Frame Restoration?

So I'm debating whether or not to give this bike a full refresh or sell it and buy a new bike? Currently this bike has quite a bit into it but I'm not 100% sold on it yet, if I do decide to keep it I am going to need to resto the frame as the paint is in rough shape and well I don't care for the red so I'll change that as well.

The question is, would I really benefit from getting a newer bike, I know that's a loaded question b/c it's different for everyone and I've seen guys on older bikes who can still haul A**, back to the it's the rider more than the bike right! 

So if I do decide to keep this I know I'm going to want to take care of the frame but I just don't know how hard that's really going to be and if it's worth the hassle? One major concern I have is do I need to remove all the bearings (head tube, swing arm)? What other tips should I be aware of to make sure are done to make this go smoothly?

• Like 1

Powder coating would be the way to go, and you'd have to remove everything from the frame cause it will get sandblasted and baked. 

• Like 2

Better forks.  Lengthen the shock. Fix and replace whatever needs to be fixed.  It will give up nothing.

I've had a couple frames powder coated.  Next year mine will be due as well.  All you need to to is but some bolts and washers through holes to keep the steel bare and retain dimensions, and also keep threads clean.  Motor mount brackets, link arm mount, coil mount brackets, etc.  Anywhere that the PC would be a problem, and sanding off PC is more of a PIA than this prep before coating.  For the head bearings just completely degrease, get two large rubber stoppers, drill them through and run a rod with nuts and washers to retain them.  Then they can sandblast and coat without worry. 

• Like 1

I’ve got the Ohlins conversion and all setup by Stillwell for me. I’m just loving the idea of TPI and I don’t like the red. But far cheaper to PC the frame and get graphics I like than buy a new bike.

The idea of tearing it down to the frame is daunting.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

but TPI is sweet

who cares giphy.gif.4ef53845731cfff07431dab4b8c4b62b.gif anyways

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 2

TPI would be reason enough for me to pass for sure.

• Like 1

Problem is I really want the bike to look better and the soonest I could get a 300 XC would be Aug, and that's going to be tough to pull off as there won't be many coming in from what the dealers have said...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

I’ve got the Ohlins conversion and all setup by Stillwell for me. I’m just loving the idea of TPI and I don’t like the red. But far cheaper to PC the frame and get graphics I like than buy a new bike.

The idea of tearing it down to the frame is daunting.

If that's what you really like sell and go get what you want.. Life is too short. It's completely what I would not want personally. Your bike actually sounds better than a TPI bike to me but you should get what you want. It's not great to have your bike all redone and you still wish you had another bike. For me I like the lower seat height and how a Beta works. No TPI for me. From what you say so far.. Go get what you want... sell this one. You'll have to start all over though with modding etc but so what. You'll get what you really want. I guess shop around and see if you can get a TPI bike sooner somewhere.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

So I'm debating whether or not to give this bike a full refresh or sell it and buy a new bike? Currently this bike has quite a bit into it but I'm not 100% sold on it yet, if I do decide to keep it I am going to need to resto the frame as the paint is in rough shape and well I don't care for the red so I'll change that as well.

The question is, would I really benefit from getting a newer bike, I know that's a loaded question b/c it's different for everyone and I've seen guys on older bikes who can still haul A**, back to the it's the rider more than the bike right! 

So if I do decide to keep this I know I'm going to want to take care of the frame but I just don't know how hard that's really going to be and if it's worth the hassle? One major concern I have is do I need to remove all the bearings (head tube, swing arm)? What other tips should I be aware of to make sure are done to make this go smoothly?

Just dont restore the bike with a blue frame then sell it months later at a loss to get what you really want citing other annoying little things about the old bike as justifications.

Life is too short, money is relative, fixing old dirt bikes is a labor of love not profit and is time intensive. If you are looking forward don't get bogged down in a restoration.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bikesandcars said:

Just dont restore the bike with a blue frame then sell it months later at a loss to get what you really want citing other annoying little things about the old bike as justifications.

Life is too short, money is relative, fixing old dirt bikes is a labor of love not profit and is time intensive. If you are looking forward don't get bogged down in a restoration.

Yea if youre going to get rid of the bike later Id suggest a more conservative look if painting.  A bike with a different color frame more times would turn a buyer off to go to another bike to buy. .. well if you don’t care about resale so much then paint any color you like though.

what if you chromed it though???

that would be sweet!!!

but a new bike is still a new bike,

and thats prettty sweet too.

Edited by surfer-dude

1 hour ago, surfer-dude said:

that would be sweet!!!

Chrome plate a frame? That would be cool and very bery expensive. I chrome plated my hubs on my cr 250 and put stainless spokes. It is easy to clean and the bike looked nice!! Chrome prices were semi reasonable then . Now it’s skyrocket prices. 

• Like 1

I hate chrome even more than I dislike red, this is my plan if I decide to keep it.......

This decal kit and blue frame and maybe get the hubs done to match the frame. I think this would look sick but I'm not sure how that would affect resale, some folks really like red I guess... lol

BEta decal.PNG

Edited by Wrfrk
  • Like 1

If you decide to proceed, as long as its easy to clean and maintain and doesn't rust whats the difference?  '13 isn't going to bring big $$ anyway, why I'm keeping mine.  I had a GG frame done in black hammertone (silver specs) because the coater had a ton of it and made me a deal.  Looked good with red plastic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

that would be sweet!!!

In the '70s a friend of mine had a 650 Rickman-Triumph with a nickel frame and BRG tank and fenders. Talk about sweet! My local Beta dealer had one on display (a customer's bike) for a while a year or so ago. Mint, with polished engine, and all original. I don't think a modern bike would show off the frame as well as the Rickman did though. Too much plastic.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GP said:

If you decide to proceed, as long as its easy to clean and maintain and doesn't rust whats the difference?  '13 isn't going to bring big $$ anyway, why I'm keeping mine.  I had a GG frame done in black hammertone (silver specs) because the coater had a ton of it and made me a deal.  Looked good with red plastic. 

I could still get $5500 for it as it is but that's top dollar. The new KTM though would be 11k and I just don't know if the benefits out weigh that nasty price tag....

• Like 1

Have you posted pics of your frame? Rough shape? What’s your definition of rough?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark-us-B said:

Have you posted pics of your frame? Rough shape? What’s your definition of rough?

No I've not posted pics but I like my stuff kept in really nice condition at all times. On the bottom of the frame there is rock damage from previous owner before he installed the skid plate plus around the neck of the head tube where it once had a stabilizer it's worn the paint down. 

I think for now I'm just going to get new graphix and see how it turns out. Those will knock off a lot of the red and should still tie into the red frame nicely enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wrfrk said:

I could still get $5500 for it as it is but that's top dollar. The new KTM though would be 11k and I just don't know if the benefits out weigh that nasty price tag....

If you can get $5500 for it and you are set on a new bike I wouldn't touch it. I am in the market for a 300 RR and for a '13 I would expect some wear. More than that, I may be scared off if I thought someone had covered up a hard life. If you are going to keep it for a while and fixing it up makes you happy, git-er-done. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here can answer that question but you. It's your money...5k takes a year for some to save and a week for others.

I will say that the beat up ktm200 xcw I bought for $2500 is just as fun as my xtrainer I bought new, and that really taught me something. I didn't say as good, they are different, but drop me in the woods on either and I'm smiling.

• Like 3