When your friend asks.... "can I ride it"?

I say "I have no idea if you are capable'. ?

Though if the guy will pay (willingly with no issues at all, even to the point of over paying) for any damages, then I say OK. However, I never want to ride any else's bike. Mine is typically in much better condition, no bent bars, pretzeled levers or kinked cables.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, UG_ALLSTAR said:

Reiterated topic but it's 2018 and bikes are even more expensive. What do you say when your buddy asks to ride your motorcycle? 

We're talking about your personal bike, the one you spend hours washing, greasing, wrenching and staring at.

It would have to be a best friend, Dad, or brother. No to all others.

I let a big guy (6'10 300+lbs) just sit on mine once and regretted it. Instead of throwing a leg over he flipped the kickstand down and used the footpeg as a step. My kickstand is not made for all that weight! It snapped like a pretzel.

• Like 4

I let those who I trust ride it. People who would pay for any damages. My worry is always something going wrong when they were riding the bike, it wasnt their doing at all, and you just sit there like wtf.

One of my friends got a brand new 16 kx450f, he brought it home. Rode over to my house (im his neighbor), and said try it out. So when I got my new 17 ktm 250 sx, I let him ride it when I brought it over. Some random I have no idea who he/she is, I say no in the way of "I would like to be the first one to lay it down, then I dont care" Usually my friends dont try to send every jump or pin it. They ride fairly easy, and if it breaks, it was def not their fault.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, UG_ALLSTAR said:

Reiterated topic but it's 2018 and bikes are even more expensive. What do you say when your buddy asks to ride your motorcycle? 

We're talking about your personal bike, the one you spend hours washing, greasing, wrenching and staring at.

If I know they have the experience and the character to pay for anything they break, I say yes. It's a dirt bike, not a priceless vintage Ferrari.

• Like 17

My brother got a new Yam 450 and first day at the riding club a member came over and asked to ride it. My brother said sure. The guy took it out and acted like a mad man, rev limiter, roosting gravel at us, almost crashing it on the tracks biggest jump.  Why do people think they need to act like morons when they ride your new Ferrari... i mean bike.

• Like 3

Just now, wielywilly-g said:

My brother got a new Yam 450 and first day at the riding club a member came over and asked to ride it. My brother said sure. The guy took it out and acted like a mad man, rev limiter, roosting gravel at us, almost crashing it on the tracks biggest jump.  Why do people think they need to act like morons when they ride your new Ferrari... i mean bike.

Thats the kind of scenario I would prefer to avoid. You sit there and watch your bike get hammered for 10-15min by someone who doesn't give 2 cents about your bike.

8 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

Topic title: When your friend asks.... "can I ride it"? Have to know your true friends, the ones that respect you enough to treat your stuff well. For me, that's a pretty small group.

• Like 7

I let certain people, based on their ability, and character. Brought my new used DRZ home,had my friend meet me, to ride it. Because I couldn't! But I was going to ride my TW with him. He misunderstood and left me behind. Got the call that bike died few minutes later. He had made it about 2 miles. Picked them up, no spark. We did some checking, then there was spark. Still don't know what happened and it's not happened since.

• Like 1

I trust 3 people to ride my bikes,only 1 has ridden them,the other 2 havnt asked and one has the same bike,there bikes are worth equal or more value to mine.i had a guy in the parking lot ask when when my bike was new to ride it and politely asked him if he had $8000 in his pocket,we talked for a bit as I loaded up my bike.no one rides em till I put the first scratch on though. 

• Like 1

This question usually comes up while I’m out riding with other people. If we’ve been riding and your not a total newb I go back to the truck and let them take off and have fun. I don’t want to ride there junk so I always go back to the truck lol. 

Now somebody who who doesn’t ride.. no. Let me go borrow a TTR125 and let’s get some lessons first! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jason76 said:

Pretty much all my friends ride dirt bikes and we're all in our 40's so it's pretty common for us to swap bikes if one of us gets a new one.

Yep then we trust each other to man up if we break something on someone else's bike with in reason.

IMO its awesome cus I have one buddy who gets a new bike every 1 to 2 years and I've gotten to try a number of newer 2T and 4T bikes ?

• Like 4