Lithium charging (Tusk)

Question...

Recently bought a Tusk Lithium battery for my '16 500 EXC from RockyMtnATV (PN 1561180004) along with the seemingly correct Tusk charger (PN 1263750002). The page for the battery says 'it works with the Tusk charger', and this is the only Tusk charger they sell. Q&A also confirms the charger is ok for Lithium, as do all the reviews. I installed the battery and checked the voltage and it read 13.48V, all good. I plugged up the Tusk charger to test it, and it started charging (red light indicator). At 13.48V I would have expected it to auto-shutoff soon (green light indicator) but after 5min it was still charging. I took it off because it seemed wrong and I didn't want to hurt anything.

Emailed RMtn tech support and they say after research, they conclude it is not the correct charger for that battery. When chatting with them online, they say Lithium output is 12.5-14.6V and maybe the auto-shutoff needs to reach 14.6V before shutting off, but were unsure, and also seemed to say its not a charger for Lithium.

Anyone have experience with this Tusk charger? Is it acting normally? Is RMtnATV's page wrong saying that the Tusk charger is compatible with their Tusk Lithium batteries? I'm a bit hesitant to plug this thing in anymore at this point. Not trying to burn down my EXC! SUPER light battery by the way, weighs a third of the stock Yuasa lead acid.

How long did you leave it charging?    and did the voltage change during that time

That's a relatively inexpensive charger , I wouldn't trust it either(as far as leaving it on), but when you ride the bike, should charge up more if it can, or maybe 13.48 its charged fully.

to me 13.48 is fine, just let it go till you ride, then after the ride (50 miles or more) recheck the standby voltage.

Lithium batteries don't need constant charging...and 13.48 volts is good.

My battery has been sitting for 3 months now...in the bike...13.4 volts....fires up the bike the same as it always does.

This Tusk charger is not a 'maintenance type', its a simple 12V 1.5A that just has an auto-shutoff feature, but there is no documentation as to what voltage that occurs at (and RockyMtn didn't know). It has no desulfation mode so it is fine for Lithium batteries.

I'm going on a ride tomorrow so I'll bring the voltmeter and see what it reads after some time. Overall, if/when the battery gets low, guess I'll just have to plug up the charger and check voltage every so often.

Edited by LS1Steve

16 hours ago, allout48 said:

take it out of bike to charge it..

Why, just a precaution? I have a battery tender line wired in for easy charge access... Not sure how that would hurt the bike electronics to have everything connected together.

8 minutes ago, LS1Steve said:

Why, just a precaution? I have a battery tender line wired in for easy charge access... Not sure how that would hurt the bike electronics to have everything connected together.

Because if the charger keeps charging it past 14.4 for some reason, the battery will catch on fire along with your bike. That is why you don't leave it charging for long if using a normal trickle charger. If you are charging it and forget it to unplug it could be a costly mistake, though unlikely. 

4 hours ago, LS1Steve said:

This Tusk charger is not a 'maintenance type', its a simple 12V 1.5A that just has an auto-shutoff feature, but there is no documentation as to what voltage that occurs at (and RockyMtn didn't know). It has no desulfation mode so it is fine for Lithium batteries.

I'm going on a ride tomorrow so I'll bring the voltmeter and see what it reads after some time. Overall, if/when the battery gets low, guess I'll just have to plug up the charger and check voltage every so often.

Yeah just don’t overcharge it as you shouldn’t need more than 30 minutes on a 1.5 amp charger.