Motor question

I was thinking of buying a new RM450z trail bike and making it street legal but people have told me those motors require new rings every 15 hours or so. Is this true? 

Maybe if you are racing motocross at the pro level. For trail riding and street use the rings should last well over 100 hours.

Have you researched that bike much? There are likely better (lighter, more powerful, more durable) machines available at that price point.

• Like 1

Yeah, I would try and plate a Yami WR, or a DRZ E or kickstart model instead

11 minutes ago, Brettskii said:

I was thinking of buying a new RM450z trail bike and making it street legal but people have told me those motors require new rings every 15 hours or so. Is this true? 

Do you mean the RMX450Z by chance?

23 minutes ago, Brettskii said:

The guys telling you rings need changing every 15 hours are either seasoned pros, or have never owned or worked on a modern 4t. :facepalm:

Rmx450z. Older guy that owns a small engine shop. Builds racing engines. It just doesn't make sense to me. I could put 15 hours in a bike in a weekend. 

17 minutes ago, Brettskii said:

Rmx450z. Older guy that owns a small engine shop. Builds racing engines. It just doesn't make sense to me. I could put 15 hours in a bike in a weekend. 

Pretty sure the rmX doesn't need the frequent motor work of the rm, could end up being a very nice ride.

• Like 1

How much more powerful do you think this bike is over the drz400?

Back when RMXs' were 2strokes, they were top of the line bikes. I've never seen a 4t X, but I imagine they're a nice race (woods) bike, definitely faster and lighter than a DRZ

Excluding very aggressively ridden small bore two strokes, nothing goes through rings in 15 hours. 

All of the guys I ride with are going about 100 hours on a top end.  Outdoor motocross, desert riding.  Have not seen anybody blow a motor on that interval yet.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:37 AM, Brettskii said:

Not true.