Radiator tabs broken

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had any easy solution to broken radiator tabs where your fairings connect and you put a bolt through. I've been zip tying them for sometime through my radiator guards but I'm getting ready for all new plastic wondering if there's a simple fix out there. IMG_1517537190.810308.jpg

Any way that You can post a picture of the actual broken tab ?

11 minutes ago, motorock said:

Any way that You can post a picture of the actual broken tab ?

exactly what i was thinking  :lol:  :facepalm:

Can when i get home. Meant to post that pic of my bike for attention in the feed not inside the post as a "reference pic" Haven't been on here in a while.

You can weld them. The rads are usually a low grade aluminum but it you watch the heat and do short passes you won't mess up the braze on the fins.

You can weld them. The rads are usually a low grade aluminum but it you watch the heat and do short passes you won't mess up the braze on the fins.

Sadly they're gone

IMG_1517541535.343268.jpg IMG_1517541544.979027.jpg

1 hour ago, Missouri Railroader said:

Sadly they're gone

Id have some tabs fabricated (made a little beefier/more surface area) and have them welded on as spud suggested. 

I have an old bike, 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR. Anyway, my tabs on the stock radiators have been gone for a while. I use two giant zip ties. I run one through the shroud hole, across the front of the radiator, through the other shroud hole, and then I use the other zip tie on the other side to tighten it down. Might need washers to keep the zip tie ends from wearing through the plastic of the shrouds. Been running this for years. I'll get pics tomorrow sometime if you care to see it.

I have an old bike, 1989 Yamaha YZ250WR. Anyway, my tabs on the stock radiators have been gone for a while. I use two giant zip ties. I run one through the shroud hole, across the front of the radiator, through the other shroud hole, and then I use the other zip tie on the other side to tighten it down. Might need washers to keep the zip tie ends from wearing through the plastic of the shrouds. Been running this for years. I'll get pics tomorrow sometime if you care to see it.

That's what I've been doing but I'm getting all new plastics I just want a nice clean look call it OCD I guess lol

IMG_20180110_1426521.jpg

Turns out I got a pic. If you zoom in on the bottom of the radiator you can see what I do. Cheap, but very effective. If I don't run that zip tie then my radiator shrouds fly open flop all over at high speed.

That's what I've been doing but I'm getting all new plastics I just want a nice clean look call it OCD I guess lol

Didn't see this till after I posted. I totally get it. If I wasn't running the zip ties than I'd go to a local radiator shop and see what they can do. Maybe just get new radiators and call it good.

I'll be very curious to hear from somebody who has actually welded them. I tried welding them on my Yamaha with TIG and could not get it to work at all.

Use the same rubber bands that hold the kickstand or large orings to connect the new shrouds to the rad brace.  You can also run a small tab to attach them to on the inner bolts that hold the radiators to the frame, rubber will stretch when you smack something and not break like the stock setup.

my shrouds ripped off those bolts (hole in shroud, not bolts/tabs ripped off radiators) long ago, makes tank removal a lot easier and I don't notice any ill effects, when I get new plastics I will probably just skip those bolts. 

I would make a small L bracket that you can mount to the BPD rad guard.  Drill and tap the side of the radiator guard, bolt on the L bracket, bolt on the shroud.  No welding needed.

You could even use the existing lower mounting bolt for the BPD guard with a little clever trimming/desiging of the bracket.

Edited by eastreich

It appears in the picture that there is room to pop rivet a short piece of aluminum bar stock to the stub that remains. then drill a hole for Your bolt.

I keep 1/16 thick in different widths around just for this type of repair. 

3 hours ago, eastreich said:

I would make a small L bracket that you can mount to the BPD rad guard.  Drill and tap the side of the radiator guard, bolt on the L bracket, bolt on the shroud.  No welding needed.

You could even use the existing lower mounting bolt for the BPD guard with a little clever trimming/desiging of the bracket.

+1 I would make a small L bracket that you can mount to the BPD rad guard.      That is what I would do

GPR radiators from china, well made, oversize, cheap. Got two sets on honda cr250 and crf450, better than originals.

The Enduro Engineering guards have a long rubber strap that goes in the hole on the shroud and over the rad, they can be bought without the guards. Check EE web site and look at the instructions to see how the strap works.