2012 ktm 300xc plastics upgrade/mask

Good morning,

Long time lurker on the site. finally made an account.  I am new to owning a ktm, just picked a 2012 300xc that im pumped about.  Im trying to nail down what is needed to put 2014 or newer plastics on the bike. Im tracking on the front fender mod and that shrouds should bolt but not sure about air box.  I have found bits and pieces on TT but nothing solid.  I also plan on putting a 14 or new xc-w mask and light on ,  rumor is that the wiring harness is the same and it will plug in . Can any one shine some light on this?

mainly concerned about the plastics swap. , I can do electrical if need be.

Thanks in advance .

Yes you can get the front fender adapter from flatland racing, I have also updated my 12. I  used 15 plastic as I think it looks best, you will also need the air box covers to match shrouds. I actually did 16 front fender and number plate for what it’s worth.

I swapped out the fender and headlight on my '12. You can use the fender adapter or do the ghetto method like I did and drill a couple holes in the new fender if you don't want to pay for the fender adapter. I haven't had any issues (it's been about 6 months). The headlight and mask bolt right up (after you swap in the new fender) and use the same plug. The new style number plate also bolts up and uses the factory 12' bolt location.

IMG_20170825_200814.jpg

• Like 1

Yes turd has a good idea... I thought about it a little more if you’re going to use a headlight the flatland racing  bracket may not be a good idea, it moves the fender down and forward causing the headlight not to line up properly .

• Like 1

The airbox is the same as is the rear fender.  You just need the side panels and radiator shrouds from a 13-15(they changed in 15 but they still bolt up).  There are other companies that make a fender adapter.  Cycra makes one that is $60.  The 2013 fender has 2 bolts in the front and 2 under.  The adapter actually pushes the fender forward a little and so your number plate(or headlight) will end up being angled a bit.  My 2012 250 xc has the adapter and 15 plastics on it.  Right now i am debating putting my nice 2012 set on or getting new 2015 stuff.  I just picked this bike up and it had the updated plastics on it(super rough).

I could be wrong but best i can tell the 13 and 15 plastic shape is the same.  Just the black/orange vs white/orange right?  

Thanks for all the info, Those are great pics and really show what your sayin.  I think I have all the needed info for putting 2015 plastics on my 12, probably gonna go the TURD FERG route lol.   Ill let you guys know how it goes.   

now I wonder if even new plastics can be put on ? 

Thanks guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, project101 said:

Thanks for all the info, Those are great pics and really show what your sayin.  I think I have all the needed info for putting 2015 plastics on my 12, probably gonna go the TURD FERG route lol.   Ill let you guys know how it goes.   

Thanks guys

Good call. Here's a pic of the underside of my fender if you want to see what I did. I forgot that I ended up drilling 4 holes. If I would have used the two existing holes it would have pushed the fender forward too far.

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 12.11.12 PM.png

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, project101 said:

Thanks guys

The new body style has removable number plates now unlike ours and the previous gen which has them built into the airbox.  I don't know but i am going to guess its not a simple swap.  If the new airbox fit in the old subframe maybe, but honestly best shot is probably a new subframe if it bolts up or is close to fitting the old frame.  Tanks bolt locations look the same but thats just from images, not having 2 sitting side by side.  I do however like the newer front fender better..... maybe ill order one of those and see.

after googling around it seems you would need subframe new airbox/boot and all new plastics and tank and possible seat.   If I find a plastics set on CL for cheap I might give it a try but I will probably stick with 2015 stuff

Thanks guys

On 2/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, E-TECH said:

Yes you can get the front fender adapter from flatland racing, I have also updated my 12. I  used 15 plastic as I think it looks best, you will also need the air box covers to match shrouds. I actually did 16 front fender and number plate for what it’s worth.

You need air box ( COVERS ) to match 13 16 XCW shrouds, air box and subframe,rear fender are the SAME.

Posted (edited)

Wrong thread

BB1873B8-CD36-4991-AF6C-822FEF8F1889.jpeg

63EAED9D-18DB-4D3F-96C9-44F85C39FCE6.jpeg

F637376D-B949-4AC3-B845-1256D8B90E20.jpeg

6F7C6DBE-DB42-467E-A535-AF12ED763A91.jpeg

4456F962-B8FF-48E3-89B3-83D258A58BA3.jpeg

Edited by project101
Wrong thread

On 2/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, E-TECH said:

You need air box ( COVERS ) to match 13 16 XCW shrouds, air box and subframe,rear fender are the SAME.

Ok so I finally got a head light mask and front fender and shrouds. It all fits and plugs right in, I also had to buy a ktm push pull light switch. So far so good . This eve Im going for the rear fender light kit.

if I had to do it again I would have move the front fender to the rear 3/16” more . I will next time .

oh and my first hole I drilled a bit fast and it was way off lol 

TURD FERG , thanks for the idea 

D4EE4A1B-429F-4F1C-A378-FFAB14DF5E35.jpeg

3029728D-A7DF-421C-B2EA-1DAE205CB20F.jpeg

7A3031F7-60CB-4D6E-8CAF-3E78E724162E.jpeg

BC1DD7C4-C72A-4626-A5AD-47C2EDAC526F.jpeg

FB5BACB2-FBC4-40BB-BA63-F185245A4DAA.jpeg

• Like 1

I meant to say 14-16 xcw not 13... 13 is like 12. Sorry.