CRF230 shock shaft travel??

So I'm looking at grafting a CR80 shock onto a CRF230. Ny understanding is the CRF230 shock is 15 ¼ inch – eye to eye. Does anyone know the length of the shaft travel? 

I have to shorten the CR80 shock but I'm wondering if I'll run into issues with shaft travel... Thus need the CRF230 shaft travel length. 

Thanks!

Patrick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT564 said:

So I'm looking at grafting a CR80 shock onto a CRF230. Ny understanding is the CRF230 shock is 15 ¼ inch – eye to eye. Does anyone know the length of the shaft travel? 

I have to shorten the CR80 shock but I'm wondering if I'll run into issues with shaft travel... Thus need the CRF230 shaft travel length. 

Thanks!

Patrick

It's not much, something like 1.5" of travel but you need a total of 3" to accommodate a rubber bump stop.

There is a thread where a feller used a much shorter overall CBR600 streetbike rear shock and just extended the upper mount to take up the difference.

My Fox Podium shock only has 1.25" of shock shaft showing and a rubber bump stop that is just under 2" long.

5 minutes ago, MetricMuscle said:

It's not much, something like 1.5" of travel but you need a total of 3" to accommodate a rubber bump stop.

There is a thread where a feller used a much shorter overall CBR600 streetbike rear shock and just extended the upper mount to take up the difference.

My Fox Podium shock only has 1.25" of shock shaft showing and a rubber bump stop that is just under 2" long.

That's the info I need... did you take and accurate measurement? Thus those numbers are good? If so I have enough shaft travel to short'n it and still have over 3.5 in of shock travel left.

• Like 1

Yessir, I just measured my Fox shock.  I'm not sure how much bump stop is needed or at what point the suspension needs to ramp up the spring rate by contacting the bump stop.  You might could use your OE shock as a reference or install whatever shock you are gonna use without the spring installed and see where the bump stop needs to start contributing.  I'd think at least a few wheel travel inches before the rear wheel contacts the fender.  The density of the bump stop also changes things.

so if you shaft travel is 3.25 in of shock travel... the CR80 shock has ~ 4.3 inches. So I need to shorten the shaft a lot.

What is the eye to eye length of your fox or stock shock? I have 15 and 1/4 as the stock length. 

On my Xr250r shocks they have way more shaft travel then the 230. Has not been a problem. On the CR80 shock I read you shorten the bottom mount re drill and cut.