Dead '13 350RR

So last weekend I went riding and the bike ran fine for most of the ride. We ran through a stream crossing and the bike was still fine. Shortly after, the bike felt like I was running out of gas so I switched over to reserve but then it died. The bike started up again but as soon as I rolled on the throttle it would die. Then it was dead dead and I had to get towed out.

Back at the shop, I tore apart the carb to make sure it wasn't the carb, then moved onto electrical. The bike had really weak spark so I changed the coil. Still the bike wouldn't fire then it randomly fired up after cranking for a while for a few seconds. 

I checked the resistance on the stator and the position pickup and they check out fine.

I'm really stuck here. Its either the stator or the CDI, both of which are expensive to replace. Any tips on where to continue on?

• Like 1

Some say one of the few weaknesses of beta's are the electrical connectors lack of moisture protection and flimsy wires. Unplug every connection you can access and spray with contact cleaner. Good luck. Let us know how you fix it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kaptainkatsu said:

I'm really stuck here. Its either the stator or the CDI, both of which are expensive to replace. Any tips on where to continue on?

so every creek crossing youll be swapping out your cdi & stator ?

check your fuse

be.png.290d03af93b7d864e497f3726105b099.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jetwag03 said:

Some say one of the few weaknesses of beta's are the electrical connectors lack of moisture protection and flimsy wires. Unplug every connection you can access and spray with contact cleaner. Good luck. Let us know how you fix it.

This is worthless unless you back it up with dielectric grease. Without grease the next time you encounter water you will have an issue.

OP, remove, trim, dielectric grease and reinstall the spark plug cap. Then tape the cap to wire. Compression check??

• Like 2

Contact cleaner does a poor job of flushing out bonded dirt/mud and does nothing for oxidation of contacts.  That's a tedious manual operation unfortunately, and more of a hassle than prepping the connectors on a new clean bike.  For these open back connectors they use, pack the rear with RTV, hot melt glue, or that liquid electrical tape which works very well and dries immediately.  Then a light coat of grease on the contacts and tape up when assembled. 

• Like 1

This is worthless unless you back it up with dielectric grease. Without grease the next time you encounter water you will have an issue.

OP, remove, trim, dielectric grease and reinstall the spark plug cap. Then tape the cap to wire. Compression check??

Very true, I just got a new 430 rr-s and after reading this will seal all of the connections before I hit the trails.

I'll second checking/cleaning/greasing ALL electrical connectors and checking grounds. Fought a similar issue on a CRF250X after my wife decided to submerge it in a deep water crossing. Bike became difficult to start, but would run once started. went through carb, head rebuild with new guides and valves, replaced coil, all of which did nothing to improve starting issues. finally cleaned and lubed all electrical connectors and problem finally went away. 

in my experience CDI's generally don't "fail" but it's not impossible that it could have been damaged in a short by the drowning. If your plug cleaning and checking does not fix, I'd go to the CDI next. 

Use Detox It  #D5 to clean the electrical contacts. Pack with dielectric grease and if you really want to get exotic,use black electrical tape and wrap each one of the connections so water/moisture will not penetrate the wrapping. Have fun!