SB6070 – Motorcycle parking

Current Washington State law does not permit parking more than one motorcycle in a single parallel parking spot and also requires that the bike be parked parallel to the curb.

Obviously, with the exception of a rare law enforcement officer with a really bad attitude about motorcyclists, this law is not enforced.

Senate Bill SB6070 would remove these unreasonable constraints and legalize sensible motorcycle parking. This bill was passed this week by the Senate 45-1 (Senator Liias was the only no vote).

It now moves to the House of Representatives.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6070&Year=2017

If you support this common sense piece of legislation, click on the comment tab and let both of you House of Representatives member know.

Done!

13 hours ago, tod701 said:

Current Washington State law does not permit parking more than one motorcycle in a single parallel parking spot and also requires that the bike be parked parallel to the curb.

Obviously, with the exception of a rare law enforcement officer with a really bad attitude about motorcyclists, this law is not enforced.

Senate Bill SB6070 would remove these unreasonable constraints and legalize sensible motorcycle parking. This bill was passed this week by the Senate 45-1 (Senator Liias was the only no vote).

It now moves to the House of Representatives.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6070&Year=2017

If you support this common sense piece of legislation, click on the comment tab and let both of you House of Representatives member know.

Thank you Tod!

Dear Mr. Cook:

Thank you for contacting me early in the session about your support for SB 5387, establishing permissible methods of parking a motorcycle..

This Senate bill initially passed with 45 yeas and 1 nay. In the House, it passed unanamously with an amendment, thus returning to the Senate for a vote. I regret to inform you that this much supported bill did not meet the final cutoff date in the Senate and therefore did not come to the floor for a vote. Should it be reintroduced in the 2019 session, I will again support it.

Thank you again for contacting me. I will always do my best to protect the interests and the values of our district's citizens.

Sincerely,

Representative Cindy Ryu, MBA, (D-32nd)

As received the other day. At least I know that Ms Ryu will respond to my requests and communications. She also stops by our block party during national night out; so while she might not completely support my personal agenda, I at least know that she is willing to listen and be in contact with her constituents.

start parking your big group according to the current law, that'll send the message

Edited by highmarker
11 minutes ago, highmarker said:

start parking your big group according to the current law, that'll send the message

An organized event to have a few hundred bikes do that early in the morning in downtown Seattle is being considered.

12 hours ago, tod701 said:

An organized event to have a few hundred bikes do that early in the morning in downtown Seattle is being considered.

Make sure that information is disseminated here so we can all participate.

29 minutes ago, pscook said:

Make sure that information is disseminated here so we can all participate.

It will be organized by street bike guys, but if it happens I will pass along the info.

On 4/8/2018 at 6:31 AM, tod701 said:

It will be organized by street bike guys, but if it happens I will pass along the info.

Please do, I currently have a squirrel hole that's free in belltown that I've been parking in without incident but I'll gladly pay for a day or so to make a point. 

As received from Ruth Kagi this afternoon:

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your message regarding SB 6070 concerning motorcycle parking methods. I voted for this bill as it passed the House 98-0. Unfortunately, SB 6070 was amended in the House Committee on Transportation and the Senate would not agree to amendments; therefore, it did not pass this session.

As I have decided not to run for re-election this fall, I will not be able to support this legislation next year. I suggest that you contact new state representative in November to urge their support for these changes.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Best Regards,

Ruth Kagi