Changing fork springs

I got a 2018yz 250 I just ordered stiffer fork springs and rear shock spring. I’ll have no problem changing the rear spring but have never done fork springs I’m also mechanically inclined as I was a farm Equiptment mechanic for years and a farmer who fixes his own stuff i was just wondering if there is any special procedures I have to do or maybe any special tools I would need to do this. I haven’t looked in my book just yet but I plan on using it when I dissassemle them any advice would be greatly appreciated

You tube videos are so much easier to watch than to try to explain it in words , all twin chamber forks are basically the same to take apart

IMO the best how-to videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vrafDhaHbKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjUpxEMrT0

These show a full service (replacing seals and bushings) so you'll only require a partial dis-assembly for a spring change.

Tools required: outer cap wrench, inner cap wrench, H tool, metric sockets and wrenches, 1 quart of fork oil and a graduated cylinder, vise soft jaws.

I'll add another tip that's not mentioned, 

slide the front axle into the axle lug and use it as handle when compressing the forks to insert or remove the H tool.

May I ask what is your weight and what spring rates are you switching to?

From your other forum posts you intend to ride your YZ250 (MX version) in tight woods and trails,

meaning it should already be sprung too stiff for that usage.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

IMO the best how-to videos on YouTube:

These show a full service (replacing seals and bushings) so you'll only require a partial dis-assembly for a spring change.
Tools required: outer cap wrench, inner cap wrench, H tool, metric sockets and wrenches, 1 quart of fork oil and a graduated cylinder, vise soft jaws.

I'll add another tip that's not mentioned, 
slide the front axle into the axle lug and use it as handle when compressing the forks to insert or remove the H tool.

May I ask what is your weight and what spring rates are you switching to?
From your other forum posts you intend to ride this YZ250 in tight woods and trails,
meaning it should already be sprung too stiff for that usage.

Thanks man