XR650L died won't restart

This is my first XR and I've only had it for a month. I always shut the fuel off pulling into the driveway. The bike will run for another minute or so while the bowl empties unless I shut off the ignition first.

This time the instant I turned the fuel off the bike died and now it won't start. Turns over and I smell gas, but no start. I've read that with cdi problems they restart and die intermittent.

Is there another common issue with these bikes that could've happened?

Sometimes the XR650L doesn't like to restart when it's hot.  After it has sat for a few hours things might be different.

I'll turn the petcock to off maybe half a block before I get to where I'll be parking the bike, but I see no advantage to letting it sit there idling once I get there.  I noticed that after replacing the pulse generator on mine, it is much less touchy about starting when hot.  But I still shut off the fuel anytime I'm parking the bike for more than five minutes.

• Like 1

Sometimes the XR650L doesn't like to restart when it's hot.  After it has sat for a few hours things might be different.
I'll turn the petcock to off maybe half a block before I get to where I'll be parking the bike, but I see no advantage to letting it sit there idling once I get there.  I noticed that after replacing the pulse generator on mine, it is much less touchy about starting when hot.  But I still shut off the fuel anytime I'm parking the bike for more than five minutes.
I rejetted it and it seemed a little harder to start hot. I'm not familiar with the pulse generator, going to research that. Thank you very much.

Alright, finally got an hour to mess with the brp.

Gas flow... check!
Spark... check.!
Start...no.
Wtf... check!

And there it is, the carb just barely resting in the manifold boot.

Wtf... check!

Loosen clamp push carb in. Start bike... check!

I had heck trying to get the carb seated after the rejet when I first bought it. It seems like the intake boot is warped. Things just won't line up unless you squeeze the intake duct, but it just pops back.
The carb is in properly and she's running for now. I guess a new boot is the next step. I'm afraid it's gonna work it's way out again.

Thanks for all the positive input, fellas.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem with my 2001.  It seemed that the boots were to short or had shrunk.  I loosen the air box then attached the rear boot and then re-tightened the air box. There is a little bit of play in the air box mounting.  It seemed to work.

The air box boot could be a tad longer on these.  I put the carb in the intake manifold first and tighten the clamp , then I squeeze the top and bottom of the airbox boot a little , from the right side , and it kind of extends slightly into the perfect position while you tighten the clamp.