Using a 5x8 utility trailer to haul 3 bikes

I am looking to buy a 5x8 utility trailer to haul 3 full sized bikes. I want the utility trailer and not a bike specific trailer so I can haul other things. I do not want anything wider than 5 feet because I cannot spare any more than 5 feet in my garage. Do any of you use this size trailer? Do you use wheel chocks? I do not want to use wheel chocks if I don't have to. I can put something to snug the middle bike's wheel against to offset it from the other 2 bikes so the handlebars don't mingle too much. Do you guys drill holes and add something to the rails to tie the bikes down? Here is a pic of the type of trailer I am looking at.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

I run a light 4x8 homemade trailer when I'm not running one of the big trailers.  Do youself a favor and get three removable wheel chocks or the recessed ones that are hidden in the deck. It will make loading and unloading 3 bikes much easier if they are not all dependant on each other for tie points.

recessed chocks.jpeg

trailer13apr.jpg

trailerrecessed.jpg

You can do it. I used to put three in a enclosed 5x8 the open one would be easier.

118_0578.JPG

• Like 2

I use these mounts I came up with in my toy hauler, 4x6 mini trailer and old pickup. E-track (either a single point or 24” length) with quick release d-rings, a turnbuckle (or substitute a length of chain), quick link and carribeaner. Lean the bike over and hook into one peg, lean it over and put your torso over the seat to compress the suspension as you reach down and hook up the other peg. Bikes will not tip over even in the event of a barrel roll. 100% secure.
IMG_8970.jpgIMG_8969.jpgIMG_8805.jpgIMG_8581.jpgIMG_8801.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyleanegus said:

I use these mounts I came up with in my toy hauler, 4x6 mini trailer and old pickup. E-track (either a single point or 24” length) with quick release d-rings, a turnbuckle (or substitute a length of chain), quick link and carribeaner. Lean the bike over and hook into one peg, lean it over and put your torso over the seat to compress the suspension as you reach down and hook up the other peg. Bikes will not tip over even in the event of a barrel roll. 100% secure.
IMG_8970.jpgIMG_8969.jpgIMG_8805.jpgIMG_8581.jpgIMG_8801.jpg

Very excellent! Now you need to install secure carriers on the HF trailer for your gas cans.Then paint the walls of your shop bright glossy white, that dark wood is absorbing most of your light. Get to work, time's awastin!

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

Very excellent! Now you need to install secure carriers on the HF trailer for your gas cans.Then paint the walls of your shop bright glossy white, that dark wood is absorbing most of your light. Get to work, time's awastin!

I bolted on two milk crates to the trailer for gas jugs works excellent and got the for free.
I think I may need you to come over and demonstrate your painting expertise otherwise that may never get done! HahahahHaha

Thanks for the posts. I am picking up my trailer tonight. I got a good deal on a used 5x8 with the wood floor, railing, and the rear door ramp. I have some good ideas of how I am going to secure the bikes.

3 hours ago, kyleanegus said:

I bolted on two milk crates to the trailer for gas jugs works excellent and got the for free.
I think I may need you to come over and demonstrate your painting expertise otherwise that may never get done! HahahahHaha

On the way, Bud Lite and BBQ will be just right. And of course a couple rides on that great terrain. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is how I have my harbor freight 4x8 trailer rigged up.  Believe it or not, none of the bikes touch.

If you are interested, I can probably dig up a link for the wheel chocks.

20170108_164031.jpg

EDIT: the wheel chocks are easily removed.  Requires a little plate be screwed on the wood. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-TIRE-WHEEL-CHOCK-REMOVABLE-CHOCKS-FOR-TRAILER/192445562660?hash=item2ccea63f24:g:5Y0AAOSwrklVXzeV&vxp=mtr

Edited by jamesm113
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jamesm113 said:

This is how I have my harbor freight 4x8 trailer rigged up.  Believe it or not, none of the bikes touch.

If you are interested, I can probably dig up a link for the wheel chocks.

20170108_164031.jpg

EDIT: the wheel chocks are easily removed.  Requires a little plate be screwed on the wood. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-TIRE-WHEEL-CHOCK-REMOVABLE-CHOCKS-FOR-TRAILER/192445562660?hash=item2ccea63f24:g:5Y0AAOSwrklVXzeV&vxp=mtr

Maybe you have done it but if those rear wheels are not secured one of these days they will walk off the side. It is going to be very ugly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

Maybe you have done it but if those rear wheels are not secured one of these days they will walk off the side. It is going to be very ugly.

I had not thought of this, thank you for pointing that out. I thought the small wheels would stop this from happening, but maybe not. 

Years ago it when we first started riding dirt bikes it was common practice when we hauled our bikes to the woods to attach tie downs to the handlebars.  Last year I bought a wheel chock and it came with a short winch style strap that goes over the front wheel.  That system kept the bike firmly in place even when I drove over rough ground.  I even did a side by side comparison and discovered that the regular tie downs would slip but the winch straps did not.  I was so impressed by the simple over the wheel technique that I converted the other wheel chock to that style.  Something to consider.              

Edited by TR185

I use a 5x8 and no wheel chocks, I put the middle bike in backwards and tie the wheel to the mesh gate. I tie the front wheels of the outside two bikes to the front of the trailer. As long as the front wheels cant move side to side the bikes will be fine. 9 yrs no problems with the tie downs coming loose. I do use forksavers, not for the fork seals, but to keep the straps from loosening up from bounce.

I recommend the trailer in the middle back of the picture (taller metal sides) I have that one in a 4x8 and it hauls 3 bikes with the middle one in backwards. I attached angle metal to the front wall to hold the wheels straight. My parking would not accommodate a 5x8. Purchased new in 2004 for $1,400 and would never think about selling it.

If your tow vehicle cost's more than $50,000 then you are required to pull a harbor freight or home depot trailer :thumbsup:

Edited by Leftdagrid