Extra fuel out on the trails

I run an external gas can on my DR650, but I really think a larger tank would be your best bet for the drz400. Is there a reason you don’t want to go with a bigger tank?

64466EBC-FDA5-4C4A-A1F0-3F1D7B6A36E8.jpeg

I'm not opposed to it I just don't want to spend that kind of money and the install factor. I was just hoping some other riders could share their alternative quick and nifty fuel storage solutions

I have two metal 1 liter bottles that you can buy in the lawnmower section of Lowes/Home Depot that come with premix in them. I used the fuel in them for chainsaw and kept the fuel bottle for putting in my camelback. Most of the time everyone is needing fuel by this time so it works out well. I just put the bottle in a huge zip lock bag and carry in pack or I used to carry them in Wolfman bag. Never had them leak, break or any problems.

• Like 1

Use an empty plastic oil container, zip-lock bag in your backpack or be brave and bungee it to your helmet!

• Like 2

I use this:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/touratech-2-liter-spare-fuel-canister/

Meant for fuel, seals, won't leak, pretty much indestructible in a crash.  I can fit easily in my Klim backpack for trail riding.  If I am racing, it fits (barely), in an Ogio fanny pack that I have.  If I am doing a long dual sport ride, it easily slides into one of the side pockets of my Giant Loop Mojavi bag.

• Like 3

I use a 1 litre fuel bottle that is intended for camping stoves and such. Light (no so much when full though), and never leak. Just toss 'em in a backpack or saddlebags for long rides when I want an extra measure of security.  Only ever used them for my kid's KX125 since he has a small tank. I have an oversized tank on my YZ and have never run out of fuel.

You can easily find them at good outdoor outfitters like REI and MEC.

bottle.jpg

• Like 1

Acerbis handlebar tank: https://www.motosport.com/acerbis-auxiliary-handlebar-fuel-tank

I didn't what to invest in a bike specific larger tank on my CRF250X,

strong point of this design as it switches over easily to any bike.

Some may say it raises the center of gravity, yes it's effect is noticeable (less so at trail speeds)

but since the fuel gets drawn from it first, the bike returns to it's normal feel quite quickly.

Empty weight is insignificant, I often leave it mounted but empty for shorter rides.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, simpleshag said:

What do you guys do out on the trails to carry extra fuel with you without swapping for a larger fuel tank?

I see you have both a 2T and 4T so slightly different needs.

Otherwise the first thing you need to figure out how far you can go on a full tank of fuel before running out of gas, then have a means of measuring how far you ride like a GPS or odometer.

Once you figure this out, you can then figure out do you actually need to carry extra fuel and if so now much.

So if its say and extra 1 or 2 Litres, IMO gator aid bottles, oil bottles etc in heavy duty zip locks in your pack. If your getting into more, then you need to look at other options

I know I can safely ride 140 KM's (and KM per Litre) on a full tank of gas on my crf250r so plan longer rides accordingly.

20 hours ago, eastreich said:

Mojavi 

MOJAVI????? What the hell is a MOJAVI???? Some sort of a critter?????? 

• Like 1

I see you have both a 2T and 4T so slightly different needs.
Otherwise the first thing you need to figure out how far you can go on a full tank of fuel before running out of gas, then have a means of measuring how far you ride like a GPS or odometer.
Once you figure this out, you can then figure out do you actually need to carry extra fuel and if so now much.
So if its say and extra 1 or 2 Litres, IMO gator aid bottles, oil bottles etc in heavy duty zip locks in your pack. If your getting into more, then you need to look at other options
I know I can safely ride 140 KM's (and KM per Litre) on a full tank of gas on my crf250r so plan longer rides accordingly.

I know this is a stupid question, what do you mean by "I have both a 2T and 4T." not sure what that means, this is my first Kawi mx bike.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, irme42day said:

Coffee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irme42day said:

Giant Loop Mojavi saddle bag.

IMG-20140625-00028.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Giant Loop Mojavi saddle bag.

IMG-20140625-00028.jpg

Now I live in the moHave county AZ, I just was wander'n what a moJavi was. 

3 hours ago, simpleshag said:

I know this is a stupid question, what do you mean by "I have both a 2T and 4T." not sure what that means, this is my first Kawi mx bike.

Sorry I though I saw you had a  YZ125 (2T) and a CRF250X (4T) bike in your profile signature and I now realize that was @mlatour

Anyway if you have a 2T bike (other than a newer oil injected bike) you need to also deal with pre-mixed gas (oil) otherwise a 4T bike just non-pre-mixed gas.

Out of interest, what is the year/make/model of your bike AND have you run into an issue with running out of gas?

Sorry I though I saw you had a  YZ125 (2T) and a CRF250X (4T) bike in your profile signature and I now realize that was [mention=344147]mlatour[/mention]
Anyway if you have a 2T bike (other than a newer oil injected bike) you need to also deal with pre-mixed gas (oil) otherwise a 4T bike just non-pre-mixed gas.
Out of interest, what is the year/make/model of your bike AND have you run into an issue with running out of gas?

2015 Kawasaki KX450F. Haven't been able to take it out on the trails yet, I live in idaho and we have 8 months of winter. Just bought the bike on January 8th. I just figured 1.6 gallons wouldn't get me very far.
  • Like 1

How far do you want to go?  IMO, 1.6 is way too small for any extended or exploration rides on a 450.  I would have to carry at least an extra gallon to be comfortable, and that's not comfortable to carry on my back.  Either figure out how far you can go and maybe carry a quart for emergency, or just get a bigger tank.

EDIT: deleted, double post / same subject

Edited by mlatour