rear shock hook wrench sizes??

Hi guys,

I've a 2017 KTM EXC-F 500 Six Days edition, and need to buy a hook wrench (or what is it actually called? spanner wrench? suspension wrench?) for my rear shock adjustment purposes. However, I'm suspecting that these possibly come in various sizes, therefore could you kindly advise me the size I should be looking at? Pointing out some spanner wrenches models would also greatly help me as I need to buy it very very soon

Thanks !

Geoff

I like the enduro engineering wrench shock tool , Rocky Mountain carries them. I have a 2015,  looks like they have an updated model also.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1056/45615/KTM-Shock-Spring-Preload-Adjuster

Don't try to crank if full of dirt, that plastic one will last near life time, if you take care of it, touch the threads with wd40 before turning, doesn't take much, just a dab.

Edited by Spud786

excellent ! thanks Spud ... also your hints are super welcomed!

will buy that one straight away :)

I always just used a nice big flat screw driver. The adjuster is only hand tight.

it did dawn on me that idea Gowey, but I really do prefer using the proper tools (you know, when your mind tells you "this!", one can't go for "that!" instead)

ragingspeed, Please let me know how the wrench works, and what part number you got. I'm in the same boat. I have to take my shock off to get a good enough grip (which, fortunately is easy, but has extra steps.

Many put the bike on the stand with the rear wheel off the ground then turn by hand.  When that gets to tight a big screwdriver works to pry it around.  At the most it should only take a couple of complete turns to set the sag after it gets hand tight with the wheel off the ground.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:30 PM, stevethe said:

You can try to grab the spring and turn it as It sometimes moves the adjuster. 

yes this works as long as the spring has preload on it, wheel off the ground. I use the wrench for delicate moves where I don't want the spring to turn, or when the wheel is on the ground .  But large moves the grab and turn the spring works fine.

Edited by Spud786

hi guys ... just letting ya all know that I've chose the option of KTM's original tool which is model code 796.19.910.000 

absolutely NOT saying that enduro engineering's model is not good, but I don't live in the US area, I'm from Malta, Europe, and ordering this item from the US would have meant high postage charges than paying VAT taxes together with customs charges, otherwise, for those who asked, if you're from the US, go for enduro engineering's model since it is cheaper and almost identical copy of KTM's original tool!

thanks for your help guys ! 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, bnr said:

Many put the bike on the stand with the rear wheel off the ground then turn by hand.  When that gets to tight a big screwdriver works to pry it around.  At the most it should only take a couple of complete turns to set the sag after it gets hand tight with the wheel off the ground.

like he said spend money on the stand no tool needed..

39 minutes ago, allout48 said:

like he said spend money on the stand no tool needed..

True, but what if you don't wont the spring to turn, yet you want a 1/4 turn of preload change, that's where the tool comes in handy.  Or out in the field, where you cant lift the wheel off the ground, or carry a stand.

That's where tool is handy.

13 hours ago, Spud786 said:

True, but what if you don't wont the spring to turn, yet you want a 1/4 turn of preload change, that's where the tool comes in handy.  Or out in the field, where you cant lift the wheel off the ground, or carry a stand.

That's where tool is handy.

I guess just never had an issue adjusting with hand, just sayin

I can the nut by turning the spring on a linkage suspension, but I can't do it on my '17 non-linkage bike.