Fastway adjustable dog bones clearance

If I only had an XTrainer already.

I would just as soon spend the extra money on the Fastway guard, the triangle part of the linkage is very exposed on the Beta's.

Yeah, kind of understandable why its on closeout, somewhat useless.  The bike is low already, lowering the rear more is bad, and no protection. 

I think guys would just go the fastway guard route if changing and kill 2 birds with one stone. I guess it’s a deal for those who want  . I still got my obielink guard for linkage protection . Thats all thats needed but the fastway linkage guard has to be the mod to cover all the choices the best. If one wants. I guess some can buy and try if they like.

This and an Obie link guard is much cheaper than the Fastway Linkage Guard. Someone could save well over $100 going this route. 

I went with the Fastway guard solely for the protection. As GP said, there isn't really isn't a good tuning reason to lower the back of the Beta. I looked at the Obie link guard, but in the case of the Beta's, their linkage is is very susceptible to damage...IMO the Fastway offers more protection. Not that it's needed for everyone...my bikes take some hard hits in some of the crosstraining and hard enduro stuff I do.

2 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

I went with the Fastway guard solely for the protection. As GP said, there isn't really isn't a good tuning reason to lower the back of the Beta. I looked at the Obie link guard, but in the case of the Beta's, their linkage is is very susceptible to damage...IMO the Fastway offers more protection. Not that it's needed for everyone...my bikes take some hard hits in some of the crosstraining and hard enduro stuff I do.

There's the bling factor with the fastway guard as well . It does look cool and it's got to be the best protection.  As far as really needing the protection well that's sort of a question too but if one wants it I can see the draw. That being said I've pounded the shit out of links on other bikes going through rocks and whatever and not had any protection at all for like 12 years on one bike. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a fastway link guard. I went the cheaper upgrade route with the obielink and it's worked great. It doesn't look as cool as the fastway though. As far as the lowering of the bike option with this sale link? That's a personal choice. Some rather have their bikes a little lower.. especially those with shorter legs. This might make just the slightest difference that is worth it .. especially in those riverbeds and water crossings. There's always lowering kits aswell to go to for shorter riders.. but this is simple and may be just enough to work and at a discount.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Fastway is great, mine is very hammered and still functional.  I added the polymer slider to replace the ground off aluminum!  The Obie is good for a lot of applications but consider you still transfer a lot of force to the rocker in a hit, just through a few mm of plastic.  If you have serviced your bearings, you know how thin wall the sides of the rocker are where the seals press in. 

22 minutes ago, GP said:

Fastway is great, mine is very hammered and still functional.  I added the polymer slider to replace the ground off aluminum!  The Obie is good for a lot of applications but consider you still transfer a lot of force to the rocker in a hit, just through a few mm of plastic.  If you have serviced your bearings, you know how thin wall the sides of the rocker are where the seals press in. 

Im liking that the prices are going down around a hundred bucks since they first came out .. plus added the plastic to the bottom..I think it’s down to around 250..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

There are some similar copycat type of Stillwell guards out too. Some without yhe lowering options. Don’t know if prices have dropped for those . Think its called xlink from Australia.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
20 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There are some similar copycat type of Stillwell guards out too. Some without yhe lowering options. Don’t know if prices have dropped for those . Think its called xlink from Australia.

On one of the Facebook groups I saw a picture of one of the 'other' brands and it was literally busted in half. If you compare the thickness of them as well, you can definitely see how thin the other ones are compared to the Fastway. 

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

On one of the Facebook groups I saw a picture of one of the 'other' brands and it was literally busted in half. If you compare the thickness of them as well, you can definitely see how thin the other ones are compared to the Fastway. 

Wow that sucks.. was it the bolt on one or the kind like the xlink and fastway?

Wow that sucks.. was it the bolt on one or the kind like the xlink and fastway?


The full unit like the Fastway. I don't think it was the X Link, I think it was the Moto Mali.
3 hours ago, Goatse said:

 


The full unit like the Fastway. I don't think it was the X Link, I think it was the Moto Mali.

 

It looks pretty burly. You wouldn’t think it’s not strong.

 

http://motomali.com/product/linkage-guard/

 

 

It looks pretty burly. You wouldn’t think it’s not strong.
 
http://motomali.com/product/linkage-guard/
 
 


I definitely wouldn't use the word Burly. Especially for the area circled in blue. SmartSelectImage_2018-02-03-21-28-39.png
30 minutes ago, Goatse said:

 


I definitely wouldn't use the word Burly. Especially for the area circled in blue. SmartSelectImage_2018-02-03-21-28-39.png

 

Ive never seen up close or at all.. ... is it that much smaller than fastway? I guess so from your blue circle.

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ive never seen up close or at all.. ... is it that much smaller than fastway? I guess so from your blue circle.

 

Fastway is wayyy burlier.

Ive never seen up close or at all.. ... is it that much smaller than fastway? I guess so from your blue circle.


I just searched both groups on Facebook. I wonder if the pic was pulled. But I'm 100% certain it was of a non-Fastway link busted right in half.
On 2/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

There's the bling factor with the fastway guard as well . It does look cool and it's got to be the best protection.  As far as really needing the protection well that's sort of a question too but if one wants it I can see the draw. That being said I've pounded the shit out of links on other bikes going through rocks and whatever and not had any protection at all for like 12 years on one bike. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a fastway link guard. I went the cheaper upgrade route with the obielink and it's worked great. It doesn't look as cool as the fastway though. As far as the lowering of the bike option with this sale link? That's a personal choice. Some rather have their bikes a little lower.. especially those with shorter legs. This might make just the slightest difference that is worth it .. especially in those riverbeds and water crossings. There's always lowering kits aswell to go to for shorter riders.. but this is simple and may be just enough to work and at a discount.

I damaged my linkage on my 300rr with less than 40hrs. The big hole is bent. I don't even ride hard terrain that much so it had to have been from the trials type stuff. I have smashed that thing through concrete more than once. I'm going to try the obie guard, it's plastic but I think the design will make it perform better than the heavy duty guards by sliding over stuff rather than smashing into it. That's my hope anyway.

20180111_164621.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now