Dirt bike cover for rain

I have to store my dirt bike outside year round.  I have a large blue tarp.   Should I get a cover made for a motorbike?

Just now, woods-rider said:

Can’t build a small shed for it?

It needs to be portable if I move.

They sell shed kits that go together like an erector set. They have them in parking lots of Home Depot’s and what not. Look into getting one of those. You will be able to keep your bike out of the weather and even lock it up.

If you don't feel like buying a MC cover, a place like HomeDepot might have the large HD plastic covers used for covering pallets of cement or whatever that they just throw away. Also, when you buy a new mattress, the plastic cover is pretty tough and is the right size for a bike

The problem with bike covers and tarps for storage is while the shed the rain, they also do not provide air circulation and trap humidity inside. A tarp/cover is fine for an overnight. It is lousy for days on end storage.

Harbor Fright s has some decent quality 'huts' that are pretty cheap. If you leave one of the paneal off (front one) there is plenty of air circulation. I have a larger one I store a small tractor in. $160 and you can use a 20% coupon to drop the price another $32image_27455.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, William1 said:

The problem with bike covers and tarps for storage is while the shed the rain, they also do not provide air circulation and trap humidity inside. A tarp/cover is fine for an overnight. It is lousy for days on end storage.

Harbor Fright s has some decent quality 'huts' that are pretty cheap. If you leave one of the paneal off (front one) there is plenty of air circulation. I have a larger one I store a small tractor in. $160 and you can use a 20% coupon to drop the price another $32image_27455.jpg

How well do those stand up to elements? Do they have anchor points so it can be staked down and not blow away? Been thinking of getting one as well for winter storage of some items. Just have not personally seen one set up or know of anyone that has one.

9 hours ago, wazzabie said:

I have a large blue tarp.

The tarp doesn't breath and will trap moisture, a proper, quality all season bike cover that will hold up for a few years will run you $150+

I'm in the same boat and have to store my bikes outside. At first I tried the cheaper bike covers and quickly learned that like most things in life you get what you pay for. The cheap ones don't hold up, after a few wind and rain storms they were in rough shape. The quality heavy duty winter ones last and breath well.

I have very limited space to store my bikes, if I had just a little more room I'd go with something like this:

standard_main2.jpg.aeac10809eac2ddd18beaeb0e1b98516.jpg

1 hour ago, morphrider said:

How well do those stand up to elements? Do they have anchor points so it can be staked down and not blow away? Been thinking of getting one as well for winter storage of some items. Just have not personally seen one set up or know of anyone that has one.

Yes, they have 'screw in stakes'. I have had a HF one for three years. I figure the fabric will last another two before it is shot. Satisfactory for a cheapo structure. you can buy better quality ones with much better materials but at a higher price. I have mine in-between trees and with my luck, a tree branch will fall and destroy it. I'd rather have a cheap one damaged than an expensive one. Also take a look at the 'Cover-It' web site and 'ShelterLogic'. Years ago, I had a real nice one from Cover-It. I put lighting in it and an outlet for a battery tender. After six years, it was still in great shape so I sold it to my neighbor.

One thing I do suggest doing is lay down a poly sheet and then lay plywood on top of that as it will greatly reduce the humidity/moisture inside.

• Like 2

What is wrong with getting them out of the weather by letting them watch all the bad weather through the LIVINGROOM WINDOW?

Don't leave your best friend out in the cold and wet.

• Like 4

I bought something years ago called a CAR CAPSULE that I stored a small sports car in for about 10 years. It kept the car in great shape and kept out all moisture, as well as insects/rodents. It had small fans that you had to plug into an electrical outlet to continually circulate the air and inflate the capsule.

I think you may be able to find smaller ones for motorcycles.

The CAPSULE I owned was designed for outdoors. Not quite sure what's out there now but...

bbo9f_6.jpg

...just saw this link with something along the lines for sale --> https://www.ebay.com/i/292359094352?chn=ps

They are a bit pricey, but maybe it's something that might work for your needs.

8 hours ago, irme42day said:

What is wrong with getting them out of the weather by letting them watch all the bad weather through the LIVINGROOM WINDOW?

Don't leave your best friend out in the cold and wet.

Ha! 35 years ago I lived in a mobile home park where whatever you left outside would get stolen. I used to ride my CR250 up the steps and park it where my washer/dryer was supposed to go if I owned one...

Ya gotta have priorities...

Edited by sbest
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sbest said:

Ha! 35 years ago I lived in a mobile home park where whatever you left outside would get stolen. I used to ride my CR250 up the steps and where my washer/dryer was supposed to go if I owned one...

Ya gotta have priorities...

I have, in the past, brought bikes in the house to work on them. Here in Az I can park them under the carport in the shade with locks on the disk brake and rear sprocket and a locking cable, I hate METH HEADS!

I saw someone use a cheap tent to cover their bike.  They just cut an X in the floor and lifted the tent right off their bike.  Ingenious!  Who is going to come up and mess with a tent?  :) 

• Like 1