I just bought a 2008 WR250FX a while back and am getting it street legalized soon. I would really like to paint my rims either black (to go with my blue spoke covers) or blue. I would like to do this at home as I do not have enough money for aftermarket rims. I have looked into powdercoating, anodizing, and dual/single stage automotive paint so far. (Powdercoating looks like it might chip during tire change and there is not a local spot for anodizing and it looks expensive) Does anyone have any suggested methods or ideas for painting them at home? Do not tell me spray paint! Also please do not talk me out of it because I'm hard set on NOT buying new rims! Also we have a very capable, controlled, and large work space so any challenges shouldn't be an issue. Give me your thoughts please! Kind of stuck!

Any paint will chip. If you do not use spray paint, are you going to use a brush or a roller?

To do a half way decent job, you will have to take the wheels apart.

You are going to find the level of effort and costs will be an eye opener. I also suggest to ask for help and not do so with a closed mind. You will get further.

• Like 3

I'd consider plastidip. No, it won't last, but redos are super easy and if you change your mind, you can peel it of. Me? Way too much work, but if you have more time than money, why not... If you ride mostly street, it will do ok. If you ride any level of off-road where there is rock, it will chip and eventually begin to peel.

I wouldn't bother on my bike as it wont last long with me riding in rocks all the time but you can paint em if you want to.

What do you have against spray paint? Its the best thing to use to paint things like rims.

Prep is everything when it comes to paint, double check they're scuffed up and clean before taping off the spokes and spray painting them whatever color you like.

Buy paint for cars not cheap rust paint, its harder to scratch and use etching primer so it sticks better.

One of my buds painted his rims black, honestly it looked fine and didn't get scratched up any worse than the black rims that come on bikes now, they look old and scratched in a hurry too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, William1 said:

Any paint will chip. If you do not use spray paint, are you going to use a brush or a roller?

To do a half way decent job, you will have to take the wheels apart.

You are going to find the level of effort and costs will be an eye opener. I also suggest to ask for help and not do so with a closed mind. You will get further.

I was thinking I would use a spray gun with an air hose, and yes I would take the wheels apart. Unfortunately then i have to pay for trueing the spokes! 😭 But yes I will have my dad assist me in doing this

5 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I'd consider plastidip. No, it won't last, but redos are super easy and if you change your mind, you can peel it of. Me? Way too much work, but if you have more time than money, why not... If you ride mostly street, it will do ok. If you ride any level of off-road where there is rock, it will chip and eventually begin to peel.

I would be street legalizing it but I would also ride on gravel and hopefully go out to the track, so Im not sure it would be the right way. Thanks

33 minutes ago, biglake said:

I wouldn't bother on my bike as it wont last long with me riding in rocks all the time but you can paint em if you want to.

What do you have against spray paint? Its the best thing to use to paint things like rims.

Prep is everything when it comes to paint, double check they're scuffed up and clean before taping off the spokes and spray painting them whatever color you like.

Buy paint for cars not cheap rust paint, its harder to scratch and use etching primer so it sticks better.

One of my buds painted his rims black, honestly it looked fine and didn't get scratched up any worse than the black rims that come on bikes now, they look old and scratched in a hurry too.

I bet the spray paint would scratch off easier than a lot of things, so i would rather not test it. And yes if I paint them I will make sure i prep the rims well and/or use primers.

That's what I was recommending, it comes in spray cans too, theres not much point in buying a quart of paint and using a paint gun when 1 spray can will do.

Not all spray paint is created equal, if you go to your local auto parts store and ask for tough enamel spray paint and a good etching primer you'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, biglake said:

That's what I was recommending, it comes in spray cans too, theres not much point in buying a quart of paint and using a paint gun when 1 spray can will do.

Not all spray paint is created equal, if you go to your local auto parts store and ask for tough enamel spray paint and a good etching primer you'll be fine.

Okay thank you!

Have you gotten a quote to have someone true a rim yet? The only place around me cost just as much per wheel as new excel hoops. Its really easy to do, just tedious. Something to think about since you mentioned cost being an issue.

Here you go:

glitter+glue.JPG

You are welcome!  Like me on myspace.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CRFRida1605 said:

Have you gotten a quote to have someone true a rim yet? The only place around me cost just as much per wheel as new excel hoops. Its really easy to do, just tedious. Something to think about since you mentioned cost being an issue.

No but I know a guy who has done it before. He trued the front rim off of my old CRF150F for $20 and I assume that he would do it again, so maybe like 50 for front and back? I tried 5 times to do it myself but Im just not able to. And believe me if I could do it on my own I would because yes cost is an issue!