1985 KX125 cylinder boring/honing

I bought a 1985 KX125 for a $100. It’s in pieces but it’s all there. One thing I ran into is this cylinder. It’s scored on the inside. I think the top end blew up on this that’s why it’s apart. Wanna see what you guys think. Is it ok to where I can hone it out myself or should I send it out, I know a local place. My friend works on bikes a lot and he says it’s not too bad I could do either or. I’ve done a few cylinders so far so I know about the cross hatching and stuff. Spec size is 56.00mm

If memory serves me right that should be a plated cylinder. You will not be able to hone it. You have 2 options. Have it replated , or have it sleeved. Both will cost about the same. Having it replated is the better option in my opinion. And that cylinder is toast by the way.

Nah it ain’t toast

if you mean that it is not slightly charred bread ,well yes you are correct .

If you mean it is still a serviceable cylinder by any standard of mechanical fitness,then no you are wrong..

I’m getting it replated

10 minutes ago, mlucas1995 said:

I’m getting it replated

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By luke8500
      Hi all,
      I have a 2004 Kawasaki kx250 that died suddenly on me the other day. all i can get it to do is backfire every once in awhile. Tested the resistance and everything of the magneto and stator with a multi-meter and all is good.  Coil is new oem Kawasaki the reeds are brand new vforce and the top end and carb have been completely rebuilt.  key on crank is intact and all the timing marks are lined up. I hooked a timing light to it and spun the motor over really fast and found that it is sparking way to late.  The service manual says that it is supposed to fire 14 degrees before TDC but it is sparking way after TDC.  Im thinking its a fried CDI box since its the only thing i wasnt able to check.  Any help would be appreciated
    • By Get it get it
      Which helmet should I get, Bell moto 9 carbon flex or 6d atr-2?
    • By M3t
      Hi guys,
      Picked up a 2000 YZ 125 in pretty good condition, but wanted to look into swapping out the Athena Factory kit on there with a OEM cylinder and head.  I know the Athena kit uses their own power valves so I'll need to source the OEM ones, but all the other hardware is the same.  Do power valves wear out, or am I safe buying a lightly used set on ebay for this part?  The cylinder and head I'll be buying brand new.
      Thanks in advance guys.
      Edit: My goal is to basically restore this bike back to nearly new condition.  I’m willing to spend some money, possibly more than it’s worth to some.  Ultimately I wanted a rock solid green sticker 125 to thrash on all year so bear with me.  Small airbox leak by previous owner let dirt into the boot so I’m doing a flush at the bare minimum.  I have not even started the bike since I purchased and did my internal inspection.  Splitting cases soon down the line to check and replace bearings and seals.  
    • By luke8500
      Hi all,
      I have a 2004 kx 250 2 stroke and it wont start.  it only backfires.  I was out riding it one day and came up to a stop so the bike was just idling and it started to try and die so i revved it up a few times then let it die and now it wont start back up.  It only pops or backfires when you kick it.  Its getting good spark and i just put a brand new plug and coil in it. I took the reeds apart and they look like they're brand new.  It was running great before so i dont know what happened.  Im thinking it could be a fuel problem even tho the plug is a little wet if you take it out after a bunch of kicking.  Any help would be greatly appreciated 
    • By Gary02
      So I am 16 about 155 pounds and want a new bike. my first bike was an 06 crf230f bought it last summer wanted more power within 2 weeks, didn't have money at the time so I just kept riding it. want to go 2 stroke so I can work on my own bike more and just because they r more fun, I have ridden a 250 2 stroke before but it was 93 yz250 and didn't feel all that crazy. Btw I have about 3000-3500 to spend what bike would I be best off with