2003 yz250 worth keeping and putting money into ? Or buy new

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I have an 03 250 that I have been riding for a couple years now. Recently been competing in a couple desert races and I can tell my stock suspension is just not up to snuff.

I IMG_0610.jpgknow it’s a solid bike and engine but would it be worth the money to invest in upgrades to the forks and rear susp? I have read some stuff about switching the forks to an 06 or newer when they switched to the dual inner chamber but also u need to switch the triple clamp?

Sounds kinda pricey .. thoughts ?

• Like 1

Those forks can be made to be good. A good tuner will make them what you want. I wouldn’t give up on them and fall on the SSS sword just yet. I just did a set, 700 into f/r for an 04 I have. If I no like, I sell. 

And my 04 is perfect. So, we shall see. 

• Like 4

I have an 03 YZ 125 and an 06 YZ 125 that I use for off road riding and racing in the southeast.  I actually prefer the 03 bike to the 06, but not by any huge margin.  Both of these bikes have been revalved by the same tuner for woods racing, and the suspension is fantastic on both. I certainly don't see any benefit with the SSS suspension in my riding conditions.  Both bikes sucked off-road before the revalve (pound you to death), and now they are great!

If it were me, I would keep the 03 components and get a re-valve by a competent tuner.  It will be the best money you ever spent on a bike. 

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

I had an 03' for 4 years . Put about 500 hours on it . I remember the the forks being very finicky about oil changes . I changed the oil every 50 hrs or less . If they ever felt like I needed to make a click on the adjusters it was time for fresh oil . If you your financially able to buy the new you probably won't regret it . Nothing like a freshie ! But , that is very cable bike you have there and I honestly almost bought my buddy's 04' as a practice bike . Tough decision's good luck .

• Like 3

are you running WR gears in that bike? if the rest of the bike is solid, then i would consider sending off the forks/shock. 

No, stock yz gears but that is a change I would like to make. Also possibly add a fly wheel weight if I keep it ..

• Like 1

Full wr450 transmission was the best mod I've made yet.  In close contention are setting the squish/increasing compression, and (hopefully in a few days) suspension work.

Also, I would urge you to keep the bike, and put money into it.  The AL frame is a step backwards in many ways, and the newer suspension isn't mcuh better without a revalve anyway.

Edited by bikedude987
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Nothing like a freshie !

So true. If you have the chance to buy new, don't pass it up! Of course many end up revalving suspenders on new bikes too at some point.

If I was desert racing in Kalifornica and buying new yz250 would not be my first choice. Now an older YZ with WR tranny and good suspension sounds great.

• Like 1

You have to look at economics. Is doing your suspension and perhaps a top end job easier than dropping a $7K nut on a new 250F, or $8K+ on a new 450F?

Personally I own a 04 YZ 250F that I run as a flat tracker. I did the conversion last summer. I figured since it was just sitting there, why not. Yes, the top end may be getting a little tired, so I may put in a 290 Athena, with sHot Cams stage 2 intake and exhaust cams, new chain and a head job. All that work is still easier on my budget than buying a new one. Could I buy a new one? Yes, but I don’t want to.

So again, it’s about your economical situation.

Good luck?

Edited by Dirt Hog
  • Like 1

I had an 02 YZ 250 that I was constantly making changes and upgrades to. I let myself believe for years that the 06 and newer YZ's weren't that much better. Eventually I decided to buy a new YZ. It is much better especiallty the brakes and suspension. I had the suspension sprung for my weight and the same big bore kit I have on the 02, since then I've left it alone All that being said I still have the 02 and I think it turns better and the suspension works better in the woods. Now I ride the 02 when I race Hare Scrambles and the 14 when I race motocross.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dirt Hog said:

You have to look at economics. Is doing your suspension and perhaps a top end job easier than dropping a $7K nut on a new 250F, or $8K+ on a new 450F?

Personally I own a 04 YZ 250F that I run as a flat tracker. I did the conversion last summer. I figured since it was just sitting there, why not. Yes, the top end may be getting a little tired, so I may put in a 290 Athena, with sHot Cams stage 2 intake and exhaust cams, new chain and a head job. All that work is still easier on my budget than buying a new one. Could I buy a new one? Yes, but I don’t want to.

So again, it’s about your economical situation.

Good luck?

Picking up a spanking new 17 WR250F tomorrow. 6989 OTD. :banana:

I already have a 450 and 498 thumper, wanted a little FI bike for fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Picking up a spanking new 17 WR250F tomorrow. 6989 OTD. :banana:

I already have a 450 and 498 thumper, wanted a little FI bike for fun. 

Doc, congrats on your new purchase. Buying a bran new scoot is an awesome feeling. Plus it helps the industry, and the economy. Have fun with it Bud!

• Like 1

If you are using the bike in conditions that it is not designed for (like using an MX bike to ride woods), a quality revalve by a tuner that knows the conditions you are riding in will absolutely transform the bike--it will be the best money you have ever spent.

As I said above, I definitely have a preference for my 03 yz with a revalve over my SSS bike (revalved by the same tuner).  My 03 also is easily a match for the new two YZ X bikes I have ridden (one stock and one revalved).  

Regarding the new bike issue, there are lots of pros and cons. But, even though I own two YZs, if you are considering new, you must take a hard look at the new KTM/Husky offerings.  I know it's blasphemy here, but those bikes are just a cut above what Yamaha or any other J manufacturer is currently offering.  Yea, they may cost a little more, but you get SO much more for your money.   

Having said that, if it were me, I would revalve the 03 and keep it a few more years.  If you weren't so far away, I would offer to buy it if you decide you don't want it.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Who ever regrets a new bike if you can afford it? I had an 05 YZ that I owned since new. Good solid bike with revalve for off-road. Bought a new YZ 250x and it was better stock than my highly modified 05.....

Exactly , The X is a different animal . Don't get me wrong Our 2011 is dialed in but , a lot of time and money was put in it . I've never really regretted buying a new one . Maybe its' just me but,  I don't think a lot of people even try to adjust the clickers on some bikes at all before getting a re-valve . I always do springs though .  I only re-valved my R1 , 2005 yz125 and the 2011 250 after my daughter took it over . My weight 200+ is probably why stock valving works so good for me off road . 

Edited by Rosehill Ryder