Used KTM 300 EXC vs Gas Gas EC 300

I've wanted a 300 smoker for a long time, and now I've decided it's the time to do it. I've been already pretty much decided on a 2004-2007 300 EXC, but then I started browsing my local ads and noticed quite a few of these EC 300s for sale. I can get around a 2007-2010 EC 300 for the same money as a 2004-2007 300 EXC, that's why I've been considering it. Does anyone have experience with both of these, preferably these years? It's hard to find head to head comparisons on the internet for these two. Do the EC 300s and pre-2008 EXC 300s have an adjustable power valve? How do the engines and suspension compare? The only thing I've found out from my research is that owners of both seem to love their bikes.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:00 AM, David323 said:

I've wanted a 300 smoker for a long time, and now I've decided it's the time to do it. I've been already pretty much decided on a 2004-2007 300 EXC, but then I started browsing my local ads and noticed quite a few of these EC 300s for sale. I can get around a 2007-2010 EC 300 for the same money as a 2004-2007 300 EXC, that's why I've been considering it. Does anyone have experience with both of these, preferably these years? It's hard to find head to head comparisons on the internet for these two. Do the EC 300s and pre-2008 EXC 300s have an adjustable power valve? How do the engines and suspension compare? The only thing I've found out from my research is that owners of both seem to love their bikes.

Those are great questions.. I'm a GasGas owner so I have a bias... BUT. 

I think one of the most important things about buying any bike is to have a contact you trust at a dealer. Local is always best. But in today's day no-one is really stocking much anyways, and parts can ship from almost anywhere. As long as there is a good dealer in your country willing to ship parts you'll be good to go. Just make sure you trust them. 

GasGas is fully back up and running and totally restructured from how the old company was run. I have no fears that they will be around for a very very long time now. Without the backing of Torrot I wouldn't be buying my second one. But with Torrot I'm very confident in the GasGas business model. 

The EC300's are known to be the most "Grunty" of all the big smokers. Very great in technical terrain. Gobs of low down torque with a very healthy midrange. Suspension changed for GasGas through those years. Any tuner will be able to set it up right for your riding style and size. Many people prefer the frames of the generation of Gassers that you are looking at above any other bike. They were slightly smaller than other brands which make them great singletrack bikes. 2011 is widely considered the best ever. But don't read into that too much. 

The powervalves are not adjustable on the older Gassers. They are on the new bikes. I can't speak to that generation Katoom since I've never ridden one of that age. 

Edited by CDN Rick
4 minutes ago, CDN Rick said:

Those are great questions.. I'm a GasGas owner so like pretty much anyone else I have a bias... 

I think one of the most important things about buying any bike is to have a contact you trust at a dealer. Local is always best. But in today's day no-one is really stocking much anyways, and parts can ship from almost anywhere. As long as there is a good dealer in your country willing to ship parts you'll be good to go. Just make sure you trust them. 

GasGas is fully back up and running and totally restructured from how the old company was run. I have no fears that they will be around for a very very long time now. Without the backing of Torrot I wouldn't be buying my second one. But with Torrot I'm very confident in the GasGas business model. 

The EC300's are known to be the most "Grunty" of all the big smokers. Very great in technical terrain. Gobs of low down torque with a very healthy midrange. Suspension changed for GasGas through those years. Any tuner will be able to set it up right for your riding style and size. Many people prefer the frames of the generation of Gassers that you are looking at above any other bike. They were slightly smaller than other brands which make them great singletrack bikes. 2011 is widely considered the best ever. But don't read into that too much. 

The powervalves are not adjustable on the older Gassers. They are on the new bikes. I can't speak to that generation Katoom since I've never ridden one of that age. 

Are GG bikes cable or hydraulic clutches?

8 minutes ago, crankee said:

Are GG bikes cable or hydraulic clutches?

Hydraulic. AJP or Magura depending on year. 

2 hours ago, CDN Rick said:

The EC300's are known to be the most "Grunty" of all the big smokers. Very great in technical terrain. Gobs of low down torque with a very healthy midrange. 

If that's true, that's awesome, I love grunty engines with lots of torque that don't need to be revved. And when you say only the new ones have adjustable power valves, how new are we talking here? 

5 minutes ago, David323 said:

If that's true, that's awesome, I love grunty engines with lots of torque that don't need to be revved. And when you say only the new ones have adjustable power valves, how new are we talking here? 

Don't quote me on this 100%. But If I recall correctly the factory ones were adjustable from 2014 or 15. But there are kits for the older bikes including the bikes you are looking at that will allow them to be adjustable. 

I currently ride a '12 and see no reason to adjust it for all round riding. My bike is up for sale though since I've decided to get the new '18.

Concerning the "Grunt" thing. I've ridden a whole bunch of different 300's. Without question the GasGas feels like it has the most low down torque. This probably comes from the fact that GasGas is also a trials bike company. Coming from a Sherco ST290 to the EC300 it felt like an oddly familiar motor.

Edited by CDN Rick

GasGas

9 hours ago, shrubitup said:

GasGas

Any reasoning? 

2 hours ago, David323 said:

Any reasoning? 

Less used, newer model, their motor is better for trail riding vs. High speed racing that the ktm does better. Gasgas electric start (assuming 2010 has it) works unlike the ktm. 

A few more questions to those with experience. How are the gearing and ergonomics like? The GG has a 6 speed gearbox, which is awesome, but is it wide ratio? And I've read somewhere that the ergonomics on the GG are more suitable for shorter riders, could this be a problem considering I'm 184cm/6'0"? I'm mainly interested in the standing position, I can adjust to the sitting one if it's suboptimal. 

6 minutes ago, David323 said:

A few more questions to those with experience. How are the gearing and ergonomics like? The GG has a 6 speed gearbox, which is awesome, but is it wide ratio? And I've read somewhere that the ergonomics on the GG are more suitable for shorter riders, could this be a problem considering I'm 184cm/6'0"? I'm mainly interested in the standing position, I can adjust to the sitting one if it's suboptimal. 

You'll be fine. GG doesn't label the transmission as WideRatio but they are equivalent to what most other companies would call a WR gearbox. So yes it is a Wide Ratio box. 

I don't think you'll find the frame ergo's off. I'm 5'11.5 so I'm only .5" shorter than you and it feels very comfortable to me. I refuse to run bar risers since I believe they contribute to bad racing posture. 

Edited by CDN Rick

That's good to hear. From what I can tell, the GG is at least equal, if not better than the KTM in most respects, and reading this thread is seriously making me want one. Now I just need to do something about that pesky money situation... 

1 minute ago, David323 said:

That's good to hear. From what I can tell, the GG is at least equal, if not better than the KTM in most respects, and reading this thread is seriously making me want one. Now I just need to do something about that pesky money situation... 

Like I said from the get-go I'm biased..... But I actually used to ride a KTM. After buying a Gasser I'll never go back to orange!

Update: Partially due to this thread, I'm now the owner of a 2008 Gas Gas EC 300 :)

5 hours ago, David323 said:

Update: Partially due to this thread, I'm now the owner of a 2008 Gas Gas EC 300 :)

Congratulations! One of my good riding friends is on an 08 GG. He still loves his bike. 

Post a pic up in the picture thread!