Set squish and now won't start.

I just had the head off my 2017 yz250 machined down to 0.055 thousands from 0.080 and I double checked the measurements and everything went back together smoothly except now the bike won't start. I tried a new spark plug so far and the air filter is clean and it was getting fuel as the old spark plug was completely soaked. I did run a compression check and it was releasing pressure from the reed area so that's the first thing I want to check but I don't know what else would be causing it. It has compression too.

Did you use new head o rings? Did you check spark? What do mean it was releasing pressure from the reed area? Did you have anything apart other than the head?

• Like 1

Took it all apart and it checked out and got it back together and I managed to get it to start up that time. It was definitely running very rich now off stock jetting and didn't want to idle more than 10 seconds.

12 minutes ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Your going to need to get out and ride it and check jetting. 

A stand never tells you nothing. 

Only reason I figured it was running rich was it went from barely smoking at all before to I hot boxed my garage in under a minute lol. 

I have a lectron coming by the end of the week so I'm just gonna throw that on and run it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mxchri5 said:

I have a lectron coming by the end of the week so I'm just gonna throw that on and run it.

Interested in selling the stock carb? 

16 minutes ago, Bren Ledger said:

I don't think I will, rather keep it as a spare if something ever goes wrong

11 hours ago, Bren Ledger said:

You can find them on eBay for 100-125 bucks all the time. 

I’ve bought a few because I like to have in stock if something messed. So, I have a rebuilt one ready to go. And I only deal in steel frame so 02-06 is same. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mxchri5 said:

Only reason I figured it was running rich was it went from barely smoking at all before to I hot boxed my garage in under a minute lol. 

That makes sense.

Stock wide squish needs rich jetting (on all circuits), because there is not enough turbulence to get a consistent burn on every power stroke.

Correct squish gap doesn't need so much fuel, so the motor will response more consistently to throttle and load changes.

You're going to have to lean out your jetting to account for the tighter squish and increased compression ratio.  Surprised it didnt' run anyway, sounds like you flooded it...

After reducing the squish height by 0.25mm on my YZ125,

it now runs best on two sizes leaner pilot jet and a half clip leaner on the needle.

It also seems to run on a wider range of ambiant temperature swings on the same settings.

(jetting less finicky in the early and late season)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1