use/sales tax informational (revzilla)

this is a first;  anyone received one of these in the mail before?

2017 Purchase Summary

Motorcycles Rule. Taxes Suck.

No matter how fast we ride, one thing always catches up with us— taxes! “Womp womp” (cue trombone). RevZilla regrets having to send you an un-fun email, but Washington requires that we provide you with a summary of all the purchases you’ve made over the past calendar year so you can determine your sales/use tax obligation.

There are lots of places to get gear, and we are humbled that you continue to gear up with us. We hope the details below make it easier for you to file your taxes so you can get back to riding! And figuring out where on the bike to bolt up that tax return…

Your Purchases for 2017:

*Taxable Total $XXX.XX

As the purchaser, you're responsible for filing your annual purchase tax information to the Washington government.

*Washington Sales & Use Tax Notice:

RevZilla is not required to and does not collect Washington state sales or use tax.

You as the consumer may be required to remit sales or use tax directly to the Washington State Department of Revenue

You can find instructions on how to remit your sales or use tax at https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/use-tax#howdo

I just got the same email.....

Yup

How are they not required to collect sales tax?  I'm not in the business of sales so this isn't my wheelhouse but seems weird.  So any online based store could just bypass the whole sales tax thing and put it back on the consumer?  Weird...... very weird.

Edit: After some research, appears there's some options for online retailers to do this.  I can only assume you'all will be filing your taxes appropriately?  Ha!!

Edited by Smokeslider
12 minutes ago, Smokeslider said:

How are they not required to collect sales tax?  I'm not in the business of sales so this isn't my wheelhouse but seems weird.  So any online based store could just bypass the whole sales tax thing and put it back on the consumer?  Weird...... very weird.

You are only required to collect state sales tax if you have business operations in that state. For example, the ThumperTalk parts/accessories store is based in NV. We collect if we ship to customers with an NV address. The rest have no sales tax collected and it's up to the buyer to comply with whatever tax laws in the state they reside. 

I can say that we've not received any info from any state, asking us to email customers that sort of info. Seems fishy to me. Washington state has zero jurisdiction for vendor that ships to their state, but does not have business operations there. If we get a letter from WA asking us to do this, right in the round file.

5 hours ago, DRS said:

*Taxable Total $XXX.XX

Ah come on. We wanted to see how much you blew this year.

Edited by MadBro

Word on the street is that WA state won some ruling against Amazon and anyone that sells on Amazon is now part of the deal. That explains Revzilla. Looks like RZ has business ops in WA state by proxy.

Hmmmm....haven't gotten anything from any online business so far.

Joe

Hmmmm....haven't gotten anything from any online business so far.

Joe
Neither have I. Mail order means a confession once deliveries happen. I try too minimize mail orders...period

I'd ignore it. If they get pushy about it just claim that you assumed it was a scam as this has never happened before. I doubt Revzilla is turning over records with invoices on them.

18 minutes ago, bowhunter007 said:

Neither have I. Mail order means a confession once deliveries happen. I try too minimize mail orders...periodemoji56.png

I meant the notice about taxes, not the deliveries themselves :ride:    ZERO confessions needed here too ;)

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
8 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Word on the street is that WA state won some ruling against Amazon and anyone that sells on Amazon is now part of the deal. That explains Revzilla. Looks like RZ has business ops in WA state by proxy.

so don't buy on Amazon :)

Amazon already taxes WA residents because they are based here. This is part of the new tax package put in place to try and cover the Mcleary decision. It is still supposed to be illegal to tax interstate commerce if the seller does not have a business license in the state, but Washington is trying to do an end around the law and force use tax compliance. I guess this is just another reason to move or just not do business with vendors that comply the these new bullying rules.

I guess you can only cut so much funding to schools and sell so much alcohol. They need extra sources of income.

4 hours ago, MadBro said:

I guess you can only cut so much funding to schools and sell so much alcohol. They need extra sources of income.

0014.jpg

yellow-light-camera-1.jpg

Edited by Slackkinhard

How much do they need?

02032017_405tolls-1020x688.jpg

Edited by Slackkinhard
19 hours ago, MadBro said:

I guess you can only cut so much funding to schools

Washington State funding of schools is at a record high.

That is the opposite of cutting funding, so why say that?

Do you collect sales tax in Washington?

We do not collect Washington Sales or Use Tax. However, your purchase may be taxable. It is not tax exempt just because you purchased over the internet or other remote means.

Based on legal requirements enacted by the State of Washington, any tax due must be reported and paid to the state of Washington on a use tax return. (This notice is required by House Bill 2163, Section 205.)

DX Engineering works hard to earn and keep your trust, which is why we are providing you with information about these state requirements. We appreciate your business.

Notes

DX Engineering and other mail-order and internet retailers are required to comply with these rules, unless they collect sales tax.

Washington law requires us to send you an annual summary of your DX Engineering purchases.

The law requires us to report your purchase information to the Washington Department of Revenue.

Please follow this link for more information about the law in your
state: https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/consumer-use-tax-marketplace-purchases

Note the part that says they will report your sales to the Washington Department of Revenue. This is from a place

that sells Ham radios and other related items, They also have Summit Racing/DX Engineering Gift Cards. So that indicates to me

that Summit also does the same thing now. Going to have to be more aware of what they are doing from now on. 

Washington State funding of schools is at a record high.
That is the opposite of cutting funding, so why say that?

At the state level, yes but not total funding. levies capped locally at 1.50 per 1,000 value. Long story short is our district is over a million short of last year’s funding. But at least we have a new state mandated test!
2 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

At the state level, yes but not total funding. levies capped locally at 1.50 per 1,000 value. Long story short is our district is over a million short of last year’s funding. But at least we have a new state mandated test!

Balance going to bureaucrats in Oly. They're counting on your support.