petcock suggestions

The 2003 "S" we have has a cheap aftermarket manual petcock that the PO installed. The flow drain is on the right side so the gas line goes INto the engine, which seems like a bad idea with heat and the line kinks a bit. I would imagine that one that flows downward would be the best choice. I am not paying for a Pingel! Can anyone suggest a decent, affordable petcock? Is there any point in trying to install a vacuum style like the OEM?

Thanks again. I've been asking alot of questions lately but I'm trying to get this bike ready for my son and I'm new to DRZs.

The 2003 "S" we have has a cheap aftermarket manual petcock that the PO installed. The flow drain is on the right side so the gas line goes INto the engine, which seems like a bad idea with heat and the line kinks a bit. I would imagine that one that flows downward would be the best choice. I am not paying for a Pingel! Can anyone suggest a decent, affordable petcock? Is there any point in trying to install a vacuum style like the OEM?
Thanks again. I've been asking alot of questions lately but I'm trying to get this bike ready for my son and I'm new to DRZs.
You can get a stock or similar from RMATVMC. They also carry the Kawasaki part that is cheaper than Suzuki's. Don't buy a cheap China petcock. Others use a Yamaha I've forgot what model. I have another tank coming by week's end. I have a new Yamaha TW petcock that I'll see if it fits. If not in getting the Kaw#.
  • Like 1

Thanks Padilen. I'm curious what people are using. So the Kawi KLX400 part is interchangeable?

I'm seeing prices over $100 for OEM. Don't want to do that. Less than $50 is what I'm hoping.

This method uses a petcock similar to what I have but runs it around and back the carb. I was concerned with engine heat and the plastic hose melting?

post-454646-0-85555100-1455157525.jpg

Edited by dogeddie

It's just a green DRZ.

• Like 1

https://thumpertalk.com/shop/Yamaha-FUEL-COCK-ASSY-1-5LP-24500-01-00-p1000322768.html

This is a manual petcock frequently used if your looking for a manual petcock. I probably wouldn't worry about engine heat though unless its actually touching the engine and if it is a cheap fix could be to just zip tie it away towards the carb for the time being. 

Thanks. Configuration is like the one I now have. Maybe i will try routing the fuel lines around behind the carb then to avoid kinking it. As long as what I have isn't leaking I'll keep it on then. If it goes bad I have a replacement option now. Good to know about the heat - was concerned about that. Thanks again.

This fits but you can't use reserve .1517596242894.jpeg