Edited by Watch4Deer
2 hours ago, Watch4Deer said:

In all seriousness ... it may be a part bike unless youre willin to donate your time and money to all the people that're gonna help ya with it. 

Bright side is all those parts are valuable! from the frame on down to kick starter. heck I could use a few to tell you the truth.

edit - Duh - L no kick - ok down to the gear shift

It's an 87, kick only.