What would cause a broken valve keeper?

So I've been building a dr-z 400 engine with used parts i bought online and i finally got  a chance to start it last week and it actually started, then died. Got it to start 4 more times and it died again soon after while idling, and now it won't start at all. Now the starter keeps turning but it won't fire and you don't get the "starting" sound/feeling from the exhaust as you would normally(you only hear the starter and flywheel turning). So i checked valve clearances and the exhaust valve measurements are completely off. The left-side exhaust valve could fit .100 mm feeler gauge easily. So i ended up finding a broken valve keeper under the right sided exhaust shim. This causes the tappet/bucket to sit higher than usual and not flush like the other tappet/buckets.

What would cause a broken valve keeper? Also, does this mean i have to do a complete valve job?

Thanks in advance!

0131180948a (3).jpg

Edited by Uro pieces

Not installed correctly 

Not correct cotters for tops used / valves used... Valve cotters are not a "universal" fit
Worn or damaged cotters , valve, top

Valve strikes piston and unseats cotter

Too thin a shim used, bucket depresses valve spring top unseating cotter 

BTW, I dont see a "broken" cotter in that pic, all I see is one not locked in fully

Thanks for response, very much appreciated. I've never done the top end before so this is all new to me.

19 minutes ago, Uro pieces said:

Thanks for response, very much appreciated. I've never done the top end before so this is all new to me.

So unless your seeing something in person Im not seeing in the picture.. what you have is an unseated valve cotter (keeper, call it what you will, that is a common name for them as well)

So how did it come unseated...
Did you assemble the head? If so, perhaps the cotter was not seated properly and just pupped out.

Was it a used head shipped to you and just installed as it came out of the box? ....If so, the valve spring top may have been depressed in shipping and allowed the cotter to come unseated 
If this was a fresh head build with new parts id be concerned it was assembled wrong or mismatched parts were used.
If it was a used head that was disassembled and then reassembled, id be looking closely at the valve and cotters to make sure there is no wear..cotter and valve have nice square shoulders to fit together, OD of the cotter does not appear to be worn, still have a clean taper, and same from the spring top. 

I basically bought a used head with all accessories for a quick bolt on and go. As you can see and this zoomed photo the spring has so two nicks/damage on it. I going to order a cheap spring compressor to reinstall the cotter and go from there . Thanks again

1 minute ago, Uro pieces said:

I basically bought a used head with all accessories for a quick bolt on and go. As you can see and this zoomed photo the spring has so two nicks/damage on it. I going to order a cheap spring compressor to reinstall the cotter and go from there . Thanks again

That is not the spring in that pic, it is the spring top, or cap if you will,,,separate part than the spring.

Those marks ...something hit the edge of the top and likely allowed the cotter to come unseated. ..Might have been during handling of the used part, might have been from a tool used to remove the cotters... Lots of folks hit the spring with a socket or other tool to depress the spring and top, allowing the cotter to dislodge ...Hitting the spring top gets you what you see.
Replace the spring top and cotters and you are likely good to go..

You can probably clean up the mark on the ID of the spring topper.  Or buy a new one.

Agreed with comments from others, I don't see a broken keeper but rather they do not appear to be fully installed.  They can get wedged like that if they are not set into the valve stem correctly.

Is the cylinder head currently off the bike?  If so, you may want to just remove the valve and post photos of the valve stem and keepers on a towel.  Make sure they fit together as expected and are not damaged.

Do not remove the valve without making sure the top of the valve is not damaged or mushroomed. If the top of the valve is mushroomed at all take a dremel to it and grind it to the proper size to prevent damaging the valve guide.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BikeChimp
      I'd like to turn my UK 2004 DRZ400S back to stock airbox (snorkel) and jets, needle shim position etc
      When I bought it the PO had fitted a Sigma6 kit and done the 3x3 mod but is doesn't have a tapered needle like the JD and other kits. Took me ages to get it running right, however it still runs rich and I'm fed up of arsing around with it. 
      So I've bought a standard airbox without 3x3 hole, stock exhaust.
      Q1 The Suzuki manual says this Mukuni BSR36 (29FA) carb should have a 142.5 Main Jet but the Clymer manual say its a 135.  In UK everything's from sea level to 1000m. I'm in Sheffield so nothing gets above 500m even in the Peaks (Hills). Any UK owners or anyone else know what the correct jet should be?
      Q2 Says the original needle is a '5DH36-2nd'. The needle has 5 notches on it. Currently set at 2 clip from bottom. The Suzuki reference says needle is 5DH36-2nd, Does the 2nd bit mean 2nd from top or bottom?
      Q3 - Does anyone have a detailed photo of the shim order just in case it was assembled wrong. (mine is attached)
      I know most people on here are going to be horrified I'm taking back to stock but any help on above would be really appreciated.

• By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

-11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

- stock gas tank and seat will be included

The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .