2016 crf250x should I buy

So I have been searching for a trail bine for a while now. I have always loved kawis. I actually was going to get a kx450f tomorrow but I will not be racing so I don't see a need for a high maintenance race bike. Now that I'm over the I need a 450 phase I have found a 16 crf250x with less then two rides on it. Paint dipples on the tires still. It would be around 5600 out the door. I'm 5'6 and 200 pounds geared up. Will I be disappointed with the power? I'll be driving down dirt roads and trails. As in trails I mean cruising a atv trail down the road from my house. Nothing to technical. Also the price? 5600$ a good price. Like I said it's practically brand new. 

20 minutes ago, Rangerrunner04 said:

So I have been searching for a trail bine for a while now. I have always loved kawis. I actually was going to get a kx450f tomorrow but I will not be racing so I don't see a need for a high maintenance race bike. Now that I'm over the I need a 450 phase I have found a 16 crf250x with less then two rides on it. Paint dipples on the tires still. It would be around 5600 out the door. I'm 5'6 and 200 pounds geared up. Will I be disappointed with the power? I'll be driving down dirt roads and trails. As in trails I mean cruising a atv trail down the road from my house. Nothing to technical. Also the price? 5600$ a good price. Like I said it's practically brand new. 

Yes, they are anemic. I would pass.

You wont be disappointed by the power if you get a CRF450X, but possibly the weight. I uncorked mine, removed the smog, and rejetted and it had plenty of nut. It was FANTASTIC on the double wide trails, and rail road beds (we had a lot of rail road removed in my area) but where it did suffer was when the trail got tighter and more technical. Not because of power, or control, but because of weight. Any mistake was amplified by the bikes weight, and so was picking it up.

My suggestion for a dedicated trial bike, get a 250 2 stroke. Maintenance costs are low (relatively speaking). Try from the past 5/6 years. You can get a bevi of KTM's that are fantastic, and have adjustable power valves for you to tame the power, or let it loose. 

Thanks for the reply. I have definitely looked at the ktms and I would love to get one. I cannot find any around here in Michigan that are newer and priced Right though. As well with the crf450x. I cannot find any of those either. Just plenty of race bikes. 

Power of a CRF250X depends on your intended usage and what previous bikes you've ridden.

Un-corked (simple air box & jetting mods) it is plenty powerful for cruising and ATV trails (heck even a CRF230F would suffice for that!)

I ride more technical stuff and never have I wished for more HP, it always has plenty but still being an MX based engine,

making the power output more tractable for certain situations was the issue until I added a heavier flywheel.

Not the perfect bike in any way but, it does everything very well (even some light MX riding)

and is proven very durable and reliable.  

Edited by mlatour

Well with 5500 what would be best bet. I won't be doing any track at all. I don't want a road legal bike. I've ridden lots of two strokes. Never a newer four-stroke. One thing I would like is a newer bike that looks new as well. 

1 hour ago, Rangerrunner04 said:

Power of a CRF250x isn't really bad but when you combined the weight, suspension and frame it becomes a tiring bike. This is compared to a modern endure bike of any brand. Sure the maintenance is higher but if you are not racing and hitting the limiter, they last a decent amount of time.

38 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Power of a CRF250X depends on your intended usage and what previous bikes you've ridden.

Un-corked (simple air box & jetting mods) it is plenty powerful for cruising and ATV trails (heck even a CRF230F would suffice for that!)

I ride more technical stuff and never have I wished for more HP, it always has plenty but still being an MX based engine,

making the power output more tractable for certain situations was the issue until I added a heavier flywheel.

Not the perfect bike in any way but, it does everything very well (even some light MX riding)

and is proven very durable and reliable.  

The CRF250x hasn't change in 10+ years and nowhere near a MX motor. Adding a FWW to this motor would turn it into a boring bike. It already has good traction/torque just not a good frame, again compared to todays bikes. Best mode you can do to the CRF250x is add all the CRF250r parts. Cheap and easy mods with good gains. CRF250x is a capable tight trail bike just at the end of the day you're tired. Personally there is no reason to get a CRF250x other then cheap price and what the OP posted isn't it. If he wants a 2t then look at brands like Beta, KTM and Husqvarna. Newer are better for handling but get the newest you can afford, same goes for 4t's. Beta's 4t are the modern day XR400 and are reliable. Right now (I believe still available) for a bit more you can get a 2017 FE250 new, plated and much better bike then a CRF250x with room to grow.

Yeah I have looked into those too. Not really in my price range as I don't want to buy new. Also wanted to stick with Honda or kawi. I'd love to have the power of the kx450f but I think that will be too much maintenance. 

i have a 06 250x and a 17 husky 300. i put 200 hours on the 250x and i kept it as its a great bike.

it can do everything the new husky can do but not as fast or as easily. i got it with a jd jet kit, airbox mod, stage 2 hot cam and a full dr. d exhaust. its fast enough for trails and rips with mx bikes down roads. its a really capable bike but on the heavier side and doesn't turn the best. for that price i would say go for it and get a 250r cam and an exhaust and the jd jet kit if you feel its not enough. 

another option i would consider is a used yz250fx or the newer style wr250f. 

For the husky is it reliable? And what about parts and when it breaks. Is that more expensive than any other Honda yamaha or kawi? Is it a high maintenance bike? 

