2017/ 2018 WP Xplor forks question

So I changed the seals on a 2017 KTM 500 fork and I can’t seem to butt up the cap with the nut above the spring guide. The rebound side the nut tightens into the cap but not on the comp side. Pictures of both sides shown. 

A41A0A5B-1ECE-4094-AC7C-C37722ADF3BC.jpeg

32A5FE87-BF13-4D55-9774-F851FA281698.jpeg

Just a note I tried to hold the black plastic spring guide and turn the nut. The other side of the aluminum nut is threaded into the plastic spring guide and appears it isn’t suppose to come out. 

6848796F-77DC-4F16-AC71-3AE9F3B2347F.jpeg

The cap on a oc fork screwed as far on by hand as you can ,then the nut comes back up the rod to meet it

27 minutes ago, mog said:

The cap on a oc fork screwed as far on by hand as you can ,then the nut comes back up the rod to meet it

Hum that’s what it appears is correct and is the same as all the other forks I’ve done. But the nut won’t unscrew to go up from the black plastic spring guide. Maybe I have to hold the damper rod below then screw the black spring holder with nut up in the threads?  

Yes but protect the damper rod ,they mark so easy

Ok the answer was gently put the damper rod in a aluminum jaw vice and unscrew the spring guide. 👍

If you go against the cap it should have unscrewed

38 minutes ago, mog said:

If you go against the cap it should have unscrewed

Probably so. It was a bit tight. 

12 hours ago, stevethe said:

Hum that’s what it appears is correct and is the same as all the other forks I’ve done. But the nut won’t unscrew to go up from the black plastic spring guide. Maybe I have to hold the damper rod below then screw the black spring holder with nut up in the threads?  

Yeah on wp's the nut is molded to the spring guide, and  hold the rod just below the spring guide when screwing the cap on, other wise the spring guide can start screwing down, and you can loose thread length going into the cap, if cap meets any resistance on the threads as you screw it on, the whole rod will screw down into the spring guide.  Just try not to marr the rod Holding it.

Go watch Slavens videos on the OC forks.  He does a good job showing how the top cap and the spring guide fit together.

Sounds like you have it figured out.

Another little oopsie that happened was the compression cap adjuster got spun past it’s engagement. So the brass screw portion below was disengaged from the adjuster. It was a bit of a pain but the boy got it back together somehow though.