Bike stand for aluminum framed 125?

I'm going to finally buy myself a bike stand this season but am concerned about the aluminum framed YZ125 and the way the bottom doesnt seem to be flat like i see in other bikes. Every time I prop the bike up on a bucket or whatever the front is always super low and wheel is touching the ground because the bike rotates forward on the lower front of the frame.

I'd also like a stand that has a level I can push with my foot to prop it up..

Any ideas?

Edited by YZ144FirstTimer
  • Like 1

I'm going to finally buy myself a bike stand this season but am concerned about the aluminum framed YZ125 and the way the bottom doesnt seem to be flat like i see in other bikes. Every time I prop the bike up on a bucket or whatever the front is always super low and wheel is touching the ground because the bike rotates forward on the slop of the frame.
Any ideas?

Wife just got me his for x-mas. Seriously the best stand I’ve ever had .. adjustable up to 3.5 feet and sits low enough to roll under all my bikes (not counting the 150f) .. works great for storage and even better for working on the bikes... has quality castors as well so it rolls super smooth and is surprisingly stable.. made by Pitt posse ... she paid like $160 for it on eBay I think IMG_0875.jpgIMG_0874.jpg
  • Like 2

It's not perfect (and I don't think it'll work with a lever type stand, not sure), but what I did was I got Works Connection's stand wedge.  You bolt it to the top front edge of the stand so that the bike can sit more level.  You have to get the bike perfectly set on the stand to get the front wheel off the ground, and it's sort of a pain in the butt to position it correctly.  Thankfully the bike is light.  I got mine from Rocky Mtn.

ScreenClip [1].png

ScreenClip [2].png

• Like 2

Just get a stand and deal with it will be much more stable then a bucket. When I need to prop it up I just use some pieces of wood. I have a regular stand and lift stand like shown they both will drop the front end due to the frame shape. 

ok.. i dont know why i never thought about just modifying a stand so it doesnt rotate forward. The reason I want the front of the ground is because I like to open the air screw hole on my forks to release pressure and also I like the idea of being able to adjust fork height without a struggle.

Thanks for suggestions!

• Like 1

cant you just scoot the bike a few inches backards and get the tire off the ground? i can get my 250 to have both wheels off the ground and be stable.

Just now, gabe_k said:

cant you just scoot the bike a few inches backards and get the tire off the ground? i can get my 250 to have both wheels off the ground and be stable.

Nope, the bottom of the YZ125 frame slopes up towards the front, unlike the YZ250.  My 250 easily sits on the stand with both wheels off the ground, not the case with the 125 unless you modify the stand.

7 minutes ago, Tankslap said:

Nope, the bottom of the YZ125 frame slopes up towards the front, unlike the YZ250.  My 250 easily sits on the stand with both wheels off the ground, not the case with the 125 unless you modify the stand.

thats lame. should have bought a ktm then lol

I have aluminum framed YZ125 and YZ250's which I use the Works Connection stand wedge for.  I installed it on my lift stand so that it keeps the YZ125 level and doesn't interfere with the bottom of the YZ250.

--

Rex

5 hours ago, Cspencemx said:

Wife just got me his for x-mas. Seriously the best stand I’ve ever had .. adjustable up to 3.5 feet and sits low enough to roll under all my bikes (not counting the 150f) .. works great for storage and even better for working on the bikes... has quality castors as well so it rolls super smooth and is surprisingly stable.. made by Pitt posse ... she paid like $160 for it on eBay I think IMG_0875.jpgIMG_0874.jpg

The tie downs clamp down on the pegs and really help with holding the bike’s nose higher, depending on how you mount the bike on the top. These are nice stands, and come with a safety bolt. Just be aware they won’t lift over 300# unless you ‘help’. I have 2 of these and would buy again. Just be aware that they are Chinese and sold under several house brands...FWIW, I paid $75 Cdn for one and $99.99 Cdn for the other.

Edited by shuswap1

6 hours ago, YZ144FirstTimer said:

I'm going to finally buy myself a bike stand this season but am concerned about the aluminum framed YZ125 and the way the bottom doesnt seem to be flat like i see in other bikes. Every time I prop the bike up on a bucket or whatever the front is always super low and wheel is touching the ground because the bike rotates forward on the lower front of the frame.

Any ideas?

Princess Auto has these on sale, $40. You couldn't make it for that price:

I like it. Not quite low enough for some bikes but not too bad if you only have to lift them an inch or rock them on to it. Easily lifts and latches with a foot. Good flat and thin table if you want to bolt something to it.

This one is quite heavy but lifts from low and will hold a heavy bike, not easy to bolt anything to the table. Easily lifts my quad.

This one below is kind of heavy, but a good flat table. I like that it lifts to a great height. Wonderful for an old man who doesn't like to bed over: 

All these come on sale from time to time. All are worth their full price in my opinion. 

• Like 2

As said above, the scissor lift is a great bit of kit that will work on your yz as it comes with clamps to secure in your footpegs. My fe350 rocks until I secure it with the clamps and is fine after so I should think yours will be the same

16 hours ago, sbest said:

Princess Auto has these on sale, $40. You couldn't make it for that price:

8674293.jpg

I like it. Not quite low enough for some bikes but not too bad if you only have to lift them an inch or rock them on to it. Easily lifts and latches with a foot. Good flat and thin table if you want to bolt something to it.

This one is quite heavy but lifts from low and will hold a heavy bike, not easy to bolt anything to the table. Easily lifts my quad.

8319956.jpg

This one below is kind of heavy, but a good flat table. I like that it lifts to a great height. Wonderful for an old man who doesn't like to bed over: 

8667792.jpg

All these come on sale from time to time. All are worth their full price in my opinion. 

Totally agree 

I'm a bit of a tool collector but these stand are so worth it. Have 2 of them. Coupled with a rolling mechanics stool and a few carpet pads for kneeling.

I use them for storing bikes also. Makes it easy to move bikes into tight spaces in the shop.

used a step elevator stand for years on all Honda and Yamahas....just position further to the front on the yz125...all bikes have both wheels off the ground

sbest - what's the brand of that blue scissor lift? I can't see the brand name in your pic and a net search brought up mostly black Pit Posse stands. Thanks.

5 hours ago, fkfw said:

sbest - what's the brand of that blue scissor lift? I can't see the brand name in your pic and a net search brought up mostly black Pit Posse stands. Thanks.

All of these are from the Canadian "Princess Auto" store (much like US Harbor Freight) items that go under the "Power Fist" brand name. 

Edited by sbest

On 2/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, Tankslap said:

It's not perfect (and I don't think it'll work with a lever type stand, not sure), but what I did was I got Works Connection's stand wedge.  You bolt it to the top front edge of the stand so that the bike can sit more level.  You have to get the bike perfectly set on the stand to get the front wheel off the ground, and it's sort of a pain in the butt to position it correctly.  Thankfully the bike is light.  I got mine from Rocky Mtn.

ScreenClip [1].png

ScreenClip [2].png

Just got the red/white Works Connection for my CRF 450R today(wedge is back ordered but may not have needed it as both tires clear the floor[front just minimally]and is pretty stable,though I slid a piece of 1"x4" where the wedge will go and bike was solid as a rock).Stand is definitely strong and well built,would hold a whole lot more weight than a 450.

• Like 1