Husky is not as durable but it’s also a modern 4t. Parts are as available as a KTM since it’s an XCF-w or EXC but white. it’s not as high maintenance as the MX bikes but not as low as the CRF. No problem getting 250-300 hrs out of the motor before any issues. I prefer an FE over an FX as I fell it lays over much better, not as tall and more power. Flip side FX has much better suspension 

first off its a 2017 TE300 2 stroke. parts are similar prices as jap ones. its been pretty reliable but i did have motor failure at 60 hours (covered by warranty) and fork seal blow out at 12 hours. New its about 30% more than a honda or yamaha but its a premium bike. its not super high maintenance motor wise and similar to a crf250x for everything else.

bearings, bushings and wear items when worn out and cheep rebuilds is why i went 2 stroke. for a first bike for cruising around its not worth it. 

I would recommend a yamaha yz250 2 stroke. reliable, nimble , cheap to work on and great power. retard the timing a bit so its not too snappy and do the head mod (squish and dome) for pump fuel. and you got yourself a perfect trail bike

• Like 1

If this helps I'll be riding with someone with a king quad 750. I'll be more doing open ridong. I'm surrounded by miles of dirt roads. I wanna be able to cruise around at 50 an not worry about the engine working to hard. I don't wanna be always looking for more power. Had a klr650 for a while but just to big for what I'm using it for. 

Edited by Rangerrunner04

No I've been riding since I was 8. I use to ride a 250 two stroke before I could even touch a foot down. 

Then I quit riding for 5 years because I moved to town. Now I'm back out in the county. I would love to have a kx450f there's a 2015 low hour used one at a decent price. I'm not afraid of it over heating because I won't be going slow at all. I don't mind changing the oil every few rides or so. I just don't wanna be spending 2gs on maitnence every season though. 

For the usage you've described, an off-road / enduro specific bike sounds much better suited than an MX race bike.

- wide-ratio gearbox (lower first, taller 5th than an MX'er) for more low speed grunt AND less revving at faster speeds.

- headlight (allows you to ride later, more visible to oncoming trail traffic)

- e-start  (always handy in off-camber situations if ever you decide to try more technical terrain)

- plusher suspension settings

- more torquey engine power characteristics 

- usually a larger capacity fuel tank with a reserve setting on the petcock

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, weantright said:

Power of a CRF250x isn't really bad but when you combined the weight, suspension and frame it becomes a tiring bike. This is compared to a modern endure bike of any brand. Sure the maintenance is higher but if you are not racing and hitting the limiter, they last a decent amount of time.

The CRF250x hasn't change in 10+ years and nowhere near a MX motor. Adding a FWW to this motor would turn it into a boring bike. It already has good traction/torque just not a good frame, again compared to todays bikes. Best mode you can do to the CRF250x is add all the CRF250r parts. Cheap and easy mods with good gains. CRF250x is a capable tight trail bike just at the end of the day you're tired. Personally there is no reason to get a CRF250x other then cheap price and what the OP posted isn't it. If he wants a 2t then look at brands like Beta, KTM and Husqvarna. Newer are better for handling but get the newest you can afford, same goes for 4t's. Beta's 4t are the modern day XR400 and are reliable. Right now (I believe still available) for a bit more you can get a 2017 FE250 new, plated and much better bike then a CRF250x with room to grow.

Please enlighten us about this frame issue you speak of, I own several of these machines as do some of my riding buddies, should we be concerned of some safety issue?

On 2/2/2018 at 11:05 AM, Rangerrunner04 said:

I have owned a lot of bikes since the sixties and I've competed in Scrambles, MX , Desert, Enduro. and Trials. Bike choice really revolves around your riding terrain, skill level, and expectations. You can ride almost anything anywhere but those choices don't validate your decision.  I hate Trials and MX bikes for trail riding so my suggestion is get a real off road bike, and a X is one.

On 2/2/2018 at 1:12 PM, weantright said:

BS. Ive owned and competed with a lot of open class 2T and 4T bikes and if you want a serious trail bike go CRF250X, all of the bigger bikes, and MX bikes are foo-foo for trail riding.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:55 PM, Carman said:

i have a 06 250x and a 17 husky 300. i put 200 hours on the 250x and i kept it as its a great bike.

it can do everything the new husky can do but not as fast or as easily. i got it with a jd jet kit, airbox mod, stage 2 hot cam and a full dr. d exhaust. its fast enough for trails and rips with mx bikes down roads. its a really capable bike but on the heavier side and doesn't turn the best. for that price i would say go for it and get a 250r cam and an exhaust and the jd jet kit if you feel its not enough. 

another option i would consider is a used yz250fx or the newer style wr250f. 

I really liked the Husky 300 but not enough to switch from Honda XRs and CRF/Xs.

7 hours ago, mlatour said:

For the usage you've described, an off-road / enduro specific bike sounds much better suited than an MX race bike.

- wide-ratio gearbox (lower first, taller 5th than an MX'er) for more low speed grunt AND less revving at faster speeds.

- headlight (allows you to ride later, more visible to oncoming trail traffic)

- e-start  (always handy in off-camber situations if ever you decide to try more technical terrain)

- plusher suspension settings

- more torquey engine power characteristics 

- usually a larger capacity fuel tank with a reserve setting on the petcock

Yes, this is it. And a CRF250X delivers, and so do Honda XRs and the CRF230F (with mods). Depending on where you ride even a CRF250X needs mods.  I have a Montesa Trials bike, a late and much modded XR218, and a CRF250X. I ride a lot of technical gnarly trails and the XR is my first choice, however the X will do. If the ride is very gnarly then only the Trials bike. If you ride wide open trails than it doesn't matter what you ride , even a street bike will work.

• Like 2