I need to troubleshoot a dead battery.. Not sure where to start

Hi all! I am having some trouble with my battery not recharging with normal use. I rode home from work today and the bike started OK, though I have been needing to use the choke to turn it on recently. The bike died when I was almost home (clutch in, stopping at a light) but it started right back up. I parked, left it for a couple hours and then when I tried to leave on it, it turned over but wouldn't start. I tried to turn it over again but thats was all it could take, the battery died completely after the second try, no headlight, just dash lights and spedometer. The starter was giving me a buzzing noise that eventually turned into a single click when the starter button was pushed in.

I just bought a new battery and am going to use that with a tender until I figure this out. I'm just not sure where to start, I have no idea how the electrical system works. I'm just trying to find out what to test first! Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by Rebeljah
44 minutes ago, Rebeljah said:

Hi all! I am having some trouble with my battery not recharging with normal use. I rode home from work today and the bike started OK, though I have been needing to use the choke to turn it on recently. The bike died when I was almost home (clutch in, stopping at a light) but it started right back up. I parked, left it for a couple hours and then when I tried to leave on it, it turned over but wouldn't start. I tried to turn it over again but thats was all it could take, the battery died completely after the second try, no headlight, just dash lights and spedometer. The starter was giving me a buzzing noise that eventually turned into a single click when the starter button was pushed in.

I just bought a new battery and am going to use that with a tender until I figure this out. I'm just not sure where to start, I have no idea how the electrical system works. I'm just trying to find out what to test first! Any help is appreciated! 

Start with this 

Remove the positive battery lead from the battery. Connect a multi meter, set it to the Amps scale, between the ring terminal and the battery post with the ignition off. You should see little draw, you would like to see 0.00 but some systems will pull a little...way down in the mA range. If you have near 0.00 you likely have a shorted cell in the battery.

This sounds more like stator going bad and slowly draining the battery as you drive , but enough juice yet to somewhat keep up at higher revs . Several have had theirs die and the motor shuts down and won't restart, your dies at idle but restarted . I'd check the stator output with a multimeter both at idle and as the rpms go up .