Has anyone installed an ECU from a FX450 on a FE501/450?

Has anyone tried this yet? Install an ECU from a 2017+FX450 onto a 2017+FE501/450, if so let us know how it worked out.

Starting in I think 2016, you were unable to do this and get the bike to estart or change maps. They were designed not to interchange.

Krannie, do you know this for a fact? Because, I know that there are a few shops that installed the Euro- KTM Six-Days map from the 450 to the 500EXC and it works great!

16 hours ago, crazybrother said:

Krannie, do you know this for a fact? Because, I know that there are a few shops that installed the Euro- KTM Six-Days map from the 450 to the 500EXC and it works great!

Yes, you can  mix and match any map to your ECU, but you cannot phyically swap the ECU's as the FX is a different ECU. Won't even plug in, I don't think. I know that previous years they were differnt on purpose.

If you go to any dealer and complain loudly that your bike overheats, stalls, flames out, and that you want them to fix it under warranty, and that you heard about a 'service' map that could do this. Tell them you will sign something that agrees with the bike only being used off road. 

Or, you can find someone in the Cafehusky.com forum that owns a D-UST tool that will allow you to un-lock and re-map your self.

Edited by THE KRAN

Yes, you can  mix and match any map to your ECU, but you cannot phyically swap the ECU's as the FX is a different ECU. Won't even plug in, I don't think. I know that previous years they were differnt on purpose.
If you go to any dealer and complain loudly that your bike overheats, stalls, flames out, and that you want them to fix it under warranty, and that you heard about a 'service' map that could do this. Tell them you will sign something that agrees with the bike only being used off road. 
Or, you can find someone in the Cafehusky.com forum that owns a D-UST tool that will allow you to un-lock and re-map your self.

Is the D-UST tool available for KTMs?

59 minutes ago, jaronson199 said:

Is the D-UST tool available for KTMs?

Dealer User Service Tool.

It will unlock the ecu.   Some custom tuner companies own them and every dealer has one.

You can buy a regular UST, but it will not unlock the ECU, just load and change maps.

I asked because of the Mapping for the FX450 is much better and if it works then that would be an option for the folks that cannot get their ECU's flashed with the Euro Map. And  the ECU's are the exact same on both bikes... I am going to try this within the next week, as I have a friend that has a FX450. Was just wondering if anyone else had already done it...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, crazybrother said:

I asked because of the Mapping for the FX450 is much better and if it works then that would be an option for the folks that cannot get their ECU's flashed with the Euro Map. And  the ECU's are the exact same on both bikes... I am going to try this within the next week, as I have a friend that has a FX450. Was just wondering if anyone else had already done it...

Hum much better and the best as in the Vortex might be a big stretch! Go Vortex and be done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazybrother said:

I think the fueling will be off, different cams. But physically, same ecu by parts fische, atleast on the 17 sxf and exc, husky Id expect the same.

Course ecu's come blank and have to be loaded, I assume your going to try an already programmed ecu  , fan wont work.

Edited by Spud786

That's my point, I know the ECU's come blank... That way a Map from the FX/FC/FS 450 could be loaded and modified by an aftermarket co... There are plenty that can modify the unlocked ECU's.

1 hour ago, crazybrother said:

That's my point, I know the ECU's come blank... That way a Map from the FX/FC/FS 450 could be loaded and modified by an aftermarket co... There are plenty that can modify the unlocked ECU's.

Understood, but the time you buy it(new) and map it, talking near $500 , then entering Vortex territory, and that one is field tunable, runs the fan and ready to go.

or maybe get a fx ecu and tune it with a jd tuner.

the vortex though seems easiest route.

I do have to say, once you are able to field tune, its hard going to a fixed map, or one that requires a mapping artist, that gets it perfect. For the most part, some just add fuel where they think its needed, like a broad brush.

Edited by Spud786

Guy's, you are missing my point... You don't need to buy a new ECU (It's already on the bike) Just have it remapped to the FX/FC/FS 450 map (unlocked) All of these bikes are locked based on the VIN # then tuned to run on the Fe 501... I'll let you all know if it works...:ride:

• Like 1

The answer is YES! It does work. So now the question is if the Dealers/Aftermarket shops will upload the FX450 mapping onto the FE501 ECU?

First, you will need the Key Switch bypass plug from Sicass Racing.

Replace the white plug with the black looped wires under the seat.

Unplug the Key Switch behind the headlight.

And if you can get your ECU reprogrammed to the FX450 mapping then it will run. I didn't do any adjustments to the Mapping or TPS or reset the ECU by letting it idle without touching the throttle. This was just a test to see if it could work and it did. I'm sure it would need some tuning and adjusting. Hope this helps someone that doesn't have the cash to by the Vortex but still wants their bike to run.

The last pic is of both ECU's together.

20180219_161356.jpg

20180219_161234.jpg

20180219_162547.jpg

20180219_162554.jpg

20180219_162559.jpg

20180219_164931.jpg

20180219_165151 (2).jpg

Thanks for that crazybrother! Always great to know what options we have out there. I sent my ecu in to a certain racing team to have it remapped to EU. I havnt been able to ride it yet though as Im in Canada in the dead of winter.

Thanks again mate!

• Like 1

You have to find someone to map the FXecu, no way its mapped correctly with different cams and exhaust, what about the lack of operating FAN firmware?

Is the Vortex really that much more

I should also have said , it is an interesting test, just to see how it would work, but my thing, there's still missing pieces to puzzle, that aren't getting answers.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

I’m looking into a new 500/501 and am assured it will “run its best” when delivered.

If the fan doesn’t work what a waste of time.

You know my guys and they don’t like the Vortex. They’ll get it running great upon delivery.