Anyone here buy an Alta right before the new pricing?

I imagine there are some people who have hard feelings now if they had just recently purchased one. I wonder if the dealers had any advanced notice of the change? Probably like most people I’ve been following the progression of this bike since the beginning, and IMO at that initial price I sorta figured they would have to get more competitive once they got some momentum going. I doubt the price is going any lower now.

I myself am really tempted by the new pricing but I’m still a bit scared off by the volatility of such a new technology/company.

• Like 1

I bought a 2017 dealer's demo 2 months ago. Do I feel cheated? Not at all because this is still an awesome bike and I have been riding it for 2 months already, and I am planning it to keep for a long-lonig time, and it will get a ton of use, so the exact price paid matters much less. It is by far my most favorite bike in my stable.

However, I did have mixed feelings yesterday when I heard about the 2018 Alta Redshift MXR. It is a game changer, and I want one! It is a 450 electric equivalent, and it is a 450 beater. I am jealous. However... I haven't maxed our my current bike yet, other than on some long straights and jumps, so I might still be okay with my current model for now. I feel like I am riding a 250, and may or may not to swing my leg over a 450 just yet. Although, the MXR has slower modes too, and it has a better battery, quicker charge, better suspension, and proper MX tires. It's extremely tempting. Hence -- mixed feelings.

Either way, I am very happy that Alta is producing much cheaper and much better bikes now. It is going to be The Bike to own in the next several years. It already is for me.

I think I might save my money and buy a 2020 Hover Harley instead, when it comes out.

Edited by gphilip
  • Like 2

I bought a 2017 dealer's demo 2 months ago. Do I feel cheated? Not at all because this is still an awesome bike and I have been riding it for 2 months already, and I am planning it to keep for a long-lonig time, and it will get a ton of use, so the exact price paid matters much less. It is by far my most favorite bike in my stable.
However, I did have mixed feelings yesterday when I heard about the 2018 Alta Redshift MXR. It is a game changer, and I want one! It is a 450 electric equivalent, and it is a 450 beater. I am jealous. However... I haven't maxed our my current bike yet, other than on some long straights and jumps, so I might still be okay with my current model for now. I feel like I am riding a 250, and may or may not to swing my leg over a 450 just yet. Although, the MXR has slower modes too, and it has a better battery, quicker charge, better suspension, and proper MX tires. It's extremely tempting. Hence -- mixed feelings.
Either way, I am very happy that Alta is producing much cheaper and much better bikes now. It is going to be The Bike to own in the next several years. It already is for me.
I think I might save my money and buy a 2020 Hover Harley instead, when it comes out.

Interesting. I have a friend who has a motorcycle dealership who I occasionally tease that he should get in on this Alta thing and become a dealer for them. I just recently was on him again after hearing about this MXR model because I’m getting itchy to have one, and his response was basically “no way, did you hear how they dropped the price and ________ everyone who already bought one?!” Made me wonder how those people actually felt about it hence the post.

I’m not familiar with the Hover Harley, I guess I’ll have to Google it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of the early buyers and did email Alta asking if there would be any concessions and they said that they were working on something and that I would hear something soon, well, it's been a month now and nothing, I sort of gave up but yes, it does suck.  I have the super moto and the price of it dropped 2 grand...  It is an unbelievable motorcycle however, you just have to ride one, I'll have another Alta but I'm going to be much more cautious next time before I drop 15 grand on one, electric bikes, like computers/tv's, are going to tank pretty quick due to all the rapid technology updates so don't go in thinking you'll be able to sell it or trade it for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Yes, I also asked Alta what's up. They said they would get back to me as well. :unsure:

Pretty soon these electric bikes will be 100hp, 200 lbs, superchargeable in 25 minutes, with a range of 500 miles, and priced at $4,999. As soon as this happens, instead of selling my 2017 model for $1K, I will be buying a second Alta. :ride::ride:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gphilip said:

I am leaving work in 15 minutes to drive to San Francisco to ride the MXR. There will be another Alta demo day tomorrow at the Hollister Hills SVRA! 

Tomorrow in the regular lower tang or upper gp? Tomorrow is also the bell ride day, no?