Selling 450x to upgrade to 450RX

have any of you fellers that love their 450x upgraded to an RX or even ridden one back to back with your X? really getting a hankerin for a New 450. I have a 2016 Africa Twin and a 2017 CRF 250L but the 08 450x looks a little dated standing next to them IMG_6233.jpgIMG_4753.jpgIMG_5390.jpg

The 450RX is the ultimate bike...it rips, has unbelievably good suspension, feels 50lbs lighter than it is, and when remapped, runs cool as a cucumber.  

The 450RX is the ultimate bike...it rips, has unbelievably good suspension, feels 50lbs lighter than it is, and when remapped, runs cool as a cucumber.  

How does the RX perform on single track riding/woods? Thought the RX was more of a desert riding bike.

I would also seriously consider the rx if it wasn’t for the close ratio tranny. I wonder if anyone has put a lighting kit on one and plated it? I ride a lot of national forest so I have my X plated. I’m in the same boat about having the itch for a new 450.

• Like 1

I would also seriously consider the rx if it wasn’t for the close ratio tranny. I wonder if anyone has put a lighting kit on one and plated it? I ride a lot of national forest so I have my X plated. I’m in the same boat about having the itch for a new 450.

IMG_1381.thumb.jpg.f56d9dd99b2098158cfc03ba3d45ae2d.jpg

It would appear that plating is doable. IMG_1382.jpg

And the LED lighting as well. I don’t know how well the stator is compared to the X but has to be better on the RX

11 hours ago, Nusk450x said:

have any of you fellers that love their 450x upgraded to an RX or even ridden one back to back with your X? really getting a hankerin for a New 450. I have a 2016 Africa Twin and a 2017 CRF 250L but the 08 450x looks a little dated standing next to them IMG_6233.jpgIMG_4753.jpgIMG_5390.jpg

Having owned a 450X and plenty of CRF450R's even the new RX does not have the right gearing for true single track. If you are going to race harescrambles, and sprint enduros you are fine. 
If you are looking to plod along slowly through technical terrian, the RX is not for you.
I recently swapped to a 300 two stroke designed for that gnar gnar, and it is basically cheating compared to my previous bikes.

2018 Beta 300RR. Plateable, has lights, can be upgraded to LED easily. Great torque and power, but can be mild as a lamb. Great handling and feeling balanced.
Only downsize is the stock sachs forks have much to be desired. One trip to the tuner will sort you.

Edited by NEGbrap
  • Like 1

hey Doc i love the look of the RX and reviews have definetly been favourable. the short ratio trans really makes me nervous about forking out my hard earned. already id have to invest in lighting (head tail and brake) to get a recreation plate (victoria aust to allow me access to everything but townships and highways.)

spending the extra only to be dissapointed in the trans makes me a little nervous. I spend much or my time riding fast rutted whooped deep sandy firetrails but also some 2-3rd gear single track and occasionally some sections of 1st gear single track (on a 450x with 13/48) am i going to miss low 1st gear? should i keep the X for this and still buy the RX for desert work?

12 minutes ago, Nusk450x said:

spending the extra only to be dissapointed in the trans makes me a little nervous. I spend much or my time riding fast rutted whooped deep sandy firetrails but also some 2-3rd gear single track and occasionally some sections of 1st gear single track (on a 450x with 13/48) am i going to miss low 1st gear? should i keep the X for this and still buy the RX for desert work?

No, you should buy ONE bike with a wide ratio transmission. Neither the x or the RX have a true wide ratio transmission. European Enduro bikes with a 5 or 6-speed wide ratio transmission is what you should be looking at or else a yz450fx or wr450f. 

I had a 450X and in 5th gear with stock gearing it would top out around 60 miles an hour before the revs were too high for me to ride it comfortably. Yes, you can regear it so that it has taller gearing but then the first gear suffers for tight trail riding. Hence the purpose of a true wide ratio transmission.

No, you should buy ONE bike with a wide ratio transmission. Neither the x or the RX have a true wide ratio transmission. European Enduro bikes with a 5 or 6-speed wide ratio transmission is what you should be looking at or else a yz450fx or wr450f. 
I had a 450X and in 5th gear with stock gearing it would top out around 60 miles an hour before the revs were too high for me to ride it comfortably. Yes, you can regear it so that it has taller gearing but then the first gear suffers for tight trail riding. Hence the purpose of a true wide ratio transmission.

at 60mph you were uncomfortable beyond that for extended periods? my 08 x when i had 14-48 would do 90+ mph and does 80+ with 13/48 I really like the 450x ratios they work very well in my area as i dont dual sport the bike.

17 minutes ago, Nusk450x said:

at 60mph you were uncomfortable beyond that for extended periods? my 08 x when i had 14-48 would do 90+ mph and does 80+ with 13/48 I really like the 450x ratios they work very well in my area as i dont dual sport the bike.

My bad it was 13-50 or 51. Still at 60 mph I wanted it to be an overdrive not 7000 rpm. of course I could burst it faster but watched time again the 500exc just walking away from me due to its w.r. transmission. 

The trans on the RX is not as wide as the X, but it is wider than the previous R transmissions. They are running them in GNCC series back east with great success. 

Is it the perfect bike for 100% single track? Probably not...but a little flywheel weight and different sprockets and it could be great. It is really designed to be a do all bike...Eastern woods, West Coast GPs, Desert, MX track, etc.

The bike is exceptional...  

• Like 2

interesting thread and i can relate to the transmission situation. im running 14/50 on my X and keep it at 60 and still enjoy some trails without swapping sprockets. i do have a 13 to put on if its a day of tighter trails...but still this bike wants to rev and haul balls lol...maybe the R cam and JE piston will mellow the lowend out. this is my first ‘modern’ 4t as ive had several xr’s and dr’s. i do miss the lazy power but im enjoying and still learning the ways of the X

The trans on the RX is not as wide as the X, but it is wider than the previous R transmissions. They are running them in GNCC series back east with great success. 

Is it the perfect bike for 100% single track? Probably not...but a little flywheel weight and different sprockets and it could be great. It is really designed to be a do all bike...Eastern woods, West Coast GPs, Desert, MX track, etc.

The bike is exceptional...  

Doc do you think for 70% open desert and 20% faster single track (2-3rd gear) 10% slow single track it would be a good bet?

PS i dont do any gnarly technical rocky single track

• Like 1

Does the rx have the same exhaust as the R? Just wondering if it’s really loud. Based on what I’m hearing it sounds like the rx can do a little bit of everything. I would be concerned about the decibel level where I rode though.

Beta 300RR. It's red, sexy, gorgeous, and drop dead fun to ride. Honda doesn't make a decent trail bike anymore. The 450RX is a desert cross country racing bike with a tall first gear and an excellent aptitude at over heating when riding below 15 mph.

sorry shrubitup... Im a honda guy had an xr80 as my first bike and have a fantastic honda dealer 70mi away (nearest bike dealer (and decent sized town for that matter)) otherwise possibly be double that for Beta,KTM, Husky etc.

1 hour ago, Nusk450x said:

sorry shrubitup... Im a honda guy had an xr80 as my first bike and have a fantastic honda dealer 70mi away (nearest bike dealer (and decent sized town for that matter)) otherwise possibly be double that for Beta,KTM, Husky etc.

I understand. First bike for me was a '77 XR75. I have a Honda Accord and Civic in the driveway and their lawn mower too. Their give-a-shit factor for trail bikes just went away unfortunately. New Beta 250RR is $7,999 in the US anyway. If you have desert and wide open spaces and ride very little technical then the RX would be a great bike!

• Like 1