I currently own a 2018 YZ125 which I love. Has a great ride position, excellent suspension, generally bulletproof. I'm gonna buy a brand new bike this year but this is where I'm stuck. Do I buy a 19 YZ, I know its the same bike since 2005 & you may ask, if you do plan to get a YZ, why don't you stick with the one you've got? I'm in a position to buy a brand new bike every year & nothing feels better than a fresh bike.

Or do I go with the KTM SX125? Love the look of them, KTM continue to develop 2 strokes so they're up to date.

My main concerns about getting a KTM are:

1 - Build quality - are they built as well as the Japanese bikes?

2 - Air forks - are they anywhere near the SSS suspension on the Yamaha

3 - Jetting - I've heard the jetting is a real pain in the ass.

I'm after opinions from people that've owned both and/or ridden both.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

Well if you buy a new bike every year, then there isnt much to lose buying something different to try

• Like 4

I don't really have experience with new ones, but I've heard the SX has around 4 more horsepower than the YZ, which is pretty noticeable. The suspension on the new SX is also supposed to be very good and maybe even better than the YZ, which wasn't the case in previous years. In my opinion you should get the KTM, partially to switch it up a little (I know I'd get bored buying the same bike every year) and partially because of those advantages I mentioned.

• Like 2

I've ridden the 18 TC125 and can tell you the suspension is not up to pair with the YZ "out the door". Engine is nicer, build quality I'd say is the same or higher (atleast when new). Although check the spokes like a hawk.

The bike feel alot smaller if you like that or not is up to you. 

• Like 1

Get the KTM, then send the forks out to Kreft and get the AER revalve control. Its pricey at around $1000, but nearly everyone says its the best AER setup out there.
Jetting, buy the JD Jet Kit, or a Keihin carb. I dont think money is a real issue here because you can get a new bike every year.

If money is no object and you desire something more 'exotic' than a YZ125, get yourself a TM 125

link: http://tmracingmotorcycles.com/mx-125/

-hand built (not a mass production assembly line)

-KYB front forks (AOS / 'SSS' as on the YZ) are standard or optional Marzocchi

Quite a list of options to suit any usage: 125, 144cc 5 or 6 speed etc.

Probably the closest thing to owning an exotic 'Factory Race Bike'.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Hang on guys, I didn't say money isn't a problem. Once you buy a new bike, you just have to find £1200 over the course of the year to buy the next one. Ok not everyone can do that but that doesn't mean I'm rich. 

I think my best bet is to get on a demo day later in the year to try a KTM out.

I do appreciate all your answers.

• Like 1

When you buy the new bike will you be selling the YZ? 

if you are keeping the YZ after you buy a new bike then definitely go for the KTM, if you don't like it then get YZ again next year.

• Like 1

see if you can find a way to get some seat time on the ktm.

I agree with mark, I've seen some Yamaha events where you can go there at the track and sign some waivers and forms and they let you ride the brand new 2018 bikes, maybe you could find a KTM event, id love to ride a ktm. I've heard great things

1 hour ago, Noah-TeamBlue said:

When you buy the new bike will you be selling the YZ? 

if you are keeping the YZ after you buy a new bike then definitely go for the KTM, if you don't like it then get YZ again next year.

Yeah, I'll be chopping the YZ in. There's a KTM demo in July that I wanna go to. But you're right, if I like the KTM, I'll go buy one if not I'll get another YZ.

Stick with the yz, parts are way cheaper and with the ktm youll be able to jump a little farther. Id spend the extra thousand+ you save with the yz on gas, tires, pistons to ride better.

I would keep the yz and have the suspension done up for you and a few other tailor mods, but test ride a 125sx before making the decision

The KTM has more power down low, not a lot more, but it makes it so you dont have to abuse the clutch as hard. The AER is damn good in stock form, just the hair off the kyb. People complain about the AER take zero time to learn what it needs. The chassis is lighter and the bike uses the front more than the yz.

17 hours ago, michaelchristie207 said:

pictures of the 18 yz125 please😂

Not sure what your emoji actually means but if you think I'm lying about having an 18 YZ125, here it is when I bought it 

IMG_1288.jpg

When you switched to that BUD/HGS pipe,

did you notice any change in the power characteristics versus the stock pipe?

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

When you switched to that BUD/HGS pipe,

did you notice any change in the power characteristics versus the stock pipe?

I had an 08 YZ125 before that had a PC front & I was running stock silencer because the PC304 shorty was so damn loud!! I didn't notice any difference between the shorty and the stock silencer but when I got this bike with the HGS/BUD set up, it seemed to have loads more bottom end. This & my old bike both had V Force 3 reed blocks.

I've just bought a VHM head with a standard insert, I won't try that until the weather over here gets warmer & drier. I'll be running Castrol A747.

• Like 2

Thanks for the infos,

your experiences with the PC seem very similar to what I've often read, it gains some mid-to-top at the expense of low end.

I'd be curious if a VHM head with a high compression insert would have compensated for it.

Myself run the stock pipe and head but with reduced squish band height (1.37mm to now 1.05mm)

it made my already very good running engine run even crisper.

If you have access to 98+ RON octane (94+ in north america) I suggest look into it.

Edited by mlatour