2018 Alta Redshift “R” models??

Been seriously looking at getting one of these redshifts to mess around with between (and prob at) weekend track rides. 

Just called the sfo Alta dealer and a dude told me alta is about to announce R models in a couple days?

the 18 MX already looks a MUCH better with the improved fork and 5k price drop... whats this R gonna bring!? *prays for weight reduction*

They sure are fun. Want one too

OMG! The 2018 Alta Redshift MXR is a 450-beater, I swear! The 2017 MX was already close to being the fastest on tight tracks, but now the new MXT is more powerful, lighter, with a better suspension, quicker charging, MX3S tires, and still pretty cheap!

My 2017 Redshift resale price just dropped another $2-3 grand, LOL. I want the MXR!

On 1/30/2018 at 9:45 PM, pro wake said:

... whats this R gonna bring!? *prays for weight reduction*

We'll need to keep praying because they posted it weighs 259 lbs.  I am interested too because I live at 8000 feet elevation.  

Yzf 450 full of fuel is 250lb

6 hours ago, Float said:

We'll need to keep praying because they posted it weighs 259 lbs.  I am interested too because I live at 8000 feet elevation.  

It only feels heavy when you're lifting it on the center stand. Else, at the track, it feels as light as a 250.

The 2018 Alta Redshift MXR is a game changer. It is a real 450 beater. Soon there will be several at every track.

6 hours ago, gphilip said:

It only feels heavy when you're lifting it on the center stand. Else, at the track, it feels as light as a 250.

The 2018 Alta Redshift MXR is a game changer. It is a real 450 beater. Soon there will be several at every track.

This has been our experience with the bike as well! Super nimble in the tight technical stuff and easy to through around in the air. The problem with dry weight is that it does not take into account the huge reduction in rotating mass on the electric bike. It really is something that you have to experience first hand to really appreciate the difference. 

13 hours ago, Float said:

No longer relying on thin air at 8,000 feet to produce power is a game changer on the Alta! the previous generation bike (equivalent to a 250f at sea level) feels much closer to a 350f at altitude! I can only imagine how the R model, with 10 extra horse and more torque, feels in the Mile High city!

Edited by Elite Motorsports
24 minutes ago, Elite Motorsports said:

This has been our experience with the bike as well! Super nimble in the tight technical stuff and easy to through around in the air. The problem with dry weight is that it does not take into account the huge reduction in rotating mass on the electric bike. It really is something that you have to experience first hand to really appreciate the difference. 

Exactly. A flywheel, or the lack thereof, play a huge difference in how a bike handles. The Alta has no engine flywheel at all. On most 450s you can't even lean them into a corner quickly if you rev them like the 250s. This is not because of a 10 lbs weight difference but because of the flywheel. And my 700 lbs Honda ST1300 feels much lighter and more nimble than my KTM 1190R. This is because the KTM has a huge flywheel in the longitudinal plane. But the Honda has a flywheel in the transverse plane. You do not have to overcome the flywheel's gyro effect to lean the heavy Honda, so it feels ligher and turns much better.