Jump to content

2009 drz400sm counter shaft seal

Recommended Posts

So I finally got around to doing some maintenance on my 09 sm. 

I bought the bike with 500km on it last spring and it's currently at 5800km

I'm making my way through the list of must do's, currently have the swing arm off to grease everything properly, thankfully it all came apart with ease, every bolt just slid out. 

Anyway, onto the counter shaft seal, it's got a small dribble, I haven't done the the gear loctite fix, but it'll be done before it goes back on the road. I'm worried that the second gear bushing is ruined. The shaft spins freely, there is no in/out play at all, and the seal has a small leak. 

So my questions are

Should the shaft have a little in/out play or has the bushing already started to go? 

Is the seal known to leak a little or should it be dry? I've never had any drips on the ground. 

IMG_20180201_131108.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erik Marquez said:

You won’t know for sure about the bushing until you tighten down the nut after seal replacement.

If it rotates freely your good

Awesome thanks. At least the nut hasn't come loose yet. 

Seal is ordered, won't be able to take the sprocket off till I get my wheels back, I need the chain to lock it up  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Keddy said:

Awesome thanks. At least the nut hasn't come loose yet. 

Seal is ordered, won't be able to take the sprocket off till I get my wheels back, I need the chain to lock it up  

if the nut has never been found loose and the shaft is turning freely now, it likely will be fine.
You may or may not need it, but plan on replacing the O ring and the spacer as well.  Most times the O ring is fine and the spacer can be cleaned up..... But not always 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

if the nut has never been found loose and the shaft is turning freely now, it likely will be fine.
You may or may not need it, but plan on replacing the O ring and the spacer as well.  Most times the O ring is fine and the spacer can be cleaned up..... But not always 

Alright I'll look into it. I haven't even looked at the exploded view of the parts yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Keddy said:

Alright I'll look into it. I haven't even looked at the exploded view of the parts yet. 

5a73a0933c520_Countershaftsealparts.jpg.cea075fbd0f8ecc93c743520cb6548b6.jpg

the two screws (29) use an impact driver and the proper bit or plan on replacing them
34 is the spacer, sometimes rusted and pitted or grooved at teh seal area.
39 is the O ring that is often reuseable.
23 is the seal
14 is second gear bushing, only replaceable after splitting the case
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

5a73a0933c520_Countershaftsealparts.jpg.cea075fbd0f8ecc93c743520cb6548b6.jpg

the two screws (29) use an impact driver and the proper bit or plan on replacing them
34 is the spacer, sometimes rusted and pitted or grooved at teh seal area.
39 is the O ring that is often reuseable.
23 is the seal
14 is second gear bushing, only replaceable after splitting the case
 

For the price of an oring, I'll replace it. As for the spacer I'll have a look at it. Any suggestions to get the nut off without having a wheel and chain to lock it up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Keddy said:

For the price of an oring, I'll replace it. As for the spacer I'll have a look at it. Any suggestions to get the nut off without having a wheel and chain to lock it up? 

I have a piece of old chain attached to a long bar.... it holds the sprocket in place.

You can also hold the rotor, but that loads the transmission in ways I prefer not to...... likely it would be fine, but it seems safer to hold the sprocket itself, so thats the only way I do it..either wheels and chain on, or my chain bar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×