More low end from a 250sxf

I ride a 2017 ktm250sxf on trails and would like to get more low end torque for steep hill climbs. I'm getting my suspension revalved soon to absorb those rocky single tracks and just work better. Iv heard a fly wheel weight will help and I'm looking for an 18inch wheel for more traction and rock absorption. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

IMG_20180130_135919_974.jpg

• Like 1

Bikes are geared way to tall. All magazines recommend removing 14 tooth front sprocket and replacing with a 13. My son races a 2018 250 SX-F and that was the first thing we did. Makes a huge difference!!!!

Stock gearing is 14/51, so what gearing do you think will help for more low end torque.

for europe the sxf 250 is geared 13/50 . we go even to 13/51

My '17 250 six days enduro model is stock geared 13-52...

On one hand, you bought an SX-F and are riding it on the trail.  It wants to scream.  You would be better suited with an XCF-W, EXC, or possibly XC-F.

But, try gearing it down quite a bit and see if it's acceptable.

Edited by mbrick

Just now, mbrick said:

On one hand, you bought an SX-F and are riding it on the trail.  It wants to scream.  You would be better suited with an XCF-W or XC-F.

But, try gearing it down quite a bit and see if it's acceptable.

Ya and I love to scream it when I can but in tight sections some more low end torque would be nice. Btw the XC-F is pretty much the same bike besides some little differences. I'm going to try a 13 front sprocket and see how that changes the bike.

I'm running 13/52 on my 350 XC-F and I sometimes feel in tight sections it still isn't low enough...

I sure do love revving it out when possible.  The 350 has great bottom end torque and I've found it is a nice compromise between 250 nimbleness and 450 power.

14 hours ago, Dirtshark808 said:

Ya and I love to scream it when I can but in tight sections some more low end torque would be nice. Btw the XC-F is pretty much the same bike besides some little differences. I'm going to try a 13 front sprocket and see how that changes the bike.

XC-F has a huge difference: a six speed transmission.  With the wider spread in the transmission you still have the top end scream to go with the low gearing for tight sections that the SX-F doesn't have.

Tried the 13 front tooth sprocket from an older ktm. Changed the throttle cam to the less aggressive one and man what a huge difference. Defenitly lost top speed but I can chug up most hills second gear now and the throttle is a lot smoother to roll on now.

• Like 1