Don't know what I should get with my money

Recently for the past year I have been interested in getting a dirtbike. I'm 13 about to turn 14. I have sold a few things. Shoveled and mowed lawns to make some money. I don't want to pay alot but I don't know what to do. I have a offer right now for a kayak 125cc that needs a Piston ring for $200 I have another guy with a ssr, and other off brand motor mix 125cc that runs perfect for $280. Another guy has an Apollo 2015 125cc for 300. But the thing that gets me is another guy has a 1985 Honda xr350 that needs a top end something. He said probably just a Piston ring and a carb clean but I don't know if it might need anything else when I look at it. That's going for 300 and might have to buy Piston rings and possibly other things. I don't want to spend alot but idk. Please help

I applaud you for working toward your goal young man. You should stay away from Chinese bikes and four strokes. I suggest you keep saving and buy something for around $2000 like a YZ or CR 125. Bikes that you buy on the cheap cost a lot more in the long run and the heartache of break downs will wear you down quickly. Keep on working!

• Like 7

Great job saving your money, but I agree with pp, save a little more and buy a Honda CR125 or Yamaha YZ125 for about $2000, you could even get a pre-2002 CR125 for less than 2k, depending on where you live. Or get a honda, kawaksaki, yamaha, etc. trail bike, like the  TTR125 or TTR230. If you are tight on funds, have you considered getting into mountain biking first? Get some skills on the trails in a less expensive hobby. 

11 hours ago, Dklassen said:

I applaud you for working toward your goal young man. You should stay away from Chinese bikes and four strokes. I suggest you keep saving and buy something for around $2000 like a YZ or CR 125. Bikes that you buy on the cheap cost a lot more in the long run and the heartache of break downs will wear you down quickly. Keep on working!

....totally agree with this. As hard as it is, keep being patient and saving. You will be much better off in the long run with a simple two stroke that has been around a while so parts are available and you can either work on yourself or get somebody to help you. Those chinese bikes will have you smiling one minute and ready to throw them out the next and probably will end up throwing them out when all said and done. Parts are tought to get, not reliable specs for them and just plain frustrating when all you want to do is go ride.

These guys are right, stay away from the Chinese stuff. My first bike was a honda Super 90 i made into a dirt bike and i rode it hard for 3 years and not a single problem. Sold it back to the same guy i bought it from for the same price. Any of the Japanese 125's would be great although id lean towards the the yam. Simply because they still manufacture it. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it

I don't know how tall you are but at that age you are probably getting a little big for a TTR 125 or DRZ 125 and things in that realm.  I would suggest that maybe you start looking at an XR 200. Alot of the time they can be be had for less than $1000 depending on the year and sometimes in surprisingly good shape at that price..  They are not overly powerful and very very reliable bikes. A bike will.only go as fast as you want it to. You have control of that by the throttle and  you can ease around while you are still learning. 

• Like 1

Definitely dont want to spend that hard earned money on any chinese or off brand bikes (as above^) Four strokes id also stay away from. After doing one top end on a 2 strokes are really easy to work on too, especially for a first bike. I actually enjoyed rebuilding my kx100 when she blew. Anything you need to buy to restore a 2 stroke to working condition is gonna be more on a four stroke. My recommendations
kx100 if your a smaller fella
yz125 if your lookin for a bike to last you a few more years, anything smaller your gonna want more power 6 months into it (i did anyway). Iv seen a few kx125s go cheaper then the yammys. But thats in my area.

Keep looking it took me almost 2 years and eventually I got a 97 cr250 for $500 and it ran and didn't need any work or anything had brand new plastics too! Eventually you will find someone who is tired of having their bike in the garage and sell it for dirt cheap

A 2 stroke is easier to work on but it is also harder for a beginner to learn on. Especially if you are riding in tight trails.. You can putt around on a 4 stroke but not so much with a 2 stroke.  

A 2 stroke is easier to work on but it is also harder for a beginner to learn on. Especially if you are riding in tight trails.. You can putt around on a 4 stroke but not so much with a 2 stroke.  

meh 2 stroke is more fun just get on the pipe and feed it fuel every 3-4 hours.

Whatever you decide on, don't get in a hurry. Take your time, let a good deal present itself and make a deal. Ask yourself, will I be happy with this bike a year from now? Or am I just excited today? You will be better off waiting for the right bike rather than settling for the first thing that comes up. Good luck!

• Like 2

A 80/85cc 2 stroke would be a good option for you, they're pretty quick, simple to work on, you'd learn all the maintenance early, and they're cheaper to buy than bigger dirt bikes, 1000$ would probably get you a decent one (depending on your local market). And like others have said, don't get a Chinese bike, I had one when I was around the same age as you and it made me quit riding for a while because I was so frustrated at all the problems it kept having. 

Just now, David323 said:

A 80/85cc 2 stroke would be a good option for you, they're pretty quick, simple to work on, you'd learn all the maintenance early, and they're cheaper to buy than bigger dirt bikes, 1000$ would probably get you a decent one (depending on your local market). And like others have said, don't get a Chinese bike, I had one when I was around the same age as you and it made me quit riding for a while because I was so frustrated at all the problems it kept having. 

85cc would be too small. He'd be bored of it in no time, I was riding a 450 when when I turned 15 so I think he'll need something bigger.

Just now, Samdaman_1 said:

85cc would be too small. He'd be bored of it in no time, I was riding a 450 when when I turned 15 so I think he'll need something bigger.

Depends on the person I suppose, I had a 125cc 4 stroke when I was 12, and a 125cc 2 stroke when I was 16 (with a break from riding for a few years), and both felt about right to me at that time. I suggested that mainly because of the money situation, otherwise a 125 might be better for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, David323 said:

Depends on the person I suppose, I had a 125cc 4 stroke when I was 12, and a 125cc 2 stroke when I was 16 (with a break from riding for a few years), and both felt about right to me at that time. I suggested that mainly because of the money situation, otherwise a 125 might be better for him.

Yeah I guess so, id recommend a 125 2 smoke