2016 DRZ SM Fork Oil Level - need recommendations

My clickers are set right and it feels great, but I’m 3 clicks out from all the way in and still bottoming.

I want to add oil to stiffen it up, but the book doesn’t specify a range like I’m used to. Am i OK to add 10-20mL to the outer tubes to see if i make a difference?

Not sure if this over stresses others components.

IMG_1517456865.920679.jpg

Forgot to add these are the newer style dual chamber DRZ forks. The regular part of my book shows old open bath forks and these were in the back.

Not to cause confusion, I’m sure specs differ

Adding oil will stiffer the progression in the last 1/3 of the travel.

Are your spring rates matched to your weight and perhaps extra gear you have installed on the bike?

At the moment, the link / picture you posted isn't working.

Edited by mlatour

Adding oil will stiffer the progression in the last 1/3 of the travel.

Are your spring rates matched to your weight and perhaps extra gear you have installed on the bike?

At the moment, the link / picture you posted isn't working.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Springs are stock and I’m 140 lbs with gear. Normally big bikes are too stiff for me. I was going to try oil, if i don’t like, get springs and or valving.

Pic is just of the manual spec 350mL oil outer tube. I’m wondering if i can adjust since it doesn’t give me a low-high range. Maybe that’s only a honda thing, I’m spoiled by their books.

Wrap a zip-tie around a fork leg and confirm you are using up all the travel and indeed bottoming.

As you've mentioned, at 140lbs, you may actually be feeling stiff dampening come into play which

gives you the impression you're hitting the end of the travel.

Curious to what type of riding you are doing with a DRZ SM (supermoto) that would use up all the travel?

Edited by mlatour

Wrap a zip-tie around a fork leg and confirm you are using up all the travel and indeed bottoming.

As you've mentioned, at 140lbs, you may actually be feeling stiff dampening come into play which
gives you the impression you're hitting the end of the travel.

Curious to what type of riding you are doing with a DRZ SM (supermoto) that would use up all the travel?

It’s most dangerous off road hitting a large rock. It’s not soaking anything. I’m running out of travel and deflecting. It rides very low in the stroke. Raising comp/faster rebound helped but only so much before I’m out of adjustment.

Plus my SM fender scrapes my tire all the time. It’s very audible

I also do a lot of jumping on the concrete with the sumo wheels on. The shock and fork both run out of travel.

If you go on to racetech website you can put in year make model riding style and weight. It will tell you what spring rate is stock and recomend possibly a new weight. 

What was was last time you changed fork fluid?  Should be about every 30 hrs!

the air space will also be indicated. I wouldn't add to much oil until you know what's in there now!

If you go on to racetech website you can put in year make model riding style and weight. It will tell you what spring rate is stock and recomend possibly a new weight. 

What was was last time you changed fork fluid?  Should be about every 30 hrs!
the air space will also be indicated. I wouldn't add to much oil until you know what's in there now!

It’s time. I’m changing oil now which is why i wanted to adjust height.

Maybe just a thicker oil?

Tbh the issue does feel like it’s under sprung, but I’m so hesitant to believe I’m too heavy for a DRZ. Bitch is 2x me plus some.

Can type of riding call for stiffer springs or just weight

54 minutes ago, dan2581 said:

Can type of riding call for stiffer springs or just weight

Type of riding can call for different springs and stiffer valving,

in stock form the SM never intended to take jumps or do serious off-roading,

it is no doubt valved way too soft for your specific usage.

You may have the right spring rate for your weight but the dampening is too soft and blows thru the stroke too fast.

Thicker oil may help but may also make for a very harsh ride on smaller obstacles.

Edited by mlatour

Type of riding can call for different springs and stiffer valving,
in stock form the SM never intended to take jumps or do serious off-roading,
it is no doubt valved way too soft for your specific usage.

You may have the right spring rate for your weight but the dampening is too soft and blows thru the stroke too fast.
Thicker oil may help but may also make for a very harsh ride on smaller obstacles.

Good diagnosis. I figured that’s what needs to happen.

Dumb question, are these showas? I send my honda stuff to Graeme brough but if it’s kyb I’ll send it to Enzo or something

The Race Tech spring rate calculator / info page mentions Showa 47U type forks,

also that the suggested oil volume is 380cc rather than 350cc.

Perhaps try adding 30cc to 40cc of oil before considering sending off the forks for a revalve.

The Race Tech spring rate calculator / info page mentions Showa 47U type forks,
also that the suggested oil volume is 380cc rather than 350cc.

Perhaps try adding 30cc to 40cc of oil before considering sending off the forks for a revalve.

Thanks for the recommendation and confirming showas. I’ve typically had great results by just adding a bit of oil to get forks to stiffen up without losing too much anywhere else.

I’ll report back