Cooling system help?

Need advice from the brain trust. I purchased a 2004 200EXC that has been sitting a long time. It was last ridden in 2007. Cleaned carb and fuel system and figured I would warm it up and change fluids. It ran great and proceeded to overheat. Coolant was close to full however when I removed the cap I found what look like salt or mineral deposits around the filler neck. I decided to redo the cooling system and ordered two new radiators from Mylers. I was not sure about the cheap radiators found on ebay. Next question is where can I find a quality silicon hose kit for this? I find some cheap ones on ebay but they say sent from China may take weeks. Samco and most of the online shops do not list them for this year range. Last question is the silicon hoses seem to bypass the thermostat. Is this a good idea for trail riding? It would seem like the additional warm up time might not be a good idea on a 2 stroke. Thanks again all help appreciated.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Can't answer where to buy silicone hose question but I wonder if that CLR stuff you see for cleaning mineral deposits out of showers and bathrooms would work on those? Might be worth a try soaking them in that stuff. If it works you have a spare radiator set. I have a set of the cheap radiators on another bike and they work fine, no problems at all.

• Like 1

Can't answer where to buy silicone hose question but I wonder if that CLR stuff you see for cleaning mineral deposits out of showers and bathrooms would work on those? Might be worth a try soaking them in that stuff. If it works you have a spare radiator set. I have a set of the cheap radiators on another bike and they work fine, no problems at all.

Thanks I was considering that as well. I signed up on ThumperTalk a while back and could not figure out why it would not let me post even though I would click on the verify email on my phone. Finally logged in on my computer and everything is fine. I probably would have tried cleaning them but I am planning a trip a long ways from home and would like to eliminate potential problems. I also picked it up for a song so can afford to spend a little on it.
  • Like 1

Great bike, I own and love it.

Great bike, I own and love it.

I was quite surprised at the performance before it overheated. I took a long break from dirt and am coming back at the young age of 45. It seemed as strong as I remember my older 250’s but maybe it’s just me getting older!
  • Like 1

Where ya headin with it?

Not sure how well it will do at altitude but we are headed to Taylor Park reservoir in August. I went two years ago with my inlaws and had a blast. Don’t flame me but I took my Polaris General. I have seen the light and want to bring two wheels this time. I figure I have 6mos to get myself and the bike in shape. I am open to suggestions for a bike a little better suited for the area but will definitely keep and get the 200 in good shape. Put a new battery in the speedo and shows 23 hours and 320 miles. IMG_0445.jpgIMG_0446.jpg

Awesome! Can't help ya on getting it jetted for that kind of elevation. What elevation do you live at? It might be worth looking at a Lectron or Smart Carb. I am not familiar with them other than they can change the air to fuel mixture automatically (I think). If you are going to jet the the stock carb at or close to the elevation you will be riding at then no big deal but it might be worth checking into. It would suck to go all that way, with all those high hopes only to have the bike fall on its face cause it isn't jetted properly. Lots of great resources out there. ktmtalk.com being a huge one. Register and start posting as they have kind of a probationary period to be able to post. You can find almost anything you want to know about any year KTM you have questions about on that site. Has really helped me a bunch.

Awesome! Can't help ya on getting it jetted for that kind of elevation. What elevation do you live at? It might be worth looking at a Lectron or Smart Carb. I am not familiar with them other than they can change the air to fuel mixture automatically (I think). If you are going to jet the the stock carb at or close to the elevation you will be riding at then no big deal but it might be worth checking into. It would suck to go all that way, with all those high hopes only to have the bike fall on its face cause it isn't jetted properly. Lots of great resources out there. ktmtalk.com being a huge one. Register and start posting as they have kind of a probationary period to be able to post. You can find almost anything you want to know about any year KTM you have questions about on that site. Has really helped me a bunch.

Thanks!
I was hoping the manual would be close on jet selections I was planning on ordering the JD jet kit as well as the recommended factory Keihin jets. Elevation will vary between 9k to 11.5. I am more worried about me than the bike! My FIL and his brother both do it at 60.

1 minute ago, Runnin Loose said:

Thanks!
I was hoping the manual would be close on jet selections I was planning on ordering the JD jet kit as well as the recommended factory Keihin jets. Elevation will vary between 9k to 11.5. I am more worried about me than the bike! My FIL and his brother both do it at 60.

Learn how to do squats correctly. Weight your heels. Do them every day, as many as you can, you can do them anywhere, anytime. When you think of them do em. Learn to stretch correctly also, will help prevent injuring yourself. Walk up steps as often as you can. There are so many places that you can get in better shape without having to go anywhere different. Check out KTM talk and ask people on there what they do. You will get so much useful info as to what works best it will amaze you. Jeff Slavens racing website and himself is a great resource as well. He lives in Colorado and is usually more than willing to help, especially if you do your business with him.

Learn how to do squats correctly. Weight your heels. Do them every day, as many as you can, you can do them anywhere, anytime. When you think of them do em. Learn to stretch correctly also, will help prevent injuring yourself. Walk up steps as often as you can. There are so many places that you can get in better shape without having to go anywhere different. Check out KTM talk and ask people on there what they do. You will get so much useful info as to what works best it will amaze you. Jeff Slavens racing website and himself is a great resource as well. He lives in Colorado and is usually more than willing to help, especially if you do your business with him.

I’m loving it this is a great site! Guess I need to slow down on these!IMG_0513.jpg

I have a 07 200 XCW and the JD jetting kit w/ 10000 ft setting works pretty dang good. Ride in Leadville up to about 13k, and it loses power but its not the jetting really. What little difference it'd make isn't worth changing jets mid-ride.

Contrary to the nay-sayers, I have found the KTM jetting charts to be very good.  Air for the leaner end of your spectrum and you should be pleased with the results.  My experience has been better with the KTM needles than with the much ballyhooed Suzuki needles or the JD needles.

• Like 2

For jetting call Morrell Griffith at  Sun Sports Cycle in Gunnison, Co.  970-641-0883.  He's a great guy and can put you spot on on jetting.  Unless you weigh over 200 pounds, that 200 will do you just fine. I've had 3 of them up there and I loved them.  I'm about 175 pounds, and no problem.

I have a 07 200 XCW and the JD jetting kit w/ 10000 ft setting works pretty dang good. Ride in Leadville up to about 13k, and it loses power but its not the jetting really. What little difference it'd make isn't worth changing jets mid-ride.

Thanks!

Contrary to the nay-sayers, I have found the KTM jetting charts to be very good.  Air for the leaner end of your spectrum and you should be pleased with the results.  My experience has been better with the KTM needles than with the much ballyhooed Suzuki needles or the JD needles.

Good to know I am in Texas at Sea Level. Quite a bit of change camp is around 9500 and up from there.

For jetting call Morrell Griffith at  Sun Sports Cycle in Gunnison, Co.  970-641-0883.  He's a great guy and can put you spot on on jetting.  Unless you weigh over 200 pounds, that 200 will do you just fine. I've had 3 of them up there and I loved them.  I'm about 175 pounds, and no problem.

I will do so. I am around 200lbs without gear on 175 was pre marriage. Now I have a natural kidney belt if you know what I mean